Conflicted

Conflicted

This is a discussion on Conflicted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So , as of my first thread , i have been doing more research as i will be taking my CCW course soon , i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Conflicted

Conflicted

So , as of my first thread , i have been doing more research as i will be taking my CCW course soon , i reside in florida ,in the "not so great" area , and will leave it at that
    So recently i have been reading (about how to react when you are pulled over for traffic stop) and i see alot of people posting "dont ask dont tell" kind of responses , as in "my state does not require me to tell a officer i have a weapon on me unless they ask"

now currently (please correct me by all means if i am wrong) my state does not require me to inform the officer

HOWEVER , I personally feel more comfortable doing so , now heres my question.
    even if i do feel more comfortable with doing so , Am I in essence "digging my own grave" ? , as i know some officers are little to "gung ho" so to speak

Then I go on to read things like "If the officer doesnt ask dont tell blah blah blah it's your legal right blah blah" and , in my personal opinion i think these kind of people are what make some officers so upset when they pull someone over
    then later find out they have a conceal carry. Now please note i am NOT bashing people that excersise their rights , I am however , pointing out people that (in body language and manner of speaking with said officer) are more agressive with their rights than need be (tone of voice/ manner etc)

Now , The way i feel about it.

Yes. IT IS , my legal right to not tell them unless they ask , however , I feel if i were to tell the officer as soon as they approached with my hands on the wheel etc etc the outcome would be better for both of us.
    not because i am in fear of the officer being a "bad apple" but to avoid all of the unnecessary confrontation

So basicaly , what are your thoughts on this.

There is no one right answer to your question..... Basically in don't obligated to inform states it becomes a personal choice on whether to tell or wait to be asked.... It also depends on why you feel you are being stopped......

USM1976 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    There is no one right answer to your question..... Basically in don't obligated to inform states it becomes a personal choice on whether to tell or wait to be asked.... It also depends on why you feel you are being stopped......

Right, much as i figured, well i guess i should have added that but i see your point , i've only ever been pulled over twice , and both was for a tail light out (Something about the new mexico dry humidity did something to my tail lights!)
    but then again who knows, im not a wreckless or careless person but as the saying goes "stuff" happens". luckily not in my case yet -knocks on wood-

It does depend on the law, and why you're being stopped. Where I live, most of the time a routine traffic stop (eg speeding, failure to yield, etc) the cop takes your license, registration and insurance card and you stay in your vehicle. In that instance I probably wouldn't say anything about being armed. Occasionally the cop will see my CCW permit and ask, and if so I answer truthfully. Now, if for whatever reason the cop was to ask me to come back and have a seat in the cruiser I'd probably inform him first that I'm carrying (if I am). Just common sense to me.
    thechriskarel likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I don't think there is a one answer fit's all response. For minor traffic infractions, maybe not. But, if you're asked to step out of your car, then maybe yes.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I see. thanks for the input i would most definately announce that i do if i was asked to step out , no doubt, i guess from what im reading its down to choice (obviously) i was just curious on personal experience , time will tell i guess
    maybe im just being to over zealous on announcing straight off the bat from some horror storys i've read. hehe...

My practice is to be straightforward, courteous and honest, if not always open. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the officer. Don't give him a reason to worry and you'll be okay most of the time. I can't control the actions of other people, just my own.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Tirfup View Post
    So , as of my first thread , i have been doing more research as i will be taking my CCW course soon , i reside in florida ,in the "not so great" area , and will leave it at that
    So recently i have been reading (about how to react when you are pulled over for traffic stop) and i see alot of people posting "dont ask dont tell" kind of responses , as in "my state does not require me to tell a officer i have a weapon on me unless they ask"

now currently (please correct me by all means if i am wrong) my state does not require me to inform the officer

HOWEVER , I personally feel more comfortable doing so , now heres my question.
    even if i do feel more comfortable with doing so , Am I in essence "digging my own grave" ? , as i know some officers are little to "gung ho" so to speak

Then I go on to read things like "If the officer doesnt ask dont tell blah blah blah it's your legal right blah blah" and , in my personal opinion i think these kind of people are what make some officers so upset when they pull someone over
    then later find out they have a conceal carry. Now please note i am NOT bashing people that excersise their rights , I am however , pointing out people that (in body language and manner of speaking with said officer) are more agressive with their rights than need be (tone of voice/ manner etc)

Now , The way i feel about it.

Yes. IT IS , my legal right to not tell them unless they ask , however , I feel if i were to tell the officer as soon as they approached with my hands on the wheel etc etc the outcome would be better for both of us.
    not because i am in fear of the officer being a "bad apple" but to avoid all of the unnecessary confrontation

So basicaly , what are your thoughts on this.
    Follow all the traffic laws and you may never find out the right answer,,,,
    tcox4freedom and jrclen like this.
    I Love Guns!!!

