Edited: Moving to FL and carrying on my AL permit until my FL permit arrives

This is a discussion on Edited: Moving to FL and carrying on my AL permit until my FL permit arrives within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I just moved from Alabama to Florida. My CCW is still valid and here in Florida I have to take the class and ...

Hi guys,

I just moved from Alabama to Florida. My CCW is still valid and here in Florida I have to take the class and send my paperwork off to Tally to get my permit. I would like to change my DL and car registration but I don't know if I can still legally carry until I get my Florida permit. I asked the local Sherriff but nobody seems to be able to give me a definitive answer. I don't want to be without my gun though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
    Last edited by AxPcola; April 23rd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

I believe it's the same with any state you move to. Once you get a new DL for your new state your previous CCW/CCL is no longer valid.

My suggestion would be to take the course and get that out of the way first. Then do all of the leg work on your own with regards to the paperwork and finger prints.

Once you have all of that in place...head to the DMV and get your new license and registration.

After that...hand carry your CCW package to your local Dept. Agriculture and Licensing and drop it off to them with your check. They'll do a quick check to make sure you have everything then they will send it off to Tallahassee.

You don't need to set up an appointment to go in and have it all done.

It took me all of about 2 hours to do my paperwork, passport sized photo and finger prints in Tampa. Dropped it all off and roughly 8 weeks later had my CCW in my mailbox.

The answers to find out are, basically:

• Does your new state support open carry (OC)? If so, you can do that until you get your new CHL.

• Does your new state recognize any other state's non-resident license you might have (ie, Utah non-res), despite the fact you've moved? If so, you can carry concealed under that license until your new one comes through.

• Does your new (or old) state consider your prior state's CHL null and void the moment you've arrived (or left), irrespective of whether you've gotten the new DL yet, or does it have a "grace" period (ie, 3mos, 6mos, whatever) during which your old CHL is still recognized pending arrival of your new CHL? If there's a grace period, then hop to it on getting your DL and application in for the new CHL, before the time runs out.

If you can't lawfully carry under one or more of those conditions, you're SOL until you get approved for a new CHL in your new state of residence. Applies to any of the states, basically. Uncertain what Florida's specifics are. But you might want to ask those particulars, or root around the statutes themselves until you find the answer. Shouldn't be too hard to find out.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 23rd, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't know if you're a veteran or not, but when I applied for my first Florida CWFL, (2004 or 2005) I didn't have to take a class. The state accepted a copy of my DD-214 as proof of weapons training. I also sent some additional proof, but wasn't required to. Not sure if they still accept it as proof or not, but if you're a vet., might want to check & save some $.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflash View Post
    Don't know if you're a veteran or not, but when I applied for my first Florida CWFL, (2004 or 2005) I didn't have to take a class. The state accepted a copy of my DD-214 as proof of weapons training. I also sent some additional proof, but wasn't required to. Not sure if they still accept it as proof or not, but if you're a vet., might want to check & save some $.

a DD-214 is still valid proof.

One nice thing about an AZ permit - there is no address on it. However, it wouldn't help you as FL doesn't honor a non resident AZ permit.

Thanks guys,

No FL does not support open carry - unfortunately. For a "shall issue" state they are a lot more restrictive then the "may issue" state Alabama. No ex- military either unless you count my stint in the Bundeswehr. I don't know if they recognize non resident out of state permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    One nice thing about an AZ permit - there is no address on it. However, it wouldn't help you as FL doesn't honor a non resident AZ permit.
    That's a feature that I've always thought made complete sense, with carried ID's such as DL and CHL. Why in the world the statutes require divulging your residence address on such stuff is beyond me. Capture the data, fine, and have it on file, but don't force us to carry the means of back-tracking to our homes. All you need to do is lose your wallet, for example, and the BG's know two things: (a) where you and your family live; and (b) that you're very likely, not there. If the BG's have got you, they most certainly know you're not at home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you have an AL permit, it will remain in effect for 90 days after you "establish residency" in FL (get a FL DL, registar vehicle, etc.) That give syou time to get your FL CWFL. I'll post the reference when I can find it.

Found it. See Section 3:

Important Legislation - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OldVet,

You just made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by AxPcola View Post
    I don't know if I can still legally carry until I get my Florida permit.
    Alabama does NOT issue non-resident concealed carry licenses. Therefore, once you are no longer a resident of Alabama, your Alabama concealed carry license is likely no longer valid (as far as Alabama, the issuing state, is concerned).

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you have an AL permit, it will remain in effect for 90 days after you "establish residency" in FL (get a FL DL, registar vehicle, etc.) That give syou time to fet your FL CWFL. I'll post the reference when I can find it.

Found it. See Section 3:

Important Legislation - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    Be careful on this point. This exception may not apply to the OP. The link provided states:

"This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm license holders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses."

The OP holds an Alabama RESIDENT license. The moment he establishes Florida residency, his Alabama license is not valid, nor does it convert to a non-resident license (since Alabama does not issue non-resident licenses).

The interpretation of resident vs non-resident, and how that applies to the OP, might get dicey. I'd hate to see the OP get jammed up over how a particular section applies to out-of-state resident vs non-resident licenses.

Links