The ''comfort trade-off''

This is a discussion on The ''comfort trade-off'' within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have, pretty much for me - my 'ultimate' carry combo - the K&D Eagle Defender and my 226 ST. It sits well. OK, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ''comfort trade-off''

Assistant Administrator

The ''comfort trade-off''

I have, pretty much for me - my 'ultimate' carry combo - the K&D Eagle Defender and my 226 ST. It sits well.

OK, I choose large and heavy but even if I had on my SW99 - it would still be a technically a minor incumberance.

I say this because - on the (very, very) rare occasion I have no rig on me, I do find the slight extra feel of freedom and comfort is pleasing. That said - I accept my small degree of discomfort easily - it is as nothing compared to the constant availability of my one means of ''get outa trouble''.

Chatted with an old bud today who also carries - in his case a full size 1911 - and we were agreed on this. Nice if it wasn't there but - well worth the small comfort 'sacrifice'' to have it on hand at all times.

I do recall tho another guy at shooting club who actually made the ''discomfort factor'' his sole reason for hardly carrying at all. He could conceal - yes but, was not prepared to forego his max comfort.

I think the majority of us who carry with some regularity have to accept this small downside, even if the gun is a small pocket carry - but the bonus is, having the means available. I'll accept that any and every day. Most of us here do too I fancy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

well I found I have gotten used to the disconfory factor. It was rough, but now I don't notice it..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'd rather be uncomfortable than dead.

Lead Moderator
    Yep, for me it's wearing the right type of clothing for concealment. The gun weight isn't really noticable to me most days.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

95, My primary is .38. Yes, I do have a 1911, but the .38 is more comfortable and I have accepted the trade off in power and rounds. Yes, carry can be frustrating at first, but soon it just comes natural. Our times are tough and you need whatever edge you can have. Once again good post friend.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I agree 100%.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Administrator
    Nobody ever said it was supposed to be comfortable.
    Necessary...but not always perfectly comfortable.
    Lots of folks don't cinch their carry belt up tight enough either & then wonder why their rig does not conceal the firearm correctly.

OK, maybe I'm lucky but I don't really find carry, even IWB carry of a 1911 Commander the least bit uncomfortable. I've got a good holster and belt which has helped immensely. I also sometimes carry a snub with equal comfort, no problem. I'll admit that part of it is it takes a lot to make me uncomfortable. Or maybe I've lost too many brain cells?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

i carry IWB and usually now a 4 1/4 also carry owb in cold weather but i feel about putting the gun on like i do my pants nothing more nothing less

VIP Member
    Comfort means a lot to me. I have finally found that happy medium. It was not a cheap route though. I perfer a larger weapon like my G17 but found after a full day of standing, stooping and moving around, my weapon and gun belt was constantly sliding down. I feel that is defeating concealing if you constantly have to make adjustments in public. I went to a smaller caliber and weapon. I went to a Bersa Thunder 380 and a new carry rig for summer. Solved the problem, I hardly notice I have it on. I also carry 2 extra mags for more fire power. Now that cold weather is hitting Missouri, I'll be carrying my larger weapons in a shoulder holster. I find shoulder Holsters to be very comfortible. The down side of a shoulder holster is coming in from the outside, you can not take your coat off.

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I would find the thought of 'dead' to be very uncomfortable.
    My Kimber Ultra?...not really uncomfortable (no more than a wallet)...
    My Glock-36 in an SOB (IWB)...forget it's there...

No CCW...very uncomfortable, in fact, that's probably more uncomfortable than all of the above...

OMO...actually it's more that an opinion...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

as Clint said,its not meant to be comfortable,but rather comforting. sj

pax
    I've never found it that uncomfortable. (Mine's a G26 in a Blade-Tech UCH, appendix carry.)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I used a N frame S&W in 2.5 and 4 inch or a Delta Elite for almost 20 years till I was injuried. After several back operations and almost 3 years of healing and therapy to relearn how to walk again. My choices became limited. I went to a Kahr K9 and a S&W 60-14. And I still have some problems with the weight but I can deal with it. The trade off between calibers did bother me but as I was taught shot placement is what counts.

I will admit to copping out to comfort, sort of. I went through several carry guns on my transition toward comfort. From a full size 1911 to a few smaller autos. The last auto I carried was a taurus millenium, then I got my Taurus 85 ultralight 38spl. It's light and if I need to I can carry it in my pocket, but usually carry it OWB and it is easy to conceal. I like revolvers for many reasons, so it works for me, but I will admit that comfort is the #1 reason I chose it originally.

Loaded with 38+p GDHP, I don't feel like I have traded off having enough power. I could get more comfort from a .380 or smaller, but am not willing to sacrifice power by going smaller than .38 spl. So I would say I have reached a personal equilibrium point in the comfort v. power equation.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links