Question about CCW and getting pulled over?

This is a discussion on Question about CCW and getting pulled over? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some states require the individual to present his permit to LEO when he or she is pulled over. What about if you are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Question about CCW and getting pulled over?

I know some states require the individual to present his permit to LEO when he or she is pulled over. What about if you are the passenger? I am sure this varies state to state and placing myself in the LEO's shoes I would like to know what I am dealing with. So Should you or shouldn't you....depending on state laws.

PS....I know in my state of Montana there are NO restrictions of carrying in a vehicle.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Until the cop addresses you, specifically, in an official capacity, I would think you just stay quiet.

Just be sure you're keeping your hands out in a visible, non-threatening position all the time the driver is interacting with the cop.

IANAL and did not stay recently at a Holiday Inn Express
    bigsky109 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

sdprof......Good answer....sounds right to me but I am not a pro and I do not stay at Holiday Inn Express either.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

When an officer approaches a vehicle he is approaching all occupants of a vehicle. The officer could be stopping the vehicle for a traffic violation or a DUI check but they also may have seen a passenger that fits the description of someone they are looking for or they may be looking for a group of people in a similar vehicle.

A simple test to verify would be for a passenger to get out during a stop and try to walk away without being told they could leave.
    ItalianSteel likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Interesting answer from a fellow resident. I was actually wondering this as well as NC requires CCers to notify the officers when 'approached.' I too was unsure how that worked out when you were a bystander/passenger in a vehicle.

If the officer never says a word to you, how do you bring it up? I don't want to be the one yelling across the car, "'ey officer! Just wanted to let you know I'm carrying concealed!" Sounds like a TMI moment, especially since he hasn't said a word to you.
    SUPERCHEFNICK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Interesting answer from a fellow resident. I was actually wondering this as well as NC requires CCers to notify the officers when 'approached.' I too was unsure how that worked out when you were a bystander/passenger in a vehicle.

If the officer never says a word to you, how do you bring it up? I don't want to be the one yelling across the car, "'ey officer! Just wanted to let you know I'm carrying concealed!" Sounds like a TMI moment, especially since he hasn't said a word to you.
    You can either tell the driver they need to immediately inform the officer that a passenger has a carry permit and is currently carrying or you can politely inform the officer as he starts the interaction with the driver of that info. I'd also recommend that you place your hands on the dash or if you're in the back seat, the headrest in front of you until your told to do other wise.

I agree it may be a bit uncomfortable as a passenger but consider how much more uncomfortable it will be to be when you don't notify in a timely manor as required and the officer escalates the interaction with you being the full focus of his interest.

As for NC I have verified with an associate attorney with the AGs office that all passengers are considered being approached when a vehicle is stopped so in order to stay within NC law you must notify even as a passenger.
    ItalianSteel likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Have you checked out Handgunlaw.us ?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    The law is clear in Ohio. Anyone carrying licensed in the vehicle is required to promptly inform.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sideline question... Are you informing the officer that you have a permit, or are you informing them that you're carrying?...

Let's say you have your permit, you're in a state that requires notifying the officer, you're pulled over, but you happen to not be carrying nor do you have a weapon inside the vehicle at that time. (For instance you're on your way somewhere that you're not allowed to carry so you have your weapon in a lockbox in the trunk already.)
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    It's amazing to me how much you can impress a cop with quiet, respectful, cooperative and polite information.

Two quick tales: I have several deputy friends, and no duty to inform -- State of Florida makes no provision to inform. But there have been an onerous amount of cop shootings in Florida in the past two years. So all of my buddies say simply, they really appreciate it when someone tells them they have a weapon because it makes a world of difference to their perceived threat level. They relax, they treat you differently, you get treated more nicely, everyone gets along fine.

Second: I ran a red light one day, and a cop was sitting right there in the lane next to me, stopped behind another car for the light. The light was at an intersection crossing a five lane road, I was on the five lane, and the intersection was being crossed by kids changing classes at the high school located right at this intersection -- some kids had to go back and forth across this five lane road to change classes and this happened right at class change time. The cop immediately followed me, and I told -- almost word for word, just like this: "I was approaching the intersection, I was watching for kids and took my eye off the light for a second watching for kids, and when I looked back up realized I was too late to stop and I just blew the light." In one simple sentence said I did it, I was wrong, and here's what happened. This was after I handed him license, registration, insurance card and told him I was armed.

The deputy let me off without even a warning ticket.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Kansas has no duty to inform but should inform if asked.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Sideline question... Are you informing the officer that you have a permit, or are you informing them that you're carrying?...

Let's say you have your permit, you're in a state that requires notifying the officer, you're pulled over, but you happen to not be carrying nor do you have a weapon inside the vehicle at that time. (For instance you're on your way somewhere that you're not allowed to carry so you have your weapon in a lockbox in the trunk already.)
    I'm not aware of any state that requires you to notify the possession of a permit if your not actually armed. That would make as much sense as notifying you have a drivers license, while your walking down the street.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yep... grey area...

Concealed Handguns Reciprocity

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:

Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.

Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.

Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.

Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

=====
    Since the two items about informing of having a permit and informing about being in possession are two separate line items and don't say "and" in between... Technically, not being an attorney, sounds to me like you have to inform that you have a permit.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member
    In Wisconsin there is no duty to inform. If I was a passenger in a car that was stopped, I would say nothing unless the officer addressed me. Then I would tell them I had a ccp and I was armed. I would ask for instructions and do what was requested.

Administrator
    In PA we are not required to notify. So as a passenger during a typical traffic stop I would just sit quietly and shut up.

BUT, as a passenger if I am armed (and I always am) and I am asked to exit the vehicle for any reason during a stop absolutely I will inform the officer that I am carrying.

During that particular citizen/LEO interaction/encounter I want to avoid any and all possible unhappy surprises both for the officer and myself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links