Going to FL, Some Questions

This is a discussion on Going to FL, Some Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling to Florida, land of 1 million plus CWFLs and about as many gang members and criminals (sorry Floridians, you know it's true), ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Going to FL, Some Questions

I'll be traveling to Florida, land of 1 million plus CWFLs and about as many gang members and criminals (sorry Floridians, you know it's true), Miami specifically for 5 days starting next Thursday and I have a few questions. I'm going for a 2 day conference then making it a mini vacation with the lady friend for the next three (I assume she will spend Thurs/Friday tanning and shopping). Now, the questions:

1) I have a TX resident CHL (obviously) and a FL nonresident CWFL, which should I bring? Just FL? Just TX? Both?

2) I'm just going to bring one gun, probably the G27, possibly the P2000SK. I actually thinking about getting a pocket holster and using that. Any suggestions? Either gun will be carried with the basic 9rd flat base magazine and I'll also take a spare mag with me.

3) Any 'must visit' LGSs in the Miami area I should hit up? My GF doesn't mind too much and hey, it's payback for the expected Bal Harbor & Lincoln Road time I'm going to be exposed too.

4) This is more general, but can you fly with OC in your checked luggage or would I have to buy it in FL and dump it when I leave? It is actually for my GF since she doesn't have a CHL (yet) and usually carries that with her here.

I think that's all I need to know, I hope I don't get swallowed by a sink hole or have my face eaten off while I'm there...

Florida recognizes Texas permit so that is the one you should bring. Look at handgunlaw.us and that should answer any questions you have. Shows laws for all states.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    1. Might as well throw both in your wallet, but your FL CWFL is all you need.
    2. No idea on the holster.
    3. Miami is one big gun store. Stop at any street corner and ask to buy one. The selection and availability will be amazing.
    4. Negative on packing OC in your bags.
    bigmacque and MJB_17 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'll never forget my last trip to Miami. A great aunt had passed away and left some property to the family, and I drew short straw and had to go scout out the viability of the location, location, location. The cops on the corners were one clue, but I started into the area this was located, took a look around, and drove back to Pompano to drop off my family -- no way was I taking them in there. For some odd reason I drove the hour drive back, spent about 20 minutes coming the conclusion that the best thing to do with this house was turn it over to any willing realtor and got the heck out of Dodge.

OldVet offers some good knowledge: bring both, holster whatever you feel comfortable with, go shopping for something nice, and keep your girlfriend at your side because unfortunately she's going to be unarmed for this trip.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I'll be traveling to Florida, land of 1 million plus CWFLs and about as many gang members and criminals (sorry Floridians, you know it's true), Miami specifically for 5 days starting next Thursday and I have a few questions. I'm going for a 2 day conference then making it a mini vacation with the lady friend for the next three (I assume she will spend Thurs/Friday tanning and shopping). Now, the questions:

1) I have a TX resident CHL (obviously) and a FL nonresident CWFL, which should I bring? Just FL? Just TX? Both?

2) I'm just going to bring one gun, probably the G27, possibly the P2000SK. I actually thinking about getting a pocket holster and using that. Any suggestions? Either gun will be carried with the basic 9rd flat base magazine and I'll also take a spare mag with me.

3) Any 'must visit' LGSs in the Miami area I should hit up? My GF doesn't mind too much and hey, it's payback for the expected Bal Harbor & Lincoln Road time I'm going to be exposed too.

4) This is more general, but can you fly with OC in your checked luggage or would I have to buy it in FL and dump it when I leave? It is actually for my GF since she doesn't have a CHL (yet) and usually carries that with her here.

I think that's all I need to know, I hope I don't get swallowed by a sink hole or have my face eaten off while I'm there...
    Florida has reciprocity with Texas, so I'd say just bring your Texas one.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking with #4? Can you explain that further for us? If you're asking about just throwing your firearm in a holster and throwing that in your checked bag that's a HUGE negative. Any firearm/s must be in a locked hard sided (Read pry resistant) transport case. It must be unloaded and declared at the baggage counter.

DO NOT use TSA locks for your firearm case....use your own locks and make sure the key is with you. If the TSA needs access to look inside they will contact you and ask you to unlock it.

If you're asking about OC while in FL, we don't have that down here UNLESS you're actively fishing or hunting. Those are the only times allowable. (Besides being at a range of course)

FYI...English is a third language in Miami...Spanish being #1 and Haitian is #2. The Miami you see on TV looking all glitzy and glamorous is Miami Beach and South Beach...the barrier islands. The greater Miami metro area is a cess pool. Two streets to the West of US RT 1 is total ghetto so just be careful.

Call your local TSA office and the Airline your going to use for checked bag approved rules. Each airport is a little different in how they deal with you when you declare your firearm but the requirements are all similar. Like they stated earlier it must be a hard sided case that only you have the key too. Your ammo can be in the box also but not in the magazine and not loose. It must be in a factory or aftermarket ammo container. The first time will be nerve racking but after that its really no big deal. Also the gunbuster signs do not carry the force of law so all they can do is ask you to leave.

Thank you for all the good info so far, I appreciate it.

I need to make a huge clarification:

When I said "OC" I mean oleoresin capsicum, as in pepper spray, not open carry...Sorry, ever since I took a class on use of it for defense I've called it that since the instructor and everyone there did. What I was asking is can I take a can(s) of pepper spray via air packed in my luggage or with my firearm? I've flown to AZ with a gun before so I know the TSA drill, it's kind of a pain but not the worst thing either.

Don't worry, I'm not a Chicago area state legislator so I won't just toss my gun in my carry on bag.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    1. Might as well throw both in your wallet, but your FL CWFL is all you need.
    2. No idea on the holster.
    3. Miami is one big gun store. Stop at any street corner and ask to buy one. The selection and availability will be amazing.
    4. Negative on packing OC in your bags.
    I'm glad to hear about #3, I've been looking for a nice Lorcin sans serial number, or maybe a Raven Arms .25 or maybe I'll get fancy and go for a Jennings or a Cobra...

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Thank you for all the good info so far, I appreciate it.

I need to make a huge clarification:

When I said "OC" I mean oleoresin capsicum, as in pepper spray, not open carry...Sorry, ever since I took a class on use of it for defense I've called it that since the instructor and everyone there did. What I was asking is can I take a can(s) of pepper spray via air packed in my luggage or with my firearm? I've flown to AZ with a gun before so I know the TSA drill, it's kind of a pain but not the worst thing either.

Don't worry, I'm not a Chicago area state legislator so I won't just toss my gun in my carry on bag.
    Taken directly from the TSA website:

Self Defense Sprays - One 4 ounce (118ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge.
    Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in Checked Baggage. For more information visit FAA: Home., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly.

Distinguished Member
    You will only need your non-resident card in Florida but it cannot hurt to carry two just in case you forget or lose one. As far as LGS, you will find that in Florida there are a lot of guns stores and just about every pawn shop sells gun. I have 5 pawn shops in close proximity to my house and only one gun store. The pawn shops seem to get the more popular guns easier and sooner than the gun store around here but their prices are usually higher. However they give more for a trade in because they will sell it for me so it evens out if you do trades.

I have a P2000SK and a Mika Pocket holster for it but seldom pocket carry it even though Pocket carry is my main carry method. Plus it is not to good for when you are driving. Some keep their gun in the glove box or other area of their cars when driving but based on an experience I had, I always want it on me. Got into an accident and had to leave the car to inspect damage and my gun was in the glove box. The guy I hit or who hit me, still not sure as it happened so fast and unexpectedly, was an illegal immigrant and got feisty when I asked to see his driver's license and started to call 911. Luckily I was able to push him off and he drove off. From then on I always have a gun on me when I drive. I even bought a very small Micro Desert Eagle to put in my pocket so that I could put my bigger carry gun in my center console of my car. That way if I have to exist the car I am armed. I also learned that you cannot count on being able to retrieve your gun from its hiding place in the car when it is all smashed in and the glove box door will not open. :)

Have fun in Florida and brush up on your Spanish for Miami. I used to live in a suburb of Houston and you would think I learned my lesson about living in hot and humid places. :)
    If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no reason to give one. It is a given that each opinion is believed to be correct. It would be silly to post something you believed to be incorrect. :)

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    IF you fly with your CCW checked,it will need to be completely taken apart, declared that it is in your checked baggage and then cross your fingers that the bag doesnt get held up for more checks and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    IF you fly with your CCW checked,it will need to be completely taken apart, declared that it is in your checked baggage and then cross your fingers that the bag doesnt get held up for more checks and testing.

I've never taken any gun apart for the airlines, just empty...they see that it's unloaded...I put it back into the travel case...end of story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Absolutely incorrect information. The only parts you were correct with were "declared" and "checked baggage".

You DO NOT have to take your firearm apart. I only has to be unloaded and locked (with non TSA locks) in a hard sided pry resistant case. Ammunition must be either in it's original packaging or in an aftermarket ammunition transport box. Ammunition CAN NOT be in the magazines.

The most INCORRECT statement I have ever read on the interweb.
    I bet I fly more than almost anyone on here and there is nothing in this statement that is close to truth except it has to be declared and checked.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    Absolutely incorrect information. The only parts you were correct with were "declared" and "checked baggage".

You DO NOT have to take your firearm apart. I only has to be unloaded and locked (with non TSA locks) in a hard sided pry resistant case. Ammunition must be either in it's original packaging or in an aftermarket ammunition transport box. Ammunition CAN NOT be in the magazines.
    This is correct.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links