Are you young enough to remember the revolver?

This is a discussion on Are you young enough to remember the revolver? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are you one that grew up with the revolver or was born in the Glock age? Another thread at this site has a post where ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Are you young enough to remember the revolver?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Are you one that grew up with the revolver or was born in the Glock age?

Another thread at this site has a post where someone said that a semi was better for self defense than a revolver. Rather than highjack the thread, I began another. Feel free to jump in since not all people are going to like my opinions.

Most shootist (those that are into guns and shoot often) are too young to remember the days before the semi became popular or why it became popular. So here is a history lesson and maybe a few can learn from it.

Back in the day, there were only a couple of real contenders in the auto loader market. One of those was Colt and it main stay was the 1911. There were other small time players but auto loaders were not popular. Police carried revolvers and usually only six loose rounds in an ammo pouch. The avg shooting was less than four shots fired. The civilian population loved the Chiefs Special, the Diamond Back,, the Anaconda, the Python and many others. About everyone had their .38spl, 357 mag and a lot of other revolver calibers.

Then the druggies began their drive by shootings. They did not practice their aim so they missed a lot. This required them to either have several loaded guns or a lot of helpful shooters. Their needs sent them in search of higher capacity firearms. Some foreign makers of AK, SKS and other type weapons were making guns with high capacity mags and the druggies were buying them. Then some handgun makers upped the game and began making larger capacity handguns like the Tec Nine. The drive by guys still missed more often than not and still do to this day. The police were not missing as often but Glock entered the scene and bought their way into law enforcement. A local dept was using the S&W 686 but Glock offered them $310 for each trade in and sold them new model 17 Glocks for $275, this making a profit for the dept and getting new guns with cheaper ammo. Of course, they left the 9mm a few years later since it was not working as planned. But then they had to buy the Glock model 22 in order to get a good price from a maker and Glock gave the best trade in offer.

Civilians began seeing police all across the nation carrying Glocks. They wanted what the police carried. As with the gas prices of the 70's created the car makers to build smaller, more efficient cars, the demand for Glocks and the auto loaders forced gun makers to get on the auto loader bandwagon. Of course, there was the Browning Hi Power and the 1911 at the time but makers as welas the public wanted more offerings.

Now the typical shooting went up in rounds fired. Everyone was trading accuracy for capacity by using the pray and spray method.. However, this was good for the ammo makers because they were selling more ammo.

Yet, now let’s look at the revolver vs the auto loader.

A revolver is more accurate. Many will not believe that but it is true. As a bullet travels the length of the barrel of an auto loader, there are many movements going on within the gun. As we all know, movement causes a loss in accuracy, be it flinching, loose gun grip or what ever. With a revolver, pull the trigger and nothing is going on inside the gun other than a bullet travelling down the barrel. Before the second pull of the trigger on a revolver can be made, the bullet has long since left the barrel.

A revolver is more simple to operate. No safeties to release, no magazines to worry with, no rounds requiring chambering, no mag springs to worry about, no slide bite to be concerned with, no failure to feed issues, no ejection problems and so many more considerations.

The revolver shooter is going to be more accountable in the number of rounds fired since each round counts and therefore, making the shooter become more accurate.

In a self defense situation, the revolver will work better for the average citizen. Simply put, the revolver is simpler to operate, especially for the casual shooter that only goes to the range once every couple of years, as most gun owners actually do.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Im carrying semi but cant argue with one point youve made. I remember KSP carrying the 357 and you definitely did not want those old boys in the Grey Ghost Ford cruisers either chasing you or shooting at you.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Semis have their place no doubt, but at my age I am much more comfortable using one of my snubs. I shoot better faster and more accurate than with my glock. I practice an carry speed strips.
    fredg53, RichB70 and GhostMaker like this.

I very much agree with you oldman I love my wheel guns
    fredg53 and USM1976 like this.
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

VIP Member
    I shot revolvers at a very early age, but never got attached to them. I got my first handgun in 1967, an Erma Luger. The only wheel-guns I have ever owned are the ones I inherited, except for the Model 29 I bought when everybody else was buying model 29s.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

...in a self defense situation...the casual shooter that only goes to the range once every couple of years
    If you like wheelguns, that's fine, me too. But if a handgun is being carried for defensive purposes & if practice only comes...every other year, then the problem is MUCH bigger than revolver vs. autoloader.

And Colt "Diamondback" is one word.

And I gather you think that "the druggies" are responsible for the popularity of autoloaders? Wow, did they contribute to cell phones & laptops as well?
    Jemsaal and Secret Spuk like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I have three 9mm semi autos, but the rest of my centerfire handguns are revolvers, and I have a lot of them.

Both autoloaders and revolvers have pros and cons, but I just prefer revolvers. I also think revolvers are the gun of choice for novice or infrequent shooters that do not practice enough to become very familiar with their weapon.

For those civvies that take the time to learn their weapon of choice, though, I think either is a fine choice for carry.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

They both have their place. That said a LCR goes every where I go. With a auto added depending on location.
    fredg53 likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Interesting story on why semi autos became popular. I feel it was just advances in technology that brought the semi into mass use, rather than drive by drug dealers and such. If a revolver works for you, congrats, I trained on revolvers but find semis fit my needs better. The drawbacks to revolvers (accuracy claims not included) are such I find a semi a much better option.
    gasmitty and tcox4freedom like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    All things equal, I carry a 1911 and have for dozens of years. Sure, I carried the S&W wheel guns and was deadly accurate with them. I also carried to models of Glocks over the years. Yet my love and heart is in the 1911. I still have a lot of revolvers in my collection and shoot some of them often. One of them is a .45 Long Colt.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I grew up shooting revolvers, but when it came time for concealment I picked a Glock 19. I love it and I don't think it's hard to use. I find that there are a lot of revolvers I hate, and a few I love. Same for semi-autos.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I have shot a couple of revolvers,my dad and some of my friends own.When my uncle passed,he had no kids,he left me his S&W 357 mag.It's the model 19-2.I have shot it a couple of times,with 38 and 357 ammo.It's a bit heavy.It shoots well,but,it could stand to be reblued.S&W wants 220.00,to do it.When i have enough pennies to do it,i'm going to check around here as well.

OD*
    We first began seeing Smith & Wesson semi-autos in LEO's holsters long before Glocks were ever developed, the Illinois State Police adopted the Model 39 in 1967, SEAL Teams used the Model 39 in Vietnam, a modified version called the Mk 22 Mod 0, or by it's nickname, "hush puppy." The standard Model 39 was also issued. You can't blame Glock, the semi-auto was better suited to the LEOs needs at the time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I'm 26 and grew up shooting revolvers and still care for them dearly.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Interesting story on why semi autos became popular. I feel it was just advances in technology that brought the semi into mass use, rather than drive by drug dealers and such. If a revolver works for you, congrats, I trained on revolvers but find semis fit my needs better. The drawbacks to revolvers (accuracy claims not included) are such I find a semi a much better option.
    You are correct, the change to semi-autos started long before the gangbanger wars.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links