"Just cause" what a joke!

This is a discussion on "Just cause" what a joke! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future. I never looked into CA gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "Just cause" what a joke!

"Just cause" what a joke!

So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future. I never looked into CA gun laws before and was floored as I read. Coming from AZ, holding a CCW permit and frequently CC, I feel as though all my 2nd amendment rights are being stripped from me. I was disgusted when I read that I need "just cause" to file for a CCW permit. I guess protecting myself and family isn't "just cause" enough. This honestly really bothers me. On top of it all, my 13 round clips are also useless. I can go on and on, but I think everyone understands. With all that said, are my chances for obtaining a CCW permit as an average citizen pretty much out the window? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to DC! Some CA folks will chime in, but inland it may not be as hard to get a license as you might think. Depends on the County and the Sheriff IIRC., but someone will have much better answers.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

i moved from mostly non-issue California to shall-issue Washington State. much nicer here.

as for your situation: issuance of CWP's in Calif. is pretty much up to the local police chief or sheriff. if you can locate a county somewhere in the Sacramento area where the sheriff is more pro-gun, you have a chance. i would suspect that very few police chiefs will issue CWP's. good luck.

A little googling indicates that Sacramento is perhaps a reasonably good chance to be issued a CCP "just because". But, there could be a long wait to get the permit. Get a letter from your local sheriff or chief of police in AZ before you go, attesting to your good character and past history with CCP - that should cut the residency requirement. (1 year residency to get a permit? That's so, so...well, I won't go there.)
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I was born and raised in San Diego Ca, but I was smart enough to leave. Your chances of obtaining aCCW in Ca are completely dependent on the county in which you reside. The Sherriff of Mendocino county has no problem issuing them to the general populace, while the Sherriff of Los Angeles county only approves them for celebrities and politicians. I highly recommend you research the area you plan to move to, and seek out a 2A friendly county...
    Hoganbeg and tcox4freedom like this.

I'd say that "just living" would be a "just cause" for having a firearm and permit.
    Taurahe and Aceoky like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. As for your getting a carry permit in CA, it seems to be a hit or miss proposition, depending on where your located. Not sure how up to date this map is, but it may help you chose where to live:

Concealed Firearm Carry Permit in California: Information Database
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    Time to get a new job.

Welcome to the forum.
    Taurahe and TVJ like this.

I will never live outside of America. There is really only like 45 states in the United states of America. California, New York, Illinois etc flew the coup and left the union IMO. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Well, hopefully you can start a movement to start voting in some common sense back into CA. I left there 18 yrs ago and have not regrets just becausse of the politics of taxation.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Welcome.
    Sorry to hear of your move to Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by blk88 View Post
    So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future.
    If needing to work in Sacramento major metro area, check into the surrounding counties for where to live, as it's the sheriff of your county of residence who determines whether to issue your CHL. And there are plenty of decently rational sheriffs in the "wilder" counties in the state. You needn't simply live in Sacto county, not just because you work in Sacto.

I never looked into CA gun laws before and was floored as I read. I feel as though all my 2nd amendment rights are being stripped from me.
    Many nanny-state prohibitions and requirements are indeed being dumped on you. But the CHL in California isn't that bad, once you've got it. Yes, you're forced to have secure storage. And yes if you get found out in San Francisco you'll likely get stuffed through the wringer (CHL or not). But a CHL from your county of residence is good state-wide.

I was disgusted when I read that I need "just cause" to file for a CCW permit. I guess protecting myself and family isn't "just cause" enough.
    You're right. In California, defense of your very life isn't considered just cause. How that little bit of arbitrary lunacy ever got on the books, I'll never know. But it's there. Start crafting a good and decent statement. You're gonna need it. But keep in mind this is one of the main reasons the "wilder" (more rural) counties are worthwhile: they tend to have very pro-gun, pro-liberty sheriffs who appreciate having the assistance of an armed, experienced citizenry.

On top of it all, my 13 round clips are also useless.
    Check to see whether existing gear that can be proved to have been owned prior to the 1994 AWB can be grandfathered/kept. Somehow I doubt it, but perhaps some of the CA carriers will know for certain.

With all that said, are my chances for obtaining a CCW permit as an average citizen pretty much out the window?
    Outside the urban liberal liberty-hating hotspots, most counties issue CHL's readily.

Check out the CalGuns.net forums. Over there, there's a good section on CA counties and the relative ease or difficulty in being issued a CHL there. They vary, but mostly it's the urban liberty-hating hotspots that are verboten for anyone less than God or politically-connected folk.

Good luck.

BTW, I had a CA CHL for 10+ years. It was fine. Though, I was in a rural county where few were denied (only folks for cause, not for failing the arbitrary "sniff" test on the "just cause" element).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It depends where you are as it's county / sheriff based.
    Where are you moving? Placer, El Dorado, Yolo, or Sacramento County?

I grew up in Commifornia. Lived in Sac. for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by blk88 View Post
    So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future. I never looked into CA gun laws before and was floored as I read. Coming from AZ, holding a CCW permit and frequently CC, I feel as though all my 2nd amendment rights are being stripped from me. I was disgusted when I read that I need "just cause" to file for a CCW permit. I guess protecting myself and family isn't "just cause" enough. This honestly really bothers me. On top of it all, my 13 round clips are also useless. I can go on and on, but I think everyone understands. With all that said, are my chances for obtaining a CCW permit as an average citizen pretty much out the window? Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum! I'm a Kalifornistan native...lived there 50 years. However, I left three years ago and don't plan on ever going back primarily because of the anti-gun, anti-2A laws. The "just cause" law was passed by the legislature to give the appearance that they cared about our second amendment rights, but it is just lip service. The majority of the leadership in Sacramento are anti-gun to the point that they would confiscate all guns if they could. I hate to say this, but you have a better chance of being elected President than getting a CCW. Granted, some parts of the Sacramento area are more lenient, however in general it is almost impossible to obtain a CCW. That being said, you should at least give it a shot...but of course, the magazine limit is just another hurdle to overcome. Perhaps a job change instead of re-locating???
    If guns kill people does that mean that pencils misspell words??

Quote Originally Posted by RevTracy View Post
    I hate to say this, but you have a better chance of being elected President than getting a CCW.
    Only in anti-gunner counties.

In the vast majority of counties, getting a CHL is fairly straightforward, if not all but guaranteed. One needn't reside in Sacramento County, necessarily, even if one works in Sacto.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links