Concealed Carry VS. the stainless steel firearm

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry VS. the stainless steel firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys I carry a sig c3 1911 pretty often and have had some issues with rust on my stainless guns. i keep it pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry VS. the stainless steel firearm

Concealed Carry VS. the stainless steel firearm

Hey Guys I carry a sig c3 1911 pretty often and have had some issues with rust on my stainless guns. i keep it pretty clean and got a product called EEZox and it seemed to slow it down but not eliminate it like they claim. and other Good ideas?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Are you sure it is rust? I've carried the Sig RCS dual tone, a SA SS Loaded Champion and a Dan Wesson SS Bobtail Commander in summer heat and never had a problem with the rusting.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Perhaps this might help.

3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use Eezox and have, almost exclusively, for a few years. It is a great rust preventer and a very good dry lube. Plus it cleans like nobody's business -- being very careful around plastic or rubber! I just finished cleaning and coating two pistols -- A Ruger .22 and a Bersa Thunder .380 (today I did small-bore day at the range ) -- and have both on the table drying. It should keep your guns, SS and otherwise -- free from rust. I saw a test where a number of gun lubes and CLP type products were used and Eezox came out on top for prevention of rust and length of time it was effective. Good stuff.

I am with the previous poster on this. I have been shooting all steel guns for over 40 years in competition and jungles. I wore one for years against my bare skin in Texas and Florida. Never a sign of rust and I was not very good at wiping it down every day or week for that matter. I am guessing that it me just be discolored. Could be your sweat reacting for a finish applied to the SS or something similar. I have never even had one of my blued guns rust on me with just basic maintenance.
    Keith44 likes this.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

Yep, I'm suspecting a unique reaction between your particular body-chemistry and your SIG. You say you carry "pretty" often & keep it "pretty" clean. With all due respect, that's a pretty subjective set of data. What type of holster are you using? Is the "rust" in areas that contact sweaty skin? It the "rust" tough to remove? Nixa, Missouri hasn't cornered the market on heat or humidity. IMHO, there's something else goin' on.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Stainless, or "Chromium Steel" can be of many different alloys with different properties. Making moving parts of the wrong SS alloy is a recipe for disaster. Some rust, some gall. Stainless steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Stainless, or "Chromium Steel" can be of many different alloys with different properties. Making moving parts of the wrong SS alloy is a recipe for disaster. Some rust, some gall. Stainless steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, all that's true. But SIG also has some good engineers & a fine reputation to uphold. They don't flip a coin when picking steels or finishes.
    Keith44 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

This is a very timely thread, since I just noticed some small rust spots on the "stainless steel" slide of my Sig p238.

I clean it regularly from dust and pocket lint, but am not all that great at giving it the cleaning it deserves. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that stainless steel didn't rust.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I switched to frog lube couple months back have to say the stuff is really good.

Bad steel!
    I've used ezzox for 20yrs on all my highend rifles & hand guns & it works!
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

I've been using good old fashion Bore Butter (black powder) and have never had a problem with rust.

Administrator
    Renaissance Wax. Incredible stuff.

I use it on all of my firearms.

Keith44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Rust specks could possibly be a chemical attack from skin acids, or even electrolysis on a micro-granular metal structure. Do you clean it with a brass or plastic brush to avoid embedding steel particles?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I've yet to meet a stainless gun I couldn't get rust to show up on in less than 3 days of carry in FL. Some people just have different chemistry in their sweat that reacts to steel... even stainless rusts if given the chance.
    I started using "Marine Tuf Cloth" with great results. Haven't had a gun rust up on me since... and I only apply it every 3-4 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links