Your Opinion - Church Carry

This is a discussion on Your Opinion - Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would carry in Church, except my families Church also has a grade school on the premesis. Even if Church carry isn't specifically prohibited, school ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion - Church Carry

I would carry in Church, except my families Church also has a grade school on the premesis. Even if Church carry isn't specifically prohibited, school carry is, just another issue to consider, although for many other people this may not be a problem.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    And lastly, I asked her the following: "If someone hated and wanted to kill jews, what better place then a temple or synagogue during religous services?" She had no response and that was the last time I had any objection from her about my being armed at Temple.
    Thanks for a gratifying post. I would add that even just some petty anti-semite might decide to follow someone home from the temple and give them trouble along the road.

My mom's side of the family is Jewish; Dad's is Roman Catholic. None on either side is known by me to be into guns, or carrying for protection.

My sister, who had long been Catholic (confirmed in grade school, etc.), and had not been raised Jewish, converted and married a Jewish man. Both are Cornell grads, kinda elitist in a way, metropolitan-types. They are not orthodox, but they are pretty well practicing Jews. I note that they appear to have the same typical "something" against guns, or the idea of arms for family protection, that I note among many NY Jews I've known in my life. (I'm from Long Island originally. Most of our family friends were Jewish, NONE were gun people.)

It surprises me. They talk the talk about protecting Israel and all that, but when it comes to the simplest, most basic form of protecting Jews -- that of making sure YOU and your individual FAMILY survive -- they do next to nothing. An ADT sticker on the front door, maybe. I find it dismaying.

In Virginia, it is a Class 4 misdemeanor (no jail time, $250 fine and probably loss of permit) to carry in a house of worship, when a religious service is taking place, unless there is a justifiable reason.

I used to carry in my synagogue except during religious services. After a crazy man fatally shot up a Jewish Federation in Seattle last summer, I decided that there is a justifiable reason for carrying during religious services; every Jewish institution is vulnerable to attack at any time, and I think it is only going to get worse in the future, as Jihad is surely going to come to America.

I have just asked the Temple President (my wife) to appoint me chair of a committee on Temple Security. My ultimate goal is to get Board of Directors approval for temple members with permits to carry during services. I'll be surrounded by anti's so I'll have to educate and move in baby steps and not just jump right in with that alarming suggestion.

The Rabbi and his wife are zealously anti-gun, but he doesn't have a vote on the Board, and doesn't have as much influence since he recently went to part-time semi-retired status. Most American Jews vote Democrat and are socially very liberal, but I find that a fourth to a third of them have at least one gun in the home for self-defense, so maybe I won't have such an uphill fight afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Carry and say nothing
    Bingo...
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It surprises me. They talk the talk about protecting Israel and all that, but when it comes to the simplest, most basic form of protecting Jews -- that of making sure YOU and your individual FAMILY survive -- they do next to nothing.
    People are hesitant about things they do not understand or have little exposure to. This isn't just the Jewish people, it's everyone. Also, where you live and the cultural norms will dictate your outlook. A shotgun on a rack on the back of a pickup may not get a second glance in a rural area, but in an urban setting people will notice, even if it's perfectly legal in your area to have a firearm in your vehicle.

Chalk it up to "the human factor", it throws us a curve ball every time.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I would carry in Church, except my families Church also has a grade school on the premesis. Even if Church carry isn't specifically prohibited, school carry is, just another issue to consider, although for many other people this may not be a problem.
    That is an interesting comment. My temple also has a preschool on premises, but it is not in session on Friday nights and Saturday mornings when services are held. Does the fact alone that there is a preschool, even if not in session, make carry to services a violation? I live in Florida, where carry at church or temple is not prohibited, but carry in a school is. Also, the preschool is in a separate part of the building, removed from the sanctuary.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron; November 16th, 2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Add information

I don't know about Florida and only am speaking for my interpretation of Ohio law, which is no firearms in any school buildings ever, except by authorized LEO's on duty. Just my impression.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

if u can carry u should
    Kimber S/S tle pro

If off-duty LEOs are packing, it should be fine for you, too.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    huummmm Most churches have Sunday School, mine has quote "pre-school" Monday thru Friday but it is really not a preschool as much as it is a day care center that they named pre-school.

Interesting concept though I wonder what the definition of school is?

I think I will write the Attorney General of Texas (we gave him lots of money for his campaign he should be able to give me an answer).

If he does I Will post it.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Carry In GOD's House

Well, this has been a hotly debated issue on other forums; but I
    will give you my best guess. Many years ago I wouldn't think
    that this would be necessary; but times and circumstances
    certainly have changed. I recall that just recently an estranged
    husband bolted into a worship service in Lousiana; then shot
    and killed his ex-wife, then turned the gun on the reverend if
    memory serves me correctly? I also believe that after the
    confrontation, he escaped only to take his own life later.

With that in mind, YES I think an armed law abiding citizen
    discreetly carrying their favorite CCW piece would be OK
    with other worshipers; cuz the life you save may be theirs.
    Therefore, having been a LEO (retired now~!) I would likely
    carry within the boundary of a church service; unless it was
    strictly prohibited by law.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My weapon is like the American Express commercial- "Don't leave home without it!". I no longer attend church services, but I would not hesitate to carry. My Glock 26 fits well in a Nemesis pocket holster, and doesn't print through light colored pants, much less dark covered ones.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Pappy is a preacher, and he packed most of the time. The only armed robbery I ever sat through was when our church was hit. I carry 24/7 and have leared that when giving hugs (our church is huggy types too) I always drop my arms lower and make them raise theirs up. Oh its a great place to wear a t-shirt holster, as it fits nicely with a full power weapon under your shirt....just an idea.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    See, this is another reason I stay away from churches.
    Church, school... I don't have to care.

And beyond that, what does it matter if "concealed is concealed"?!

VIP Member
    I dont attend church , but my mom sings in the choir at a catholic church sunday. I'm going and i"m going HOT........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links