A first- saw some other CCWer

This is a discussion on A first- saw some other CCWer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in line at a Redbox at our local Wal-Mart the other day and the fellow in front of me was carrying. He accidentally ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 3 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By bootslxa

Thread: A first- saw some other CCWer

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

A first- saw some other CCWer

I was in line at a Redbox at our local Wal-Mart the other day and the fellow in front of me was carrying. He accidentally flashed everyone reaching for his wallet. Not sure what it was, just that it was in probably a brown leather Galco holster and was one of the major polymer pistols with a stock white dot front sight.

It occurred to me that's the first time I've seen that happen in six years of carrying.
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It makes ME think that this guy needs to consider how he reaches for his wallet/keys/change. Personally, I go for my wallet and keys far more frequently than my gun on a day to day basis. Think about what you use most everyday and how you access those items. How can I get to my *whatever* without exposing my gun. It isn't difficult to work out a method for each pocket that doesn't look odd or suspicious.

That being said, we all make mistakes. Maybe this was his.

As far as seing CC folks, if they are doing it right, how would you know?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

...now I gotta ask...how did you see the "stock white dot front sight"????
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I was in line at a Redbox at our local Wal-Mart the other day and the fellow in front of me was carrying. He accidentally flashed everyone reaching for his wallet. Not sure what it was, just that it was in probably a brown leather Galco holster and was one of the major polymer pistols with a stock white dot front sight.

It occurred to me that's the first time I've seen that happen in six years of carrying.
    jcm likes this.

...coulda been a cop, renting a training film..Lethal Weapon or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    It makes ME think that this guy needs to consider how he reaches for his wallet/keys/change. Personally, I go for my wallet and keys far more frequently than my gun on a day to day basis. Think about what you use most everyday and how you access those items. How can I get to my *whatever* without exposing my gun. It isn't difficult to work out a method for each pocket that doesn't look odd or suspicious.

That being said, we all make mistakes. Maybe this was his.

As far as seing CC folks, if they are doing it right, how would you know?
    RoadRunner71, Poseidon and jem102 like this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    There are plenty of plain clothes officers walking around having their sidearms with them. I had lunch with a local PD Lt last week. He was wearing a OWB holster with the dept issued Glock. No jacket, no untucked shirt. I suppose one viewing him would have thought he was a civilian OCing. I, OTOH, was wearing a sport coat and a shoulder holster. No matter what I reached for, my firearm was not visible to anyone.

The fact is that what anyone carries or how they carry is their business and I have over 40 yrs of carrying.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I switched my wallet to the left side. It still feels a little weird since it's been on the right for 30 years, but now there's only one reason to reach back on the right side.
    Life is about service.

...we don't have the option of OC here...but it's common to see a local cop without a jacket...they just hang their shield beside the holster and most folks are able to figure that out...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    There are plenty of plain clothes officers walking around having their sidearms with them. I had lunch with a local PD Lt last week. He was wearing a OWB holster with the dept issued Glock. No jacket, no untucked shirt. I suppose one viewing him would have thought he was a civilian OCing. I, OTOH, was wearing a sport coat and a shoulder holster. No matter what I reached for, my firearm was not visible to anyone.

The fact is that what anyone carries or how they carry is their business and I have over 40 yrs of carrying.

I carry my wallet on the left side as well. I would think he would be a bit more conscious about that.
    84160 likes this.

I have two 1911 mags in holders on the left side, so if those show not sure that is much different to anyone who knows what they are

I carry my wallet on my right front pocket for a variety of reasons about which we could get in all kinds of navel-gazing discussions. I carry IWB at 3:27 during Daylight Savings Time, and flashing my pistol isn't a concern. Even if it did happen, so what? It would be different if I were in a place where OC weren't allowed, but why would I live in a place like that?

My 2x mags on the left side are OWB, so they'd be more likely to show if I were to sweep my cover garment that side (as when I reach for my phone).

And regarding the front sight - most of the open muzzle holsters so popular these days make that pretty obvious.

I guess i dont understand why people would be "bothered" that he let it show (unless its unlawful where he is). Maybe he (like me) simply didnt care if some random person saw he was carrying at a redbox where he was conducting business for probably 30 seconds. I only carry concealed to avoid constant bother but I'm sure not worried about grabbing my wallet to pay for some mt. dew at Target. Does that make me lazy? No. Are there times that I am more aware of presentation? Sure. Redbox wont be one of them unless I have surveyed the area and seen a nimrod or two.

Links