I converted an anti without even trying to!!!! Long

This is a discussion on I converted an anti without even trying to!!!! Long within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off let me give you a little back ground on the "not so anymore anti". That would be my sister-in-law. She grew up in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I converted an anti without even trying to!!!! Long

I converted an anti without even trying to!!!! Long

First off let me give you a little back ground on the "not so anymore anti". That would be my sister-in-law. She grew up in a family that has always said guns are bad, guns kill people, never touch a gun, ect. ect. When she was little she could not even have a water gun and at one point was even told she could not hang out with another girl in her neighborhood because of the guns in the house.

So the other day my wife and I went to spend the day with my brother his wife and 1 year old daughter. My sister-in-law and I went to make a Starbucks run for everyone. As we went to leave she said she wanted just her and I to go. At this point I am thinking she is going to ask me to not bring a gun into her house or around her child. Being that I am close with my brother my wife and I had made up our minds that we would follow their request if they ask us not to carry around them. When we left I could tell she was trying to bring up the conversation about guns but did not know how, so I just asked her to spit it out. Much to my surprise she asked if I would take her shooting and teach her about gun. She stated that she did not want her daughter to be as afraid of guns as she is. Knowing that my wife and I carry all the time she knew at some point our neice would be around guns and did not want her to be afraid of us. She has also heard about some of the calls I have taken at the PD and some of the home break ins that have happened around her area. She told me that I am the first person she has ever known to carry and has realized that guns don't kill people and they are safe in the right hands. Then when I got married and my wife started carrying she thought if my wife was not affraid of guns why should she.

Come to find out a few days prior to her talking with me her and my brother had a conversation about guns. He has an old shotgun he used to hunt with and he was going to bring it home to have as a home defense gun. She will only let him bring it in after I teach her how to shoot. She said if she can find one she likes and has the money she would think about carrying concealed.

So far the only stipulation is I have to teach my brother to shoot a pistol as he never has and that nobody tell her parents just yet what she is doing.

2. Remove Ads

It's a start, just make sure you follow through. And make sure she knows the only dumb question, is the one not asked.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Excellent!..
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Golf claps.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    bravo!

Just goes to show you, that sometimes your actions speak much louder, and more effectively than your words. Good Job!

that's great..

That is so Cool........
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

pax
    Excellent!

Hate to be a shill, but when she's ready, send her past my site. It'll reinforce the idea that there are other women who shoot and who aren't afraid of firearms -- and maybe give her some good info too.

Keep up the good work.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    I've said this before, but women (especially mothers) are the key to changing anti-gun attitudes.

The more women feel the need & responsibility, to protect themselves, the more converts we will get.

One of the keys to it, is getting them to see the benefits, not just the promotion of fear of accidents that the anti's use.

After all...'it's for the children'...........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Pax's site is an excellent resource. I suggest you start here before taking her out to the range:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Newbie/Newbie.htm

There are other good online resources for teaching newbies (and especially newbies who are also womenfolk) I'm sure others will be posted.

VIP Member
    Good job.

VIP Member
    That's great news. She was raised in a household that feared guns, and yet she's decided to face the phobia and is learning that education is the best way to overcome it.

And with her daughter getting educated, that's one less child tempted to unsafely handle a gun out of ignorant curiousity.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Well done.

New Member Array theprepared_com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Excellent!

Hate to be a shill, but when she's ready, send her past my site. It'll reinforce the idea that there are other women who shoot and who aren't afraid of firearms -- and maybe give her some good info too.

Keep up the good work.

pax

Great site! I hope you dont mind me linking from my site?

http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...d=17&Itemid=30

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Pax's site is an excellent resource. I suggest you start here before taking her out to the range:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Newbie/Newbie.htm

There are other good online resources for teaching newbies (and especially newbies who are also womenfolk) I'm sure others will be posted.

It's not shilling if it's that good :-)

This is a great resource. Thanks, Pax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links