The ''comfort trade-off''

This is a discussion on The ''comfort trade-off'' within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seriously, I have been used to carrying a full weight 1911 + Extra mags for so many years that anything lighter still seems like a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ''comfort trade-off''

Administrator
    Seriously, I have been used to carrying a full weight 1911 + Extra mags for so many years that anything lighter still seems like a vacation.

The weight does not bother me at all.

During HOT, humid summer I like to go slightly lighter & smaller since I'm dressing MUCH lighter.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    It's a little bit uncomfortable when I carry my XD 45, but I do like the firepower. Most of the time,since I work 4 days a week, I use a Nemesis pocket holster with my Glock 25.When I wear cargo style pants ( I can find cargos that will be "dressy" enough fior work), there isn;t any discomfort. The only discomfort with regular pants is the loss of the use of my right front pocket. My left becomes crowded with my credit card wallet and keys. So the vast majority of the time there is no discomfort for me. So I find no reason not to be armed.

Since I got my CHL I have been going through a lot of guns looking for the "perfect" carry gun for me. Started with a full size 1911 went to a .38 snub. Like it but, it had reliability issues. Got a 1911 officers model. I like it a lot then I picked up the SA XD 9. So far it is the best for me. Thinking about getting a Ruger .357 now. Seems like a good trade off between power and size. Feels more uncomfortable to not have a pistol on my hip now.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; November 12th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Feels more uncomfortable to not have a pistol on my hip now.
    There ya go! Once we feel ''nekkid'' with no rig we have ''arrived'' - even if a small discomfort factor still remains.

That is anyways relative and when I mention it I am talking minor - simply the ''freedom'' difference between normal carry mode and zilch. I'll take the small extra burden with relish - and do!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry a G-35 in a Kydex IWB Its not to bad. I was wondering if anybody out there has what i think they call a royal gaurd. It,s a IWB leather and snaps around your belt.I would like to know how comfortable they are with a full size gun like a G-35 or 1911 before i spend $85.+
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I carry my Kimber tactical all the time. It has a 5" barrel and I still don't have a problem being comfortable. I used to carry my xd-40 all the time. Just love the feel of a 1911...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

My comfort comes mostly from knowing that if a bad situation arises that I won't be caught with my "pants down" -- so to speak. I had to be at a school meeting the other night without my carry piece and my discomfort level rose significantly.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

sjones said,
    as Clint said,its not meant to be comfortable,but rather comforting
    Yep, I have heard Clint this and have read it in one of his articles. Sadly, Because Clint Smith said it, there are a goodly number of people who have taken it to heart and are satisfied with wearing uncomfortable rigs.

The statement bespeaks of a goodly amount of ignorance, even if a gun guru like Clint Smith said it. Personally, I think it is one of his gun school truisms to get students to stop complaining.

A gun is neither meant to be comfortable or uncomfortable. However, there are a lot of rigs out there and a lot of guns out there and there is no reason a gun of decent caliber can be found to be worn in a comfortable fashion. If your gun is uncomfortable, then you either have the wrong type of holster, wrong gun, wrong belt, or is being worn in the wrong place.

For IWB, I have found Milt Sparks VM2 rigs to work very well with a 1911 and be comfortable. I have also found several OWB rigs to be very comfortable as well.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I reached the conclusion that now days there is no reason you cant have comfort, concealment and effectiveness. The handgun manufacturers are starting to design for ccw not just lop a half inch off the barrel and call it a ccw gun . Makers are turning out smaller,lighter , melted , reliable guns of serious caliber now . Holster design and materials have come a long way in the last 10 years too.
    So with a bit of looking , and thinking IMHO you can have it all . Why settle for less now days ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I've found a good IWB holster/gun combo so I'm not too uncomfortable but...

I'm sure glad for this cool weather so I can go OWB for a few months!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links