Random AZ CCW Class notes

This is a discussion on Random AZ CCW Class notes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my lady and I took our class Sunday at SGC. Class was booked at 80 people. Anything from the 21 year old rocker in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Random AZ CCW Class notes

So my lady and I took our class Sunday at SGC. Class was booked at 80 people. Anything from the 21 year old rocker in the faded ACDC t shirt, a handicapped guy in a wheelchair, the clean cut law school student, to the random 75 year old lady. Just goes to show the diversity and how you will never know who around you carries.

With who knows how many classes held each week that is a ton of people licensed out there in AZ. Matter of fact they quoted that over 70% of all vehicle on the road around you have a firearm in the vehicle at any given time.

Class was 8am-530pm and started with shooting qual. 5 at 5 yds and 5 at 10 yds with 70% pass qualifier. I think this could have been a bit more thought out. We had three first time shooters that had no issues and it didn't do much for training or safe handling purposes.

When asked who never plans to carry we had three people that said they just wanted the education. 25% said they would carry all or most of the time and go figure, almost 75% said only when they felt a weapon was needed. Because the all have magic balls right?

They also placed a lot of emphasis on "if it's posted and not due to liquor then carry and deal with the slim chance of a trespassing citation". I see the instructor's viewpoint as CCW is basically his life but not sure on the legal issues it might cause them.

Anyways, now we are on our 80 day or so turn time that we got quoted...

So the class started with shooting and subsequently the instructor told everyone it's ok to commit trespass while carrying a firearm?

Seems legit...
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I'd be surprised if it takes 80 days. Meanwhile, you're good to go almost anywhere in AZ without the CCW ticket.

Good to see the class was well-attended, even though we have Constitutional carry here.
    Kimnuts13 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If Arizona is now 'constitutional carry', meaning you don't need a permit to carry concealed, what is the benefit of obtaining a permit? In checking handgunlaw.us, I can't seem to find any benefit from having an Arizona permit, unless you want to be able to carry in states that have reciprocity with Arizona.

It does seem strange to have people start off with the shooting qualification, especially those with little or no shooting experience. And if the instructor told you to ignore the law, I think he might find himself in a mess of trouble, sooner rather than later.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    If Arizona is now 'constitutional carry', meaning you don't need a permit to carry concealed, what is the benefit of obtaining a permit? In checking handgunlaw.us, I can't seem to find any benefit from having an Arizona permit, unless you want to be able to carry in states that have reciprocity with Arizona.
    A couple of reasons. In no particular order, with a CCW you can carry in unposted places where alcohol is sold for on-premises consumption, as long as you don't drink. So that relieves you of leaving the gun in the car when you go out to dinner. Reciprocity with a whole bunch of states is another. But perhaps the best reason is that once you have your CCW, it makes buying a gun a snap. No phone calls in to NICS, the FFL just notes your AZ CCW creds and you do the 4473.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The AZ CCW classes are really not mandated or have any particular restrictions anymore as (I believe since the constitutional carry was passed) AZDPS no longer sets the standards. There are sites that will do anywhere from a 25min online course to 3 - 7hr long classes spanning 3 days. There are some that require the shooting portion some that dont and so on.

From DPS Webpage:
    Due to changes made to A.R.S. 13-3112 during the 2010 and 2011 legislative sessions, effective July 20, 2011, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit will no longer approve or renew concealed weapons training programs, training organizations, or firearms-safety instructors.

Amendments to A.R.S. 13-3112 in 2010 added a number of new ways in which an applicant could qualify for a concealed weapons permit through training or experience. These new additions removed the statutory minimum requirements which the Unit used to evaluate and approve training programs. Since there are no statutorily defined minimum requirements, the ability of DPS to evaluate, approve and support training programs has been greatly diminished. For this reason, after July 20, 2011, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit will no longer update, support or sanction the use of the proprietary firearms-safety training course previously used to train permit holders. Furthermore, DPS will no longer review or approve any lesson plans and will no longer publish or update the “Legal Issues Relating to the Use of Deadly Force” guideline.

Additionally, since changes to A.R.S. 13-3112 made in the 2011 legislative session removed the authority for DPS to approve or authorize instructors and organizations, DPS will discontinue this practice. However, for those that currently hold an approval or authorization, current rules will still govern those approvals or authorizations until expiration pursuant to A.A.C. R13-9-309, which provides that a firearms-safety instructor approval is valid for 5 years from the date of issuance or renewal and the authorization of an instructor who holds a valid concealed weapon permit will expire when his current permit expires.

Going forward, liability for use of previously approved training programs rests solely on the instructor and or organization.
    Just keep an eye out where you can and cannot carry under the constitutional carry as there are still parts of the law that make certain carry situations illegal without a permit.

Well a permit gives you some legal advantage IMHO if you ever had an issue due to you being able to say you went above and beyond what was required.

Also, it lets me carry at lunch seeing how most smaller establishments downtown now seem to serve beer. Even some of the small taco / deli shops.

Then there is the state parks perk such as when hiking and reciprocity with other states.

Big thing is bypassing the NICS check!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A couple of reasons. In no particular order, with a CCW you can carry in unposted places where alcohol is sold for on-premises consumption, as long as you don't drink. So that relieves you of leaving the gun in the car when you go out to dinner. Reciprocity with a whole bunch of states is another. But perhaps the best reason is that once you have your CCW, it makes buying a gun a snap. No phone calls in to NICS, the FFL just notes your AZ CCW creds and you do the 4473.
    I thought there was also restrictions on the 1000ft gun free zones ( aka school zones) that made having the CCW necessary aside from the liquor aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ40 View Post
    The AZ CCW classes are really not mandated or have any particular restrictions anymore as (I believe since the constitutional carry was passed) AZDPS no longer sets the standards. There are sites that will do anywhere from a 25min online course to 3 - 7hr long classes spanning 3 days. There are some that require the shooting portion some that dont and so on.

Just keep an eye out where you can and cannot carry under the constitutional carry as there are still parts of the law that make certain carry situations illegal without a permit.
    Yea that's why we lost Nevada...There should be a higher quality class / test and in return it should provide more perks on where to carry. Even if it was a two day class with one day nothing but safety and range time.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ40 View Post
    I thought there was also restrictions on the 1000ft gun free zones ( aka school zones) that made having the CCW necessary aside from the liquor aspect.
    Correct. You also eliminate the 1000ft rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusRex View Post
    Correct. You also eliminate the 1000ft rule.
    Which, in Arizona, (or at least in the Phoenix metroplex), means you pretty much can't carry legally unless you have a CCW.

Mailed my ccw app. to AZ at the end of March. Almost 30 days down, almost 50 to go? Half way there, baby...well, almost.

Sponsored Links