How long after you received your permit did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on How long after you received your permit did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did you wear you gun and holster around the house first to get used to the feeling? Had you had formal defensive handgun training? Or ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How long after you received your permit did you start carrying?

How long after you received your permit did you start carrying?

Did you wear you gun and holster around the house first to get used to the feeling? Had you had formal defensive handgun training? Or did you get your permit and just start carrying right off the bat?

I just got my CHP this week. I have an IWB holster on order and will be ordering a gun belt this week. Before this year I did not own a handgun.I had shot them many times and was very comfortable with using one, but never had one for myself. I now own a Gen 3 Glock 23 and plan to use this as my carry weapon, and am comfortable with using it. I haven't had any formal defensive handgun training and am curious how many people took a class, or just started carrying as soon as they got their permit.

2. Remove Ads

I was in Walmart being OCD about printing and thinking everyone was looking at my gun the very next day!

I had to get training for my permit but had never carried a gun, CC or OC, before I got the permit.
    British by birth. American by choice.

VIP Member
    Got mine on a weekday and started carrying that weekend (can't carry where I work).

I've not had any defensive training (got in a fistfight in 8th grade and won, if that counts for anything).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I spent about 2yrs gaining handgun proficiency with my intended carry gun, taking training, and learning about the statutes related to firearms, carrying and use-of-force before applying. I wanted to ensure that before I even got to start carrying that I would be highly likely to avoid the proverbial 3yr old child across the street, if forced to fire to defend my life, and that I new the statutes and the pros/cons "cold." I'd started from scratch, with handgun knowledge and proficiency, and literally from scratch regarding the statutes. Once I received my CHL, I immediately began carrying.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Right from the get go for me...weird at first, but after about a week it was all good/normal feeling. As I waited for my permit (about 4-5 weeks) I made sure to keep an eye out "no guns allowed" signs. I wanted to get my eye trained for that. Also had a some extensive hand gun training before getting my CCW helped a ton.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

My CHL buddy checked the mailbox with me and let me carry his gun while we walked back inside.

Thanks for the responses y'all, I am very excited about my CHP.

I started carrying immediately.

I will say, however, that the decision to seek a CPL was a VERY long time in the making and I took a training class, read books, rented and tried out many different guns, and lurked on DC for months before I applied.

I am a careful sort that has to have everything settled in my mind before I will try something new. By the time I got to that point, carrying the first time felt as natural as if I had been doing it my whole life. I've been carrying almost everywhere I'm legally able since then. I am still actively seeking opportunities to train as I can afford them, and still hanging out here.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

VIP Member
    I started carrying immediately, but eventually went through quite a few changes with holsters, guns, belts and clothing.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

How long after you received you permit did you start carrying?
    About two minutes. That's how long it took me to get my mail from the PO box to my car.
    CamoMama and fredg53 like this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I had a gun and a holster,way before i got my permit.I use to go hunting and shooting with my dad and brother.I don't hunt much,but,we still shoot.Even after i took the ccp class,i kept reading over the cc laws,and,then when i got the permit,it was the next day,or,day after,i went out to a mall ccing.

As soon as I got back to my truck from picking it up at the courthouse.
    pittypat21, Aceoky and fredg53 like this.

Same day.
    Aceoky likes this.

I got mine last month. I went and got a holster a week later. I have carried a few times since. I don't carry during the week because I can't carry at work or in my work truck. I have to get in the habit of grabbing it when I go out on the weekends.

DC
    I've had my CHP for just 17 months. I've had no official training but in this time I've have spent hundreds of hours in my off work spare time reading books, forums and various websites in addition to over 20 hours of training video. I realize that none of that compares to actual hands-on training from a pro but time and money is an issue. I started carrying 3 months after I began learning the basics.

For the first week of carrying my 9mm I didn't roll with one chambered. Silly me.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links