MI to NC Travel Tips?

This is a discussion on MI to NC Travel Tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks, I plan to make a road trip from Michigan to Charlotte, NC in a few weeks and I'm wondering if you have any ...

Thread: MI to NC Travel Tips?

MI to NC Travel Tips?

Hey folks, I plan to make a road trip from Michigan to Charlotte, NC in a few weeks and I'm wondering if you have any tips on travel. This will be my first trip out of state when packing. I know to check out handgunlaw.us for specific laws, but I'm putting my ear to the ground. I want to know what the good citizens here have to add. I plan to travel through Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Thanks.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

As far as Ohio goes, there is a reciprocity agreement, so you can carry here, just keep in mind that in Ohio a liscensee has to have the weapon either in a holster in "plain sight" on their person, or be locked in a glvoe box or in a gun case in "plain sight". Also carry in rest stops in Ohio is prohibited since they are owned by the state government. I can't speak for the other states, but those are some basics on Ohio that make it a big pain in the butt to carry.

Two laws that come to mind that seem to differ from state to state is here it's a no-no to carry in a restaurant where you can purchase and consume on premises (makes most chains off limits) and no carry where anywhere that admission was charged to get in (movies, zoo, etc).

VIP Member
    In NC we are pretty restricted as compared to some states so log on to the NC attorney generals web page and read NC regs.

This is a direct link to North Carolina gun laws.

As far as NC goes, you are good to go, but it would be advisable to get something from the AG in your state that shows the agreement as not all of the officers in this state are very aware of the gun laws in general.

Ohio...

what a bunch of goofy laws...
    On your body in plain sight once in the car...but concealed as soon as you exit your vehicle...
    No carry in rest areas? These places are 'filled' with crime...
    Last time I traveled to Michigan, from Floirda...I avoided Ohio, completely...I went through Indiana. If Ohio doesn