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    An officer suddenly seeing you are armed might over react or cause more discomfort for you. Telling hurts nothing but not telling could hurt a lot.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

This time of month again for this topic LOL........same answer as before. Do what ya want as long as it is legal. I just don't want to be lectured by folks on this forum explaining why it is rude and not courteous to not inform a LEO just to make him comftorable. The LEO is not trying to make folks comftorable during a stop and he is looking inside your vehicle and examining you to see if you might be a BG or if you are acting suspicious.

He does not inform me he is getting a divorce, his finances are in a mess and he got ppassed up for promotion which puts him in a bad mood.

I can be courteous and polite and exercise my right while the LEO does his job. I expect the LEO to be professional and courteous and understanding later during the stop if for some reason I need to inform him of my carry status. He needs to rememeber that is a decision left legally to me.

And for those that say it is professional courtesy I will just reference this:

Law enforcement
    Since approximately 1990 the term has been used to refer to the practice by law enforcement officers allowing other officers to engage in traffic violations and some crimes without being reported or arrested.
    Professional Courtesy in Law Enforcement

So, as you can see, it is not professional courtesy.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Basically it comes down to your state law. If required to inform, then yes, you inform. If your state does not require you to inform, then no need to. If you do decide to inform, even if not required, no foul/no harm done. If on the other hand, your state requires it, and you don't BIG FOUL/ LOT'S of HARM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    An officer suddenly seeing you are armed might over react or cause more discomfort for you. Telling hurts nothing but not telling could hurt a lot.
    There is a you tube clip of a Florida deputy conducting a traffic stop. He asks the driver to get out and he notices the gun under the drivers shirt. Driver claims to be a ccw holder and you will see the deputies reaction to the situation. I will try to find the link

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Reading the thread, it appears the OP has read and understands the law. That is the first rule - always follow the law. As everyone else has posted, from there it is up to you.

Tirfup, it sounds like you are looking for validation of your opinion to inform if you are ever stopped. If that is what makes you comfortable, then that is what you should do.

I had an instructor who SUGGESTED we hand over our GA Weapons License along with our drivers license if ever pulled over while carrying, just to let the LEO know. His logic was that GA is a pretty gun friendly state and it is better to be proactive in that situation just to ensure things don't get sideways in the middle of a stop. I have never been pulled over while carrying (and I just jinxed myself), but my thought is that if I am in GA and the gun is on my person I will probably proactively disclose. If I am out of state, or the weapon is stored in the counsel or anywhere not on my person, I will probably not disclose unless asked. But that is just my opinion.

I can certainly see both sides and I am comfortable with either.

I'm in FL too & like you said we have no duty to inform. I've got a good cop friend who will disarm you if she's told about a weapon, I know of others who won't. I've debated to myself on whether or not I'll tell. I don't like the possibility of being disarmed - not for any other reason than it's safer for everybody if it stays in the holster. I've only been involved with the police once since I've been carrying and that was a traffic accident last fall. I was rear ended, hard - it was a 3 car accident with serious injuries to one of the other parties. When the police arrived I handed over both my license and my permit with no internal debate. The officer handed the permit back and said with a hey little lady type tone "I'm only interested in that if you're carrying" I gave him a grin and said "yes sir, that's why I gave it to you" He asked where my gun was (on my hip) and said as long as it stays there we have no problems. After he'd been working the scene for a bit and there was a calm moment, he walked up, leaned next to me on my van and said "so, what do you carry?" we shot the bull for a few minutes and that was that. It was a good first experience for me. Now will the next time go so well? Who knows. I haven't had a ticket in 15 years so I'm not overly concerned about getting pulled over. I'll likely inform again, even though the law says I don't have to. For me it seems courteous.

Just don't be the guy my friend pulled over at Sun n Fun several years ago. When she pulled him over, he waved his gun back and forth over his head for her to see!! Turns out, he was just trying to inform her he had a weapon, but a simple conservation would have handled it better! LOL!!
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Welcome from a little way north of you (PSL) and I know what you mean about your area. As others mentioned, you are not required to inform in FL, and it's entirely your call. I doubt any BG, especially in your area, has casually announced to an LEO who's stopped them that they are carrying. Ain't gonna happen.

My general feeling is not to inform unless asked. Then inform. Also, if asked to get out of the vehicle (and I've never been asked to exit), I would certainly inform at that point so there is no surprise, no misunderstanding. If you do choose to inform, you've done nothing "wrong" and are perfectly legal as long as you have your CWFL.

As for the above mentioned video of the stop gone bad, that was long before the recent passage of the change to accidental exposure and the officer involved is no longer a member of that outstanding PD. Nuff said on that topic.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links