The ''comfort trade-off''

This is a discussion on The ''comfort trade-off'' within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can not carry outside yet. Not until Jan 1, 07. I have a G 27 for when the time is right. Not as big ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ''comfort trade-off''

I can not carry outside yet. Not until Jan 1, 07. I have a G 27 for when the time is right. Not as big and heavy as some of you carry,
    but durring the summer season I carry a raidio on strong side, so I am used to the weight of something being there, and around the house I don't know it is there untill I hit it against the arm of kitchen chair.

2. Remove Ads

I've noticed that I'm actually more comfortable carrying a bigger gun in a belt holster and dressing around it than I am trying to hide a smaller gun in "normal" clothes.

I have got used to carrying my 1911 and don't find it uncomfortable anymore. I usually just wear a slightly "too big" shirt and carry it in a OWB holster. If I carry it IWB I can conceal it under a normal fitting T-shirt. I have had many holsters over the years and many of them were uncomfortable and didn't conceal that well. After I found Rhome Desbiens on this site, I have two holsters from him and now I carry comfortably and very well concealed.

I think the proper holster and belt make a huge difference in comfort and concealability. Also I dress around my pistol rather than choosing a pistol for how I want to dress.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 38+p air weight OTB. I have to say that I can't even tell it's there. I have had clothing issues, but they have been resolved.

I am a fan of the 1911s and own several, but I wanted something that I knew I would carry. I didn't want to start making the normal excuses like "it's too heavy" or "it's too bulky".

I may trade up to a larger carry gun later, but for now I am extremely happy with my choice.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

A good rig makes packing a fullsize comfortable and concealable. You will still have to dress around the gun, but that's a minor cost in my book.

Glock G17 - Alessi CQC/S or Fin Design IWB (PCH coming)

Senior Moderator
    I've worn my Smartcarry often enought that I feel uncomfortable without it. If I'm carrying IWB I will some times wonder why the weight is different. I now think it is commonplace to bring a IWB holster with you to buy clothes. You have to know how they fit with a Smartcarry and an IWB

Maybe it's been said many times around here, but concealed carry is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

That said, I have been fortunate to find a combination, or number of combinations, for carrying my Glock 26 that feel good.

My main carry mode is IWB, Milt Sparks Watch Six on a Liger Gun Belt...I found that "sweet spot" at about 4:30, and it is comfy. It can, however, be clunky on an unpadded chair back, so we prefer to sit in padded booths when we're out to eat. For cover garment, I have found microfiber v-neck vests to be great, since they blouse out at the waist area and cover it very well--and, no, they do not "scream gun". As we get to colder weather, some bulkier sweaters will also do the trick. In three of the seasons in MN, one is never short of garments for cover...

For OWB, I'm headed P95carry's way...Chris has shared pics of his K&D Eagle Defender, and I have one on order, complete with embossed eagle head. I know I'll find it holds to the body better than the former IWB holster, plus with that fancy design will serve as my "barbecue holster"....
    Last edited by JimmyC4; November 12th, 2006 at 02:20 AM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Maybe it's been said many times around here, but concealed carry is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.
    :

I do not see why it can not be both. Being comfortable makes it comforting. Carrying a certain weapon or putting your weapon in a certain holster are decissions one makes. Carrying a certain weapon you trust is comforting but might not be comfortable but that would be a decission you would make. Comforting and comfortable are two different things. You do not have to chose one or the other unless that is what you decide to do. You can find a combination to make both come together. Like I said it maybe costly but I feel CCWing in my opinion being comfortable will make my CCWing life more comforting.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Several years ago my full size 1911 got too heavy. After some looking around I started carring a 3",25Oz,1911. This was what I needed to get "comfortable" again.

There is no excuse not to carry something. The people that do not carry a firearm because of this or that,simply do not want to carry a firearm. They need to tell it like it is.

I never try to talk someone into carring a firearm for the first time, or again. I will give them some of the options available to them(sizes,calibers,operation,finish,ammo availability,recoil,etc.)and leave it at that.

The decission is theirs. Sometimes they come back to me for more info. Sometimes they don't. It's all the same to me. --------

VIP Member
    I do not notice it being uncomfortable; however, sometimes feels a little lopsided.

IMO, most people, with the right belt/holster/clothing combination, are capable of concealing a full/service size weapon. The only time I carry a "small" gun is when I'm in a NPE (non-permissive environment) where deep-concealment is necessary.

I personally don't find IWB to be uncomfortable, yeah it took a few weeks to get used to, but now I feel weird if I don't have my pistol in its regular place.

When it really comes down to it, I tend to agree with whoever said that "a handgun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable" (Clint Smith? Ayoob?). Barring the need for the aforementioned deep concealment, I'll suck up a little discomfort to carry a real gun.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My EDC rig is a 3" Kimber 1911 in .45ACP in a Tucker "The Answer" leather/Kydex hybrid IWB, supported by a Liger belt.

On my middle-aged body, the front Comp-Tac clip sits on the seam of my right trouser leg. I wear this 12-16 hours per day. No discomfort, even at the end of a long day. I've been known to lay down and take a 2 hour nap with this rig.

IMHO, Tucker's "Answer" is about as comfortable as one could ask for. And it is still fast, secure, and concealable.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

I always carry two guns now days. If I have a concealment issue, one of the two will work. So, carrying two can help balance out your carry guns (one for each side).
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Assistant Administrator
    I've noticed that I'm actually more comfortable carrying a bigger gun in a belt holster and dressing around it than I am trying to hide a smaller gun in "normal" clothes.
    Good point Euc and one I find too. Despite the bulk and weight of my 226 it is very easy to gain a high comfort level.

"Comforting'' - yes I think that will always outweigh any slight discomfort.

My ''discomfort'' is actually of course pretty minor having found the combo I have but - where there is a difference between carry and no carry, is usually situations such as driving, biking, even in fact sitting here in my puter chair!

As I hope is obvious, I readily accept my minor discomfort factor as do we all. I do feel ''undressed'' when not packing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My G36 is comfortable to carry, but I STILL KNOW THAT IT IS THERE. I like that. I do not want to forget about the location of the weapon on my person.

Most CCWs provide some small level of discomfort at first. This is easy to get used to.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links