Defensive Carry banner

get a load of this Billboard

5K views 37 replies 33 participants last post by  Baby Hulk 
#1 · (Edited)
this morning i was driving on a semi busy road. frm a distance i see a gun on a billboard. so on my way back frm dropping off my cousin to work i pulled to the side of the road to read what they put about guns. it said 36% of homes have a dog (and next to tht was a dog)
then it said 40% of homes have a gun (on the side of that they put a gun) then it said Ask if there is a gun where your children play.
this brought to us buy www.askingsaveskids.org and www.ohioceasefire.org kinda looked like the pic i added but a lot bigger

I just would like to knw your thoughts on this billboard and these websites.

Since i asked i will answer first. i think tht the billboard sucks but i kinda like and dislike the idea of askingsaveskids.org. the parent part of me wants to make sure everything is safe but my daughter will knw wht to do if she sees a gun. the other part of me is saying it really is non of your concearn if i have a fire arm or not. also ohioceasefire.org is a bunch of bs. tht is all i have to say about tht site.

#11 ·
Exactly. Another way to scare the :sheep: into thinking that gun = accidental shooting.
If you want to play the statistics game, about 60% of homes in America have a flight of stairs, about 85% of homes in America have working electrical sockets, and darn near everyone has a bathroom with a working bathtub. Are you telling me that kids falling down stairs, sticking things in electrical sockets, or slipping in the tub happen less frequiently (and therefore, less likely to hurt someone) than a handgun?

You wouldn't tell people to get rid of their tubs, stop using stairs, and cut off the electricity. No! you would tell them the number one rule of being a parent is to be RESPONSIBLE. Keep an eye out and make sure the kids don't get into trouble, or if they do, know they can come to you to resolve the situation. Firearms are NOT exempt from responsiblity.

#5 ·
I'd say 4% of gun owners aren't totally prepared. That or their living situation precludes having a 4 legged intrusion alarm.

That and of course 60% of homes aren't prepared at all. This bodes well for my alternate SHTF coping scenario. :tumbleweed:

I guess it is a matter of perspective. Mine has always been somewhat different than many others.

#18 ·
OMG!!!!!
I have both!!!!Oh lord what do I do???
If someone was to break inmy house, chances are my 15 yr old son will take out the BG before he makes to my room. Always teach your kinds proper gun safety as well as train them do more than shoot paper targets. My son has beat me before at a tactical shoot. I love the fact he enjoys when we go shooting..

#14 ·
I'll throw in a +1 for Razor also. My thoughts exactly!

How many kids are killed EACH day in the US by motor vehicles? When do we start coming up with legislation to keep dangerous vehicles out of people's hands and off our streets? If it's really about keeping kids safe, go all the way or don't go at all.

In browsing through the sites that were listed I saw not one point anywhere on those pages where EDUCATING kids about the proper respect and safe handling of firearms would be a possible benefit. Education... now there's an idea!! :aargh4:

#16 ·
Everybody has touched on the things i thought when i read the post. The big thing is educating your children about firearms.Also spend time with your children,"TAKE THEM SHOOTING" children are naturally curious my kids were never curious about the guns in our home.

#17 ·
I have no problem with the idea of asking

My child is all grown now but if I had a little one, I see no problem of asking the parents of my child's playmates if they have guns.

First of all, I want to make sure that if the fit hits the shan, they could protect my child.

Secondly, even though my child would be very well trained on gun safety, her playmates may not be, so I would want to know if the other kids have received any gun safety training and if the guns are safely secured from unauthorized hands.

Might be a good way to educate some people.

#19 ·
This might sound nuts, but coming from the heart of ******* country, I hope everyone will understand.

I always ask when one of my sons will be staying somewhere. I follow it up by questioning how they are secured and request they do not handle them in my child's presence. My children are taught to call me to come get them if it should occur. I have seen too many "Bubbas" that don't know gun safety from heiroglyphics. I don't trust anyone else in the world to handle firearms around my kids until I know them well and have shot with them at least 3 times to see how they observe proper safety.

#24 · (Edited)
The facts...

Dog ownership incidents
CDC 'National Center for Injury Prevention and Control' said:
National Dog Bite Prevention Week

Man and woman's best friend bites more than 4.7 million people a year, and key experts believe that public education can help prevent these bites...

