Replacing The Lock On A COM Box

This is a discussion on Replacing The Lock On A COM Box within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Center Of Mass (COM) lock box for my vehicles because of the price of my guns and me being the paranoid person ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Replacing The Lock On A COM Box

I bought a Center Of Mass (COM) lock box for my vehicles because of the price of my guns and me being the paranoid person I am, I made a bracket to cover the open part of the lock bracket and had it tack welded into place (don't want anyone to shove a wire into the bar and push the latch open). Unfortunately I did this before I tried the cable and it won't fit over the bracket. No big deal, I'll just use plan B and bolt it into the center console of my truck and buy another box for the wife's vehicle. I also drilled two 5/16" holes and enlarge the other two factory holes in the bottom of the box.

I have a set of lock picks that I inherited from my dad and just for giggles I tried to see how long it would take to pick the factory lock. It took me 2 1/2 minutes and I'm not a locksmith. Therefore I'm definitely going to replace the lock. After doing some research, I decided that I'm going with an Abloy lock. I chose Abloy because they are virtually drill and pick proof. I bought a Abloy clone and had to make an insert to fit the double D shank to the square of the clasp bar from the original lock. Today as I was putting the setup together, I stripped the thread on the lock shaft. I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap Chinese lock. It's going back for a refund. I also had a problem of the clasp bar not quite lining up with it's corresponding slot. It was about a 64th of an inch too long so the lid was ajar a tad (that should be an easy fix). Abloy locks are about $50.00, so I'm going to have an expensive lock box but it will be worth the peace of mind knowing my gun will still be in my truck in case it's broken into.

Now my question is: Have any of you made this conversion and what, if any, problems did you have and what did you do to fix these problems?

Don't take this the wrong way, but its probably not worth your time to do that.

A lockbox is to prevent a smash and grab. But if someone has specialty tools they will get in it.

I had a lockbox, I think it was by gun vault, that the combo lock stopped working in. I was able to bust it in under a minute with simple hand tools. Its not like its thick gauge steel or anything.
    Nmuskier, SIGguy229 and archer51 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Buckeye.45, You may be right, but it's for my own peace of mind.... These two websites helped me make this decision.

Unsafe Gun Safes Can Be Opened By A Three-Year Old - Forbes

Lock Picking 101 ? View topic - "Double D" hole cam lock virutally pickproof??

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but its probably not worth your time to do that.

A lockbox is to prevent a smash and grab. But if someone has specialty tools they will get in it.

I had a lockbox, I think it was by gun vault, that the combo lock stopped working in. I was able to bust it in under a minute with simple hand tools. Its not like its thick gauge steel or anything.
    There are other ways to get into the COM clamshell style boxes easily as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I'm with buckeye. I have a gunvault nano. It is for temporary and accessible storage. I do not intend to prevent a determined or prepared thief. It is so I can tell the police, lawyers, and insurance company I gave it an honest try. What is more likely: a thief breaks into my car and picks the lock box, or they just steal my car?

ALL safes are defeatable. It is just a matter of how much you are willing to invest to protect what's in it. If you want to get serious, it's going to cost you over a grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    It is so I can tell the police, lawyers, and insurance company I gave it an honest try.
    I never looked at it that way. Besides if a thief does steal my gun, then I get to have the fun of purchasing another. Thanks

Locks keep the honest, honest...Or make smash-and-grab theives look elsewhere. Locks also slow down a determined thief. Unless you are locking up your gun in an up armored vehicle, I'd just get a new COM box
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Doesn't matter how secure you try to make it. If a thief wants it, he'll get it. He'll either steal your console or your whole car.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    There are other ways to get into the COM clamshell style boxes easily as well.
    I know there's not a lot of options for something small, but I don't think adding that lock will not make this box more secure. They are only 21ga steel so they are easily bent when pried, even if the latch doesn't break.
    Attached Images

I talked with person I bought that Abloy clone from and they told me they would either just send me another lock without sending the one I screwed up back to them or send the old one back and they would give me a refund. After reading your responses I said send me another. I figured I already paid for it so why not use it and I'll put it on. That way I can say to the lawyers and prosecutors that I tried to do a bit more.

Sponsored Links