Almost Had To Draw My Weapon Today

This is a discussion on Almost Had To Draw My Weapon Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was a very interesting day. My family and I were out taking care of some errands. As always, I was carrying. My wife ran ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Almost Had To Draw My Weapon Today

Almost Had To Draw My Weapon Today

Yesterday was a very interesting day. My family and I were out taking care of some errands. As always, I was carrying. My wife ran into a business to drop off some paperwork before a scheduled appointment. Concerned that we were not going to make the scheduled appointment, I told me 13 year old daughter and 4 year old son who was in the car with me that I was going to run in and ask mom how much longer she was going to be. I got out of the car locked the doors and went in to ask my wife how long she would be. I was gone all of 2 minutes.

When I returned to the car, my daughter tells me that "that man over there" came over to the car and asked if we were ok. About 50 feet away I see and very normal looking 30 ish looking individual looking at me. That is when my daughter tells me he tried to open the car door. The man yells at me "I was just checking to see if they were ok". I tell him we were fine. I decided to get into the car and drive away to put some distance between us and him.

As I am driving away, walking in the parking lot is a elder women and her husband walking to their car on the cell phone. The stop me and ask me if "that man" had tried to get into my car as well. I told them I think so. Turns out the elder couple found this guy sitting on in the car when they came out of the office. The police were on the way.

As they elder couple and I were in the parking lot waiting for the police to arrive. All of a sudden, the guy begins to walk toward us rather quickly with his hands in is pockets. He gets to a distance of about 30 feet and I tell him to stop do not come any closer. Which he does then proceeds to start rambling on about different things. Finally he says, "I just need help". I tell him that help is on the way and he needs to go sit "over there". Which he does, because if he and taken one more step toward us I would have pulled my weapon.

The police arrive and begin asking what happened, I direct him to my car and as we are walking to my car I inform him of my carry status. His only comment was to keep it there.

Turns out, during the day the police had 3 different calls that day on the same guy. They could do nothing on the previous calls because they did not have criminal charges on him. Now they did!

My wife finally understands why I carry!

2. Remove Ads

Regardless of what happened... you NEVER leave your young kid in the car unattended. I don't care if you can look through a window the entire time at them.
    Big no-no and I hope you never do it again.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    1. Glad you and your family are OK.

2. Glad you stuck around to be a good citizen, especially with the elderly couple.

3. Good situational awareness and command presence with the perp.

4. Now, get your wife involved in the "what if..." variations of your actual situation, try to raise her awareness of potential threats and get her to carry as well.

5. What, in hindsight, would you have done differently?
    ccw9mm, TN_Mike and SmokinFool like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If this was the third or fourth time that LEO had been called out then, IMO, the cops were negligent.

He obviously has some type of issues. They could have taken him to the station to just 'relocate' or 'distract' him if nothing else.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Regardless of what happened... you NEVER leave your young kid in the car unattended. I don't care if you can look through a window the entire time at them.
    Did you miss the part where he said his 13 year old was there too? Most 13 year olds I know babysit on a regular basis, so they are alone with younger children.

Yup......if that was up here the cops would have been coming for you if someone saw you leave your kids unattended in the car........even for the 2 minutes....don't do it again.....you could have called your wife on a cell phone.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksthumper View Post
    If this was the third or fourth time that LEO had been called out then, IMO, the cops were negligent.

He obviously has some type of issues. They could have taken him to the station to just 'relocate' or 'distract' him if nothing else.
    While the actual Statutes of each state are somewhat different, the 4th Amendment ("The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.") is taken pretty seriously by many Law Enforcement agencies, and by the Judges.

There is a difficult gray area when somebody is acting "weird" but no actual crime has been committed. Before a person can be "detained" the officer has to have a particularized suspicion that a crime has taken place, is taking place, or will take place. It is a very serious thing to take away a citizen's Freedom.

Unless you want us as a society to change our method of law enforcement--there was that Tom Cruise movie (don't remember the title) where they arrested people for crimes that some computer said they were going to commit.

Yeah, the guy can be "leaned on" some but last time I checked, being weird was not a crime, and he still has his own rights as a citizen (until he actually breaks a law). [well, even then he still has "rights" but his freedom can be at least temporarily "adjusted".]
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

^ This.

As you found out, it only takes a moment of inattentiveness for an alert predator to swoop for the kill.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Did you miss the part where he said his 13 year old was there too? Most 13 year olds I know babysit on a regular basis, so they are alone with younger children.
    Yeah the day I trust a 13 year old against a car jacker is the day pigs fly.

13 year olds are plenty old enough to leave in a locked car alone. Considering they are able to operate the car @ 15y/o I see nothing wrong with this. the OP did the right thing in my opinion, some times these things happen and that's why we carry.

Lets get real here fellas, 13 year olds walk home from school alone, Go out to movies/mall alone etc etc. Questioning the OP's parenting is completely out of line and if you are afraid to leave a 13 year old alone for 5 minutes you are completely over protective.

VIP Member

His oldest was 13 for cripes sake.
    You would leave your 13 year old at home alone, why not in a locked car, in broad daylight with you, 20 steps away?

OP, you did good, glad the older couple were there to substantiate claims and bear witness.
    Hope they keep this idiot out of the picture for awhile.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    13 year olds are plenty old enough to leave in a locked car alone. Considering they are able to operate the car @ 15y/o I see nothing wrong with this. the OP did the right thing in my opinion, some times these things happen and that's why we carry.

Lets get real here fellas, 13 year olds walk home from school alone, Go out to movies/mall alone etc etc. Questioning the OP's parenting is completely out of line and if you are afraid to leave a 13 year old alone for 5 minutes you are completely over protective.
    Hell, I was driving at 13.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Good job. Glad it all tuned out ok for you and yours.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I guess I have a different parenting style than some of you. There isn't a 13 year old in the world I'd leave alone in the car in a public area with my 4 year old. It takes a lot less time to unbuckle a car seat than do a smash and grab... and I couldn't have that on my conscience much less my 13 year old kid's for the rest of her life.

Kids that are sheltered until they are 18 or what have you end up being helpless adults. Just what we need more of in America.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links