Each year, 800,000 Americans seek medical attention for dog bites; half of these are children. Of those injured, 386,000 require treatment in an emergency department and about a dozen die. The rate of dog bite-related injuries is highest for children ages 5 to 9 years, and the rate decreases as children age. Almost two thirds of injuries among children ages four years and younger are to the head or neck region. Injury rates in children are significantly higher for boys than for girls. (See CDC MMWR article.)

Source - http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/biteprevention.htm
Supporting article as cited by the CDC toward CDC 'Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report' - http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5226a1.htm

Firearm ownership incidents
BradyCampaign.org | "Firearm Facts" said:
• In 2002, 30,242 people in the United States died from firearm-related deaths – 11,829
(39%) of those were murdered; 17,108 (57%) were suicides; 762 (3%) were accidents;
and in 243 (1%) the intent was unknown. [5] In comparison, 33,651 Americans were
killed in the Korean War and 58,193 Americans were killed in the Vietnam War.[6]
• For every firearm fatality in the United States in 2002, there were estimated to be nearly two non-fatal firearm injuries.[7]

Endnotes:
5. WISQARS, Injury Mortality Reports, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control. http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html
(hereafter Injury Mortality Reports).
6. Combat Area Casualty Figures. Center for Electronic Records. National Archives.
7. WISQARS, Nonfatal Injury Reports, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control. http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates2001.html.

Sources - http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets/pdf/firearm_facts.pdf
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets

The Math...
The Brady Campaign citation states "For every firearm fatality in the United States in 2002, there were estimated to be nearly two non-fatal firearm injuries", so lets do the math in detail.

11,829 + 17,108 + 762 + 243 = 29,942 total deaths
29,942 x 2 = 59,884 'Estimated' non-fatal firearm injuries
Total 'estimated' firearm incidents = 89,826
4.7M Dog incidents / 89,826 Firearm incidents = 52.323 Dog incidents per firearm incident per year, estimated

The Bottomline...
Dogs are much more of a danger to citizens be they dog owners or not, in their home or not.
Dogs are greater than 52 times more dangerous as per information from the CDC and the Brady Campaign which sourced it's own as stated facts from the CDC as well. Of course the Brady campaigns statement that in '02 there were estimated to be nearly two unreported incidents for every firearm fataility is unsubstantiated but giving them benefit of the doubt that their statement is 100% factual then the math totals out as shown and the final conclusion is obvious.

Plainly the Brady Campaign amongst others have been barking up the wrong tree as their dog don't hunt, or rather it does as per the CDC and the victims they've counted.

BTW it took me roughly 20 minutes to locate the above information. Anyone could do the same and easily, if they cared to do so.

- Janq has a dog and a gun, and thus is doomed

"The truth hurts." - Old timey truism

#25 ·
Knives

I would venture to bet that 100% of homes have knives and you don't hear about kids playing "Helter Skelter" all day long. What a bunch of one-sided crap.

#38 ·
I would venture to bet that 100% of homes have knives and you don't hear about kids playing "Helter Skelter" all day long. What a bunch of one-sided crap.
I was thinking that 100% of homes have knives as I was reading this thread and was beat to this thought.

I think it's a matter of fear: many people fear handguns because they don't understand nor have they ever been educated about them.

firearms+bad= ignorance

education>ignorance

(Hope I got the sign correct!)

#28 ·
I know this thread is dead but I couldn't think of a better place to put this...

ABC News
'Lies, Myths, and Downright Stupidity! with John Stossel'
http://www.youtube.com/v/RR9RN_iSKtg

- Janq

#29 · (Edited)
Here's another one...
any child 0-17 in this country is 47 time more likely to die while their parent is reading that sign on the side of the highway then they are from a gun...
From the CDC
2004 data for 0-17yo

Unintentional deaths from a car: 4961
Unintentional deaths from a gun: 105

you can get lots of interesting data here
http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html

Better ban bathtubs, pools, lakes and rivers too since they are 9 times more likely to drown than get shot...drownings: 929

Heck even household chemicals are almost three times as deadly as guns...unintentional poisonings: 291

Last one since I'm preaching to the choir...unintentional suffocation is 10 time as deadly as a firearm...this one was a shocker to me 1,001

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.