get a load of this Billboard

This is a discussion on get a load of this Billboard within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everybody has touched on the things i thought when i read the post. The big thing is educating your children about firearms.Also spend time with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: get a load of this Billboard

Everybody has touched on the things i thought when i read the post. The big thing is educating your children about firearms.Also spend time with your children,"TAKE THEM SHOOTING" children are naturally curious my kids were never curious about the guns in our home.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

2. Remove Ads

I have no problem with the idea of asking

My child is all grown now but if I had a little one, I see no problem of asking the parents of my child's playmates if they have guns.

First of all, I want to make sure that if the fit hits the shan, they could protect my child.

Secondly, even though my child would be very well trained on gun safety, her playmates may not be, so I would want to know if the other kids have received any gun safety training and if the guns are safely secured from unauthorized hands.

Might be a good way to educate some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I'd say 4% of gun owners aren't totally prepared. That or their living situation precludes having a 4 legged intrusion alarm.

That and of course 60% of homes aren't prepared at all. This bodes well for my alternate SHTF coping scenario.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. Mine has always been somewhat different than many others.
    OMG!!!!!
    I have both!!!!Oh lord what do I do???
    If someone was to break inmy house, chances are my 15 yr old son will take out the BG before he makes to my room. Always teach your kinds proper gun safety as well as train them do more than shoot paper targets. My son has beat me before at a tactical shoot. I love the fact he enjoys when we go shooting..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

This might sound nuts, but coming from the heart of redneck country, I hope everyone will understand.

I always ask when one of my sons will be staying somewhere. I follow it up by questioning how they are secured and request they do not handle them in my child's presence. My children are taught to call me to come get them if it should occur. I have seen too many "Bubbas" that don't know gun safety from heiroglyphics. I don't trust anyone else in the world to handle firearms around my kids until I know them well and have shot with them at least 3 times to see how they observe proper safety.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Quote Originally Posted by royalroadie View Post
    Razorblade,

You cut the heart right out of that billboard's false pretense! You are dead on.
    Ahh Thank you :) Many would argue that I'm the dullest in the drawer.

They should read the book, Freakonomics.

According to their research, households with swimming pools are 20x more dangerous than homes with guns.

Ban swimming pools for the children!!!
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Assistant Administrator
    I felt like making another statement - just 'because"
    Attached Images
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar

just brought this picture to mind.

The facts...

Dog ownership incidents
    Quote Originally Posted by CDC 'National Center for Injury Prevention and Control'
    National Dog Bite Prevention Week

Man and woman's best friend bites more than 4.7 million people a year, and key experts believe that public education can help prevent these bites...

Each year, 800,000 Americans seek medical attention for dog bites; half of these are children. Of those injured, 386,000 require treatment in an emergency department and about a dozen die. The rate of dog bite-related injuries is highest for children ages 5 to 9 years, and the rate decreases as children age. Almost two thirds of injuries among children ages four years and younger are to the head or neck region. Injury rates in children are significantly higher for boys than for girls. (See CDC MMWR article.)

Source - http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/biteprevention.htm
    Supporting article as cited by the CDC toward CDC 'Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report' - http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5226a1.htm

Firearm ownership incidents
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyCampaign.org | "Firearm Facts"
    • In 2002, 30,242 people in the United States died from firearm-related deaths – 11,829
    (39%) of those were murdered; 17,108 (57%) were suicides; 762 (3%) were accidents;
    and in 243 (1%) the intent was unknown. [5] In comparison, 33,651 Americans were
    killed in the Korean War and 58,193 Americans were killed in the Vietnam War.[6]
    • For every firearm fatality in the United States in 2002, there were estimated to be nearly two non-fatal firearm injuries.[7]

Endnotes:
    5. WISQARS, Injury Mortality Reports, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control. http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html
    (hereafter Injury Mortality Reports).
    6. Combat Area Casualty Figures. Center for Electronic Records. National Archives.
    7. WISQARS, Nonfatal Injury Reports, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control. http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates2001.html.

Sources - http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/f...earm_facts.pdf
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets

The Math...
    The Brady Campaign citation states "For every firearm fatality in the United States in 2002, there were estimated to be nearly two non-fatal firearm injuries", so lets do the math in detail.

11,829 + 17,108 + 762 + 243 = 29,942 total deaths
    29,942 x 2 = 59,884 'Estimated' non-fatal firearm injuries
    Total 'estimated' firearm incidents = 89,826
    4.7M Dog incidents / 89,826 Firearm incidents = 52.323 Dog incidents per firearm incident per year, estimated

The Bottomline...
    Dogs are much more of a danger to citizens be they dog owners or not, in their home or not.
    Dogs are greater than 52 times more dangerous as per information from the CDC and the Brady Campaign which sourced it's own as stated facts from the CDC as well. Of course the Brady campaigns statement that in '02 there were estimated to be nearly two unreported incidents for every firearm fataility is unsubstantiated but giving them benefit of the doubt that their statement is 100% factual then the math totals out as shown and the final conclusion is obvious.

Plainly the Brady Campaign amongst others have been barking up the wrong tree as their dog don't hunt, or rather it does as per the CDC and the victims they've counted.

BTW it took me roughly 20 minutes to locate the above information. Anyone could do the same and easily, if they cared to do so.

- Janq has a dog and a gun, and thus is doomed

"The truth hurts." - Old timey truism
    Last edited by Janq; November 14th, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Knives

I would venture to bet that 100% of homes have knives and you don't hear about kids playing "Helter Skelter" all day long. What a bunch of one-sided crap.
    Ray

كافر, and proud of it

European American, and proud of it

Member of the NRA, and proud of it

Be courteous, be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Good job Janq

pax
    I had a woman ask me whether we had guns in the house awhile back.

After listening to her concerns and asking some questions, I turned it into an invitation for her family to join mine at the range for a "Family Safety Day."

And -- they did.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I know this thread is dead but I couldn't think of a better place to put this...

ABC News
    'Lies, Myths, and Downright Stupidity! with John Stossel'
    http://www.youtube.com/v/RR9RN_iSKtg

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Here's another one...
    any child 0-17 in this country is 47 time more likely to die while their parent is reading that sign on the side of the highway then they are from a gun...
    From the CDC
    2004 data for 0-17yo

Unintentional deaths from a car: 4961
    Unintentional deaths from a gun: 105

you can get lots of interesting data here
    http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html

Better ban bathtubs, pools, lakes and rivers too since they are 9 times more likely to drown than get shot...drownings: 929

Heck even household chemicals are almost three times as deadly as guns...unintentional poisonings: 291

Last one since I'm preaching to the choir...unintentional suffocation is 10 time as deadly as a firearm...this one was a shocker to me 1,001
    Last edited by raysheen; March 24th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.

The fact is I never let my son go visit at other peoples houses alone unless I was sure that the adults there were responsible people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links