A carry that works well with suit?

This is a discussion on A carry that works well with suit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well to start hello everyone im new around here, in the coming weeks I plan to purchase a compact handgun and take my courses etc, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A carry that works well with suit?

A carry that works well with suit?

Well to start hello everyone im new around here, in the coming weeks I plan to purchase a compact handgun and take my courses etc, im not to familiar with compacts

Primarily other than wanting a compact for concealment, I work in a suit, so im looking for something light weight that I wont have problems with, as for where the holster will be I originally wanted a inside belt holster, but realized thats not going to work for me, I need to be as low profile as I can get, so I was thinking a shoulder holster would work well as I don't button my suit top

Also im not to big a fan of s.o.b carry either.

So, that being said, sugguestions on what may work well for me are appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I know you said you wanted something light weight, but if you're going to use a shoulder holster, you can't go wrong with a 1911.
    Jdunn217 and BigJon10125 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I personally would go with a Glock 19 or M&P 9mm compact if I had to carry with a suit. If those are absolutely too large, a Kahr PM9 would be my next choice. IWB is the only thing I have ever found which meets all my needs, so any recommendations I would make would be on that platform, either a Brommeland Max-Con V The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube or a Midworld Ohio Special Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member
    With a shoulder holster, you could not take off your jacket. With a tuckable inside the belt holster you could. It doesn't get much lower profile than tuckable IWB unless you go deep concealment like smartcarry or thunderwear.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    With a shoulder holster, you could not take off your jacket. With a tuckable inside the belt holster you could. It doesn't get much lower profile than tuckable IWB unless you go deep concealment like smartcarry or thunderwear.

This. When I carry while wearing business attire, I carry a Springfield XDS in a Split Decision holster around the 8 o'clock(lefty) position. It is deep concealment that works well with a nice tucked in button down shirt and slacks. The gun virtually disappears.

Here is a link that'll give you a visual representation of how a tuckable holster looks/works.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/In_T...ingAugmentDraw

I carried a S&W M&P .40c tucked in an IWB CrossBreed Supertuck at my wedding in a suit. Nobody had any idea except the bride.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Lightweight gun, look at a Kahr CW9. As to holster types, I'd still go with IWB, but get a tuckable one.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    This. When I carry while wearing business attire, I carry a Springfield XDS in a Split Decision holster around the 8 o'clock(lefty) position. It is deep concealment that works well with a nice tucked in button down shirt and slacks. The gun virtually disappears.

Here is a link that'll give you a visual representation of how a tuckable holster looks/works.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/In_T...ingAugmentDraw
    Thanks, I think that WILL actually work for me, I just didnt want something above the belt that would be way too noticeable, I think the 8 o'clock position with that would be perfect

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

For Sunday go-to- meetin' dress

Kahr PM9 and a FIST #K2 High Ride kydex holster. It is OWB, comfortable, and a very flat combination. Fist Holsters. I carry at 4:00 and this set-up conceals just as well or better than FIST's #1A IWB for the PM9.

You DO NOT want a shoulder holster in Florida heat & humidity. And you're right, S.o.B. holsters (IMHO) are a bad idea for a whole variety of reasons. How big of a guy (or "gal", sorry) are you? I think the KAHR PM9 is good guidance, but pocket holster carry can work MUCH better in a suit than in jeans. That way, you can remove your coat with impunity.
    squid86 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'd go tuckable IWB or possibly pocket holster if you get a gun small enough. If neither of those work for you, you can go the Sterling Archer method:

Cyril: "What's this"
    Archer: "It's an underwear gun Cyril, don't make it weird"
    Cyril: "Wow, it's...slippery..."

archer.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    You DO NOT want a shoulder holster in Florida heat & humidity. And you're right, S.o.B. holsters (IMHO) are a bad idea for a whole variety of reasons. How big of a guy (or "gal", sorry) are you? I think the KAHR PM9 is good guidance, but pocket holster carry can work MUCH better in a suit than in jeans. That way, you can remove your coat with impunity.
    Yea you're most likely right about the heat and humidty thing, especially in my case im one of those very hair people (obviously a guy :P ) im 5.7 200lb, after the research i've done i think im leaving toward one of the tuckable iwb's
    and as for my handgun of choice im thinking the G26 gen 4 or a G36 , i know big difference, still havent really decided my calibery so those to models are up for debate, i think a pocket holster might be good for my days off , but the slacks i wear for work make just about anything in my pocket visible , however the IWB's i took time to look at REALLY hid the weapon well , so my mind is pretty much set from what i have seen , but i still have plenty of time to do more homework on the matter.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I wear suits almost daily when I am in court. My findings after years of trying various holsters is that a should rig works best. If you buy a nice quality shoulder holster, you will not even know you are wearing it.

BTW: My carry piece is a full size 1911.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member
    Do you ever take your jacket off? If so, a shoulder holster isn't the way to go. When I carry while wearing a suit I typically have to deep conceal. In those situations I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Pistol Wear holster at about 12:30 (AIWB). I can get to the gun going through 1 button. It isn't the fastest draw ever, but it is invisible for all intents and purposes and thus works for my situation.

Welcome to the forum. May I suggest a Walther PPS carried IWB in a Comp-tec MTAC?
    PPS | Walther Arms
    Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster
    onacoma likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links