HELP, Daughter is walking!

This is a discussion on HELP, Daughter is walking! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a question for all you moms and dads out there. The days of my loaded bedside Glock seem to have come to an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: HELP, Daughter is walking!

HELP, Daughter is walking!

This is a question for all you moms and dads out there. The days of my loaded bedside Glock seem to have come to an end. I currently own two handguns, g26 g17. I only carry one at a time while the other stays home in my small apartment with my wife and daughter. NOTE: Wife does know how to use and defend with both. I want you moms and dads to tell me everything you changed around the house(involving guns) when your kid started to walk and even at other stages in their life. Obviously the safety of my daughter my first priority. Is a quick access safe a good idea? List off anything you think I could be forgetting or anything you changed when your kids started to move around and grab everything that is not theirs.

2. Remove Ads

Why not have your wife carry it on her person out of reach where no matter what room she is in- in the even of a home invasion/rape attempt etc. she is prepared AND no risk of your daughter get ahold of the weapon?
    Taurahe and Ghost1958 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The safe is always a good idea. You may also want to consider unloading it and putting the magazine in a different place from the Glock. You may also want to consider a trigger lock. Ultimately the decision is yours and anything you can do to make the home safer is a plus.

You can secure your stay at home gun in a small, biometric, handgun safe. That is what I do. Takes less than 5 seconds to get you gun from them. Of course my daughters are 17 and 14 now.
    BigJon10125 and Poseidon like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    The quick access safes have worked well for me. I have them bolted down and hidden all over the house.

... and don't think that you can let your guard down when your little girl is old enough and trained to be responsible around guns. She'll still have knuckle-headed friends that come over.

With toddlers - on my person or secured. Nightstand is no longer an option IMHO because little kids like to walk around at night and parents tend to be so tired they don't wake up too quickly. The Safe Action trigger doesn't care whose finger or thumb presses it, and it would suck beyond comprehension to wake to a gunshot when the best end result would be a bullet lodged in an inanimate object.

With older kids, trained in use and/or avoidance - it depends.
    phreddy, ccw9mm, RickyD and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    On your person (in a quality holster) or secured in a safe/lock box.

In the news this past weekend, a man was pocket carrying with no holster. His toddler somehow discharged the pistol while it was still in the father's pocket. Toddler was shot in the chest. (at least thet is what is being reported)

I would also keep it locked up at night. No more nightstand gun for a while. It is not uncommon for parents to be sleep deprived and forget to stow it in the morning.
    ccw9mm likes this.

VIP Member
    A quick access safe for your HD firearm is, IMO, the best way to go. It keeps things safe from inquisitive, little hands and still allows the adults to have ready access to your HD weapon. I keep one next to the bed and that's where my carry pistol goes whenever it's not on my person.

Not that it's necessarily gun related, but I love kids so I feel compelled to mention it, but child safety locks on cabinets and egress doors are also a must, along with those little electrical outlet plugs.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    If you get a gun safe, steer clear of the electronic biometrics. Batteries can fail.
    Several companies make a mechanical push button combination; better way to go.
    Just my 2 cents
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Play the odds, a toddler is MANY times more likely to find your gun than you are to need it in self defense!

Lock it up or as someone posted some other place.. check out Tactical Walls. They have some interesting stuff.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post

Not that it's necessarily gun related, but I love kids so I feel compelled to mention it, but child safety locks on cabinets and egress doors are also a must, along with those little electrical outlet plugs.
    Yup. I thought that we had our house idiot-proofed; every cabinet & drawer had safety locks, all outlets were plugged, and my little rug-rat still managed to super-glue himself into a tight little ball (btw, there's an easy remedy to this; K Y Jelly). Super glue dries brittle, so as you massage the K Y jelly onto the glued spot, the soft flesh allows the glue to break up, while the K Y Jelly is liquid enough to slide under the little pieces of broken up glue. It has the appearance of dissolving the glue.

Another vote for biometric safe works well. Your also going to need one in your cars. I would also recomend getting proficient with guns with external safeties. Nothing you can pick up an pull the trigger till they get older. Have to keep ammo locked up they tend to swallow bullets.

Your wife needs to take full responsibility for your daughter's safety and her own safety when you are not home. You and your wife should discuss how she is going to handle this new responsibility as well as all the necessary changes the two of you will be making for the benefit of your daughter's safety.

If your firearms are not on your person or on your wife's person, they should be locked in a safe.
    Fitch likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

...stand facing your closet door...put your hand on the inside wall over the door frame...there is either a header or blocking there to support the door frame...drive a 20 penny common nail into that header at about a 20 degree angle, leaving about 2 1/2 inches sticking out...cut the head off with nippers or a cutting plier, then cover the sharp end with black electrician's tape...and hang your weapon on that nail...

...noone will see it unless they walk into the closet and look straight up...children will not be able to reach it until they are of an age that you can teach them about firearms safety...

...to access your weapon...reach up with your gun hand and push the weapon up off the nail (with the Glock "safety trigger" you need to be careful to push out from the wall and not pull the trigger)...extra mags can be in a Ziplock hanging on another nail...turn your weapon so that when you put your hand into the closet with palm towards you, you have a proper grip...

...fast...safe...cheap...

...long guns can be hung the same way...totally out of sight and toddlers' reach...

I have three kids and I keep my gun on me in person at all times so does the wife if the need for the gun isn't there it is locked up in the safe I have preached it so much to my wife and myself that we always check each other when around the house or kids and ask do you have your gun secure we have just trained ourselves to always ask that question when we wake up when we come home and throughout the day.
    I only have two handguns one for her and myself I carry a shield and she the bodyguard they both similar in operation and both have safety's when we go to work the guns go with us when home we carry or they in the safe.
    I know I shouldn't say this its bad but I know where my gun is at all times I can't say that for the kids the energy they have they get around the house so much it hard to keep track of them sometimes.

This is why I developed my attitude about always having my gun or locked in the bigger safe that will not fail.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebe...hree-year-old/
    OnePlink likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links