Reason for having a non-resident permit w/out holding a permit in your resident state

Reason for having a non-resident permit w/out holding a permit in your resident state

This is a discussion on Reason for having a non-resident permit w/out holding a permit in your resident state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a non-resident Florida concealed carry permit that serves as my only carry permit. I just noticed that Pennsylvania and Washington joined the states ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Reason for having a non-resident permit w/out holding a permit in your resident state

I have a non-resident Florida concealed carry permit that serves as my only carry permit. I just noticed that Pennsylvania and Washington joined the states that will not honor a non-resident Florida permit. The growing number of states attempting to close this loophole is worrisome. I hear many people argue that anyone who carries should obtain a permit in their state of residence before being allowed to get a non-resident permit. Well, I kind of agree and kind of don't. Here's why: I'm an Oklahoma resident that is obtaining my graduate degree in Kentucky. Since I'm a student, I don't have to forfeit my Oklahoma residence. Well, I decided I wanted to carry since I'm now living in Louisville instead of small-town Oklahoma. So, I go to get a Kentucky driver's license. I am told that I would have to pay approximately $1,000 dollars in tax to Kentucky for my wife's new car that was bought in Oklahoma (she got a new car in Oklahoma because we had better jobs at the time). They said that I have to make up the difference in sales tax between the two states (OK=3.5%, KY=6%). I'm a student and can't afford that, so I can't get a KY driver's license or carry permit. I can't get an Oklahoma carry permit, because I only return to Oklahoma at Christmas. Consequently, I don't have time to take the Oklahoma training course (the KY training course I took is no good in OK) and submit my documentation to the courts. A Florida non-resident permit proved to be my only option.
    I'm not a criminal or tax evader. I'm just a broke student trying to defend my family and myself. This is my reasoning behind getting a Florida permit. My hope is that more people will realize the benefit of a Florida non-resident permit and will openly oppose future attempts to increase gun controls laws.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    As long as you are legal go ahead. Keep in mind in some places their are clauses that if you don't have a CCW from your state a non-res permit is not valid.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The people you are opposing are anti-gunners who generally will use any tragedy or accident to further their agenda. They will take any incremental step they can to reduce our rights.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.

I've been pretty careful with the clauses. I'm pretty good with laws. I've even figured out how to legally buy handguns in both KY and OK.

I say don't worry about it. My first permit was non-resident because I was unsure which state I was going to be moving to this summer. If my resident permit would've come in the mail after I moved it would've been wasted time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
    I have a non-resident Florida concealed carry permit that serves as my only carry permit. I just noticed that Pennsylvania and Washington joined the states that will not honor a non-resident Florida permit. The growing number of states attempting to close this loophole is worrisome. I hear many people argue that anyone who carries should obtain a permit in their state of residence before being allowed to get a non-resident permit. Well, I kind of agree and kind of don't. Here's why: I'm an Oklahoma resident that is obtaining my graduate degree in Kentucky. Since I'm a student, I don't have to forfeit my Oklahoma residence. Well, I decided I wanted to carry since I'm now living in Louisville instead of small-town Oklahoma. So, I go to get a Kentucky driver's license. I am told that I would have to pay approximately $1,000 dollars in tax to Kentucky for my wife's new car that was bought in Oklahoma (she got a new car in Oklahoma because we had better jobs at the time). They said that I have to make up the difference in sales tax between the two states (OK=3.5%, KY=6%). I'm a student and can't afford that, so I can't get a KY driver's license or carry permit. I can't get an Oklahoma carry permit, because I only return to Oklahoma at Christmas. Consequently, I don't have time to take the Oklahoma training course (the KY training course I took is no good in OK) and submit my documentation to the courts. A Florida non-resident permit proved to be my only option.
    I'm not a criminal or tax evader. I'm just a broke student trying to defend my family and myself. This is my reasoning behind getting a Florida permit. My hope is that more people will realize the benefit of a Florida non-resident permit and will openly oppose future attempts to increase gun controls laws.
    I have not done much research into it, but to pass along what I do know-

The Governor just signed legislation recently that among other things changes the time KSP has to issue or deny (for cause only) from 90- 60 days & (this one may matter?) also I believe it removes the residency requirement (used to be six months prior to) you"might" be able to find that part to your benefit? Worth checking into IMO

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    You compared apples to oranges. If you live in a state, unless you are military, your residence remains in your home state. If you are a college student, your residence remains in your home state.

That being told, the same applies to a concealed permit.

However, you cannot have a driver's license from a state in which you do not live in any fashion. People were getting FL non-resident permits because they could not in their own state and the FL permits were cheaper. Why allow someone in a state to pay money to another state when the same thing is available in their own state? Louisiana offers resident cocealed permits so why should they honor a resident with a non resident FL permit? They would not honor a non resident FL driver's license.

