This is why I always say, "don't carry in a purse".

This is a discussion on This is why I always say, "don't carry in a purse". within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is why I always say, "don't carry in a purse." Moss Hill cafe robbed, owner assaulted...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: This is why I always say, "don't carry in a purse".

This is why I always say, "don't carry in a purse."

Moss Hill cafe robbed, owner assaulted
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I wasn't there and can't really judge, but I'll betcha having a little better SA 'might've' helped. Your right though, a purse is no place for a firearm.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I hope she wasn't injured badly! I agree, the purse isn't a good way to carry. It makes me cringe when I see the Maxpedition "man purses" pimped out with holsters in the CCW compartment. Odds are a man-purse snatcher is more likely to steal your gun than you are to draw it! Only time I could see carrying in a bag or purse is 1) when it can't really be on you, 2) while hiking or camping or 3) sometimes while in a vehicle, depending on the situation. While out in the woods you >> should << be aware of another human before you're in a confrontation, and if you need it for popping a skunk or snake you'll probably have time to access it. A charging bear or puma, maybe not! Also, in a car with the windows up and the doors locked you >> should << be able to get the gun out in time to use it, and the locked door should prevent someone from snatching your "murse" before you can get the gun out.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I hope she wasn't injured badly!......
    No, she's fine. She was released that same night or the next day. Can't remember.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

You don't like my purse???? 00.jpg
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

To say carrying in a purse is bad based on one incident doesn't make sense. Plenty of women have successfully defended their lives with purse carried guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    You don't like my purse???? 00.jpg
    "It's a European carry-all" !!!
    OldVet likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    To say carrying in a purse is bad based on one incident doesn't make sense. Plenty of women have successfully defended their lives with purse carried guns.
    I agree, I can't just broadbrush it and say it's 100 % bad all the time.

My wife is a purse carrier. I understand all of the arguments against it, and granted I'd rather her CC some other way, but it isn't going to happen with her. She's very responsible and diligent with her purse and has good habits in carrying it (I've been watching her). She recently retired from 30+ years of work, so she's been very active publically and never lost a purse or had it stolen in her life.

I think it has its place, but it's not for everyone.........especially ME !
    bigmacque, RickyD and phreddy like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I hate to be a nit-picker, but the article doesn't actually tell us whether she was carrying in her purse or not. It says the BG took her purse and the .38, but not took her purse with her .38 in it.

I'm sorry ..... I apologize in advance if my efforts to recognize details is a PIYA.
    Snub44 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

My wife carries her revolver in her purse and I have told her that should she need it, getting it out of there is not going to be easy. She knows this but at least she carries it.

She is aware that thieves target purses and makes sure not to sling it over her shoulder so that it can be easily snatched. I would feel much better if she didn't purse carry, but knowing she does carry her gun is good too.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I would never carry in a purse.

I can't count the number of times my wife and MIL couldn't find their purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It takes forever for my wife to find her keys or cellphone in her dufflebag she calls her purse. A gun carried there would be useless.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not that im disagreeing with the overall theme here but the article does not say the gun was in the purse.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I've seen some purses that were made for carrying, and candidly when that's that best option some of those purses are excellent choices. I'd also believe that while many are like my wife and some of other examples given here -- often having a hard time finding their keys, their sunglasses, whatever in that cavern they call a purse -- when carrying something as heavy, both in figurative and literal terms, as a pistol I'd bet they'd keep the presence of a gun uppermost in their mind.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

This may seem like a silly question but I think it fits in here. If you are used to being armed at all times what do you do when you go to the beach/pool?
    It would seem at least in these situations a bag makes sense, no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links