Your Opinion - Church Carry

This is a discussion on Your Opinion - Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I go to a church with approximately 4000 folks with 3 seperate services every sunday. Their are 2 off-duty LEs in uniform every service, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion - Church Carry

Your Opinion - Church Carry

Ok, I go to a church with approximately 4000 folks with 3 seperate services every sunday. Their are 2 off-duty LEs in uniform every service, One front and one at the back door. The service I go to is practically packed.
    My question is, would you carry? Mind you, I have gone over different scenerios in my head as to safety to fire in a large congregatrion and the likelyhood of both LEs being taken out. I realize that chances are small that anything would happen, but the chance is there. Their is nothing that I have found in Oklahoma Law restricting carry in a church, but still would feel self-conscious about printing, even with the right rig. I hope you folks could give me your thoughts on this. I carry a G23 all the time. The rig I have now is unacceptable, but I will be finalizing my order for an IWB and belt with UBG. Do you think talking to the LEs would be prudent, or do you think I should just carry or not?

2. Remove Ads

If carry in a church is not prohibited in your state, and the church is not posted to ban guns, I suggest that you carry concealed and be discreet about your plan and actions.

Don't mention it to anyone, certainly not the uniformed LEOs. In the event a whacko comes in bent on killing as many as he can, another gun in the hands of an accomplished shooter (you do practice regularly, right?) is an asset to the good guys.

Conceal, carry and keep your tater trap shut...help protect the...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out Clint Smith

Carry and say nothing
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I go ... would you carry?
    Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Even with 2 leos there you should at least carry a smaller close~up personal protection firearm. If you don't have one then buy one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If you are going to church wearing formal/semi-formal attire, and you don't print, by all means go with your daily carry. If however you are like me, and print five ways from Sunday in anything that is not a photographers vest or an extra large sweater, you might want to pick up a smaller back up gun. I picked up a Kel Tec .380 for such situations. It's small and rides in a back pocket holster. Seacamp, NAA, or a Rohrbaugh are all small enough to carry without significant printing. It all goes back to what you carry, what you wear, and how you carry it. As it goes for deploying in a crisis situation, well you'll have to use your judgement on that one. A situation may arise in the parking lot, and away from the church patrons. It may be up close and personal. You may even have to come to the aid of an officer trying to wrestle back his own gun from a criminal. It's all in the situation, and your judgement will have to dictate when you can use it. I mean David had a slingshot. Hell, Samson was able to whoop some ass with a jawbone (no pun intended). You carry your G23.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    If carry in a church is not prohibited in your state, and the church is not posted to ban guns, I suggest that you carry concealed and be discreet about your plan and actions.

Don't mention it to anyone, certainly not the uniformed LEOs. In the event a whacko comes in bent on killing as many as he can, another gun in the hands of an accomplished shooter (you do practice regularly, right?) is an asset to the good guys.

Conceal, carry and keep your tater trap shut...help protect the...
    +1
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Lead Moderator
    A pocket gun does sound like the way to go.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Get one of these for your pocket...

If you are wearing dark colored, pleated pants to church, you can conceal one of these in a pocket holster and nobody will know:

If you can legally carry it. Then carry it. I see no reason to tell the LEOs. If you print, and they question you about it, then just show them your permit and leave it at that.

I carry everywhere, even in church, because the BGs have no respect for law or religion.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

NY27

Said it the best! if you can carry then carry!
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    As a pastor I would encourage you to carry. However some will not understand so as has been stated concealed is concealed.

The only instances here in New Hampshire I can't legally carry is on any Federal Property and per New Hampshire Law, in any local, county or state courthouse.
    Otherwise this one is carrying. At Church or even dinner at the pastor's house. At the Lodge. At a funeral. At my Veterinarians. At my local police station. At a reception above the firehouse. At my buddys house. At the mother-in-laws. At somebodys wedding. At my parents house. At the local diner. At the gun shop. At Walmart and Home Depot. At Burger King, Wendys and McDonalds. At the hospital. At the gym. The corner store. Walking my dog. When answering my front door. At the Veterans Day parade.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

And as we all know trouble can happen on the way to and on the way home from church, in it's parking lot, or on it's door step. It can happen anywhere. Your responses will be limitited due to the large number of people in a small area, but given the right fields of fire etc....
    Keep it low key, keep it hidden. If your Glock is too big for you to carry there in comfort, get a Kel Tec P3AT 2nd gen. 6+1, 11 5/8 oz. loaded. They seem to disappear in your pocket. Look here:(http://www.ktog.org/)
    And with I believe you said about 4000 in your church, you will most likely have more company (carrying) than just those two cops..

Be safe.
    Last edited by CraigJS; November 12th, 2006 at 09:57 AM.

always carry if allowed by law....
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links