Get your OK permit and you will be fine.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I have a Florida permit because I am not yet a US Citizen and my home state of Missouri will only issue to Citizens. For now the Florida permit is my only option. As soon as I become a Citizen I will also get my Missouri permit.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    YOu compared apples to oranges. If you live in a state, unless you are military, your residence remains in your home state. If you are a college student, your residence remains in your home state.

That being told, the same applies to a concealed permit.

However, you cannot have a driver's license from a state in which you do not live in any fashion. People were getting FL non-resident permits because they could not in their own state and the FL permits were cheaper. Why allow someone in a state to pay money to another state when the same thing is available in their own state? Louisiana offers resident cocealed permits so why should they honor a resident with a non resident FL permit? They would not honor a non resident FL driver's license.

Get your OK permit and you will be fine.
    I would gladly get my OK permit but it just isn't possible until I graduate and return home, if I return home. Like a previous poster said, I'll have no idea where I'll be moving to over the next 5 years. Why waste my money?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
    I would gladly get my OK permit but it just isn't possible until I graduate and return home, if I return home. Like a previous poster said, I'll have no idea where I'll be moving to over the next 5 years. Why waste my money?
    OK, I commend you for getting a good education. One can never be over educated although I was educated past my level of intelligence.

Butg I will bet you will go home for visits within a few months. You could meet the requirements at that time and send off your app. Again, you brought up money. I had a fellow tell me once that he hated his teaching job and wanted to be an attorney. The problem there was it would take three year and a lot of money. I asked him what he would be doing in three years if he did not spend the money and attend law school. The light went on in his head.

Suppose in a year or two, some federal law comes to be saying out of state license were not being allowed. What then? If you do things legal up front, there are no ramifications later on. I would even bet you can get your OK permit by mail from your current location. Just order the app, get yourself printed and photos and then sent off. It would be the same a s the FL permit on more honest and certainly more legal. Then we have your statement about where you will be moving in five years. Great, even with a FL permit, where are you going to be moving in five years? I will bet you can move just as easily with an OK permit as with a non resident FL permit. Sometimes we look for excuses when we do not need any. Get your OK permit and I promise you that you will be a lot happier with it.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

FYI....Washington State just revoked the reciprocity agreement with Florida. Now neither the FL Resident or FL non-resident permit is valid for CC in WA.

One reason I wouldn't ever get a FL permit is that they are hypocritical in their approach to CHL permits.

They push their nonresident permits, but yet are one of 4 states, FL, CO, SC, MI, that don't recongnize any non resident permits themselves.

I don't have a problem with folks coming over from AR to get their TX permit depending on the situation. If they are thinking about relocating soon, or have a habit of moving frequently it doesn't make much sense to get an AR permit that will become in valid as soon as one leaves the state. Where as, if they get a TX permit as a non resident and move, someplace else, or into TX, their permit will still be valid and all they have to do is notify the state and pay $25 for the change of address for the duplicate permit.

If a non resident does attend our class, I will certainly tell them that what we are covering is for TX only, and they need to be familiar with their own state laws. I give everyone that attends our classes a printout with info on TX, AR, LA and OK, so they can familiarize themselves with each of those state laws. We are too close to not be informed and get yourself into a jam because "you didn't know".
    oldman45 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

DBS
    I have a resident permit in Virginia. But I think I'm going to get a non-resident Arizona permit as well, because that will get me some states that don't recognize VA, like Pennsylvania and Georgia. It's all legal and above-board, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    FYI....Washington State just revoked the reciprocity agreement with Florida. Now neither the FL Resident or FL non-resident permit is valid for CC in WA.
    There is only ONE permit here in FL, and what determines if it is resident or non-resident is where your driver's license says you live...(there is not even an address on the newer FL permits).
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    All of which really goes to the complex issue of residence in a very mobile country with folks moving around and living part of their lives in one place and part in another.

When I was still a student I variously lived in NY, CT, OH, IA, MN, and even briefly Ontario. Every time I moved it meant
    changing my DL and car registration within 30 days. The moves had complex tax implications and caused complicated tax filings at the end of each year.

I mention this because it really is past time--- long past time-- that folks should be able to get one DL and register their
    vehicle once, and not have to worry about all the garbage that goes with moving around. ANd the same goes for the CHL.

The relevant state's rights issues need to be deep 6 ed. We are one large country in a modern and mobile world, and
    we need to get our laws into the 21st century.

The problems go much further than just DLs, CHLs, and vehicle registration. The complexities that having multiple
    domiciles and residence inflict on things like taxation, inheritance, divorce, probate, are ridiculous.

There was a time I used the signature line, "one nation indivisible." That should be more than just a slogan. That should be the way we
    actually live, and the way things actually work in daily life.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 2nd, 2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links