Your Opinion - Church Carry

This is a discussion on Your Opinion - Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in OK, and I always carry to church. I know several others who do as well. My daily carry is a 4" XD9 ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion - Church Carry

I live in OK, and I always carry to church. I know several others who do as well. My daily carry is a 4" XD9 in an OWB holster. Church attire makes that difficult, so I carry a 3" XD9 in a bellyband so I can tuck my button-up shirts.

I recommend a similar tactic for you with a G27. Same trigger feel and action, install sights identical to your G23, and you can use your higher capacity G23 mags for a spare. Just beware of huggers!
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

2. Remove Ads

I carry at church also and I don't downsize my carry gun even though it presents difficult "dress to conceal" issues. I think that a self defense action of 15 or 20 yards would be more likely than any up close and personal action. Unless you make a habit of sitting by the back door where the bad guy comes in. A long well aimed shot may be the only course of action if the BG starts shooting all the way across the sanctuary.
    Last edited by 40FIVER; November 12th, 2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

I carry my Keltec 3at as do other church members. We have aprox.10 armed police both plain clothed and uniformed in every service [8ooo members]. It sends a pretty loud signal to a would be bad guy. There are about 150 ushers also. Pastor is an avid hunter himself and talks about it in the sermons. Only church around here that has it's own shooting range and holds hunting seminars. Can you tell I like it?

If you didn't have anything on you for protection, and could have pervented something tragic from happening, would you be able to live with yourself. Think about it, I know that may not be answering your question

Quote Originally Posted by ropinghorns View Post
    Only church around here that has it's own shooting range and holds hunting seminars. Can you tell I like it?
    "Ok, who's the wiseguy that put empty .45 brass in the collection plate?"

if the state and church (not posted) says its ok then go for it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    "Ok, who's the wiseguy that put empty .45 brass in the collection plate?"
    You know what they say, "a .45 on the hip is worth 50 in the plate."
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I haven't read all the replies but I wanted to answer your question:

Yes.

I research chruches like I do car insurance, I just don't jump into one company and stay there even though they don't have everything, or most, that I want.

When I researched here, one of my interview questions is: How do you feel about the 2nd amendment and since I have a CCW, do you mind if I am armed while at church?

Only two pastors said that they are for it (totally, none of this "but no such and such type guns were meant to be owned by "citizens").

One church was just getting it start and it felt too "cultist" for me. I don't know why, just got that feeling.

The other one runs TV services on Sunday (as well as the normal in church ones) and I went there and talked with the pastor in person after I had talked with him on the phone.

He packs also. Well, even though I haven't attended a live service yet (I'm going to, it's a thing with me, not very good around alot of people all at once) we have conversed and met in person.

One of the things that I always ask and won't attend if they won't/don't allow.

Wayne

I bought a Kahr K9 for a "Sunday-go-ta-meetin'" sidearm. It has the steel frame, so it's not as light as the "plastic"-frame versions, but it conceals pretty well.
    I took it to church with me for about a year until it became a misdemeanor to carry at my church.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Folks,
    I appreciate everybody's comments. I will carry at church. I carry every other legal place so why not church. Again, thanks for the advise.
    Steve

VIP Member
    Yes I would and yes I do! In fact, church is why I bought a Thunderwear holster! (We do a lot of hugging!)

Going to a church doesn't make you any more safe than going to Mc Donald's makes you a Big Mac!

Granted, the percentage of BG's is probably lower but all it takes is one to ruin your day!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry in and at church all the time. With a tuckable iwb holster it is no problem, and only a couple of people, whom also carry know that I do it. When you use an iwb tucked it is not a problem no matter what you wear.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have found that you get further with a pistol and a prayer than with a prayer alone , so yes i would carry .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I was doing a bit of internet research earlier in the year on church violence. I apologize if anyone's life was touched and/or affected by any of the following incidents.

•LOS ANGELES The California Supreme Court has upheld death sentences for two half brothers convicted of murder for a 1989 Los Angeles church shooting that left two worshippers dead and a third wounded.

•BLOOMINGTON, Minn. - An Elk River man charged with one count of first-degree murder in the shooting death of the mother of his daughter. A dispute over child support and paternity apparently led him to shoot his ex-wife in a Bloomington church parking lot.

•Michael Stevon Hunter was killed in a Nov. 24, 1997, drive-by shooting on the front lawn of Happy Rock United Holy Church.

•INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- A jury has found a 24-year-old man guilty of voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of a pastor outside his church last year.

•ATLANTA (AP) — A woman opened fire at an Atlanta church before services yesterday morning, killing her mother and the minister before committing suicide.

•September 15, 1999. Larry Gene Ashbrook entered a Fort Worth Baptist Church sanctuary with a 9-mm handgun and proceeded to gun down seven teenagers and adults and injure seven others before he detonated a pipe bomb and killed himself in front of more than 200 worshippers, shooting himself in the head.

•Anthony Bell, 25, shot four people at a Baton Rouge church, abducted his estranged wife and three children from the church, and killed his wife.

•BROOKFIELD, Wis., March 12, 2005. A gunman opened fire at a church service, killing four people and sending several others to hospitals, authorities said. The gunman then apparently shot and killed himself.

•Sash, Texas, August 29, 2005 - A one-armed gunman went on a shooting spree Sunday night. . He walked up to a pastor at the church and pulled a pistol out from under a stub of an arm and shot him from about four or five feet away. Then, he slowly turned and shot another church member.

I carry and attend services at a fairly large church also. I am unable to draw a distinction, in relation to my decision to carry a concealed firearm, between church services and other daily activities.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

VIP Member
    +1 Art... nothing speaks louder or clearer than the facts!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links