Slightly Exposed Pistol Handle in my pant pocket in Washington State and I have CPL.

Slightly Exposed Pistol Handle in my pant pocket in Washington State and I have CPL.

This is a discussion on Slightly Exposed Pistol Handle in my pant pocket in Washington State and I have CPL. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I apologize if this topic has been discussed already but I did not see when I searched the forums. At least not for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Slightly Exposed Pistol Handle in my pant pocket in Washington State and I have CPL.

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed already but I did not see when I searched the forums. At least not for Washington State.

I just obtained my CPL here in Washington. I purchased a S&W 642 Airweight revolver which I plan to carry with me for protection. I have read through the RCW's here in Washington and can't really find a concrete answer for this question.

I don't wear jackets, hoodies or any other baggy clothing. I've always been most comfortable wearing just flip-flops, fitted jeans and a slightly snug T-shirt. I don't want to change this just because I start carrying. Although my revolver is very small, my front and rear pockets in my jeans only cover about 90% of the pistol when placed inside. About 1" of handle is exposed out of my pocket and there is some printing outline of the rest of the pistol.

Question is....is this legal? I know Washington is an Open Carry state. I've read that if a concealed weapon is exposed in any way, it just means it's now Open Carry which is also allowed. Is this correct?

I did find this RCW (RCW 9.41.270) under "Unlawful carrying or handling" which reads..

(1) "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Now, I would believe a completely exposed open carry pistol would in fact "manifest an intent to intimidate another or that warrant alarm for the safety of other persons" when out and about in the public. But this is legal.

So wouldn't it be safe to assume a slightly exposed handle from a concealed jean pocket would no more "manifest an intent to intimidate another or that warrant alarm for the safety of other persons" than an open carry would right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    By law in most states, if any portion of the gun is such that it can be visually recognized as a gun, it is NOT concealed. That is not a problem if the state allows open carry.

In Louisiana, you would be ok, in TX you would be in a heap o trouble boy.

Is WA an open carry state? If so, you should be OK. If not, you might be charged with openly carrying or even printing.

SOrry to say this, but concealed carry will require a change of dress. I have to wear coats when the weather is 100 degrees. I have to wear pants a little too big to accomodate IWB holster. All my shorts are one size larger.
    ArmyCop, spdracr39 and Taurahe like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Open Carry is legal in Washington state, so you will likely be fine. You will likely be told by most people on here that you should conceal it better... I am not going to weigh in on that argument...

I will say that you should know the laws in Washington state about open carry, since it will be those laws that make it legal for you to have the grip of your gun exposed.
    ArmyCop and Taurahe like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

As others here have pointed out, if you want to carry concealed you must make some wardrobe adjustments. Aside from the legal restrictions on a non-open carry state, there are many places in this country where the mere glimpse of a gun will send people into utter hysteria. This will cause panic stricken 911 calls, which may have embarrassing results for you. Sad, but true, this is reality.

If you visit a jurisdiction that does NOT allow 'Open Carry', you could be arrested for 'brandishing' is 'any' part of your sidearm is exposed. Period.

Also, there can be exceptions in your own State, even though few know about them. Better to be VERY cautious about keeping weapon concealed.

That can even include taking it out to lock it in your trunk safe.

Concealed mean concealed . Open carry means open carry. Concealing it and having part of the gun exposed.. some may consider brandishing . If you want to conceal carry sometimes you need to make adjustments in the wardrobe or gun to avoid hassle

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The statute you quoted is in direct conflict with basic open carry and probably not enforceable unless it "manifests an intent to intimidate another."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    You need to learn to dress around your gun. good luck

In Seattle if you OC ppl call the cops while you eat at a restaurant . If they see any part of your gun they call the cops. Even if it's legal you just attract attention from sheep. Unless you want to be the guy to quote your rights and get bothered all the time......A Pain in my opinion so nobody sees mine.

Kind of begs the question of whether you intend to carry concealed or open. You have the permit to conceal, there are advantages to carrying concealed. Why do you now want to carry openly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Legally, you're fine. Practically, pocket carry of a revolver is less than ideal. Why don't you just go straight open carry and get yourself a good pancake style holster?

VIP Member
    Looks like others have answered your question, so just let me say: Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Welcome

Try different cut of trousers/jeans. I wear Wrangler Comfort Fit chinos, usually pleated and the pockets are very deep and conceal my 641 very well. Alternative is to have a seamstres sew in an extended and reinforced pocket as shown below. I had this done on some jeans that did have too small pockets.

6703C3EE8B4A4011949B4FAF60923D73.jpg
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    One thing to consider, if you are short on bucks, is to sew a pocket onto the bottom of your pocket: open the seam at the bottom of your pocket, and sew an extension on it to fit the barrel of your revolver. It will then ride lower. You'll need to de-lint it periodically, and forget carrying anything else in that pocket, but it will work. If it's a stainless steel barrel, you could merely open the seam and let it poke out of the hole you just created (though you would want to reinforce the edges so the hold didn't get bigger).

Big Bill 1948 work pants have good-sized pockets, too... at least in the 58" waist version...
    Arborigine likes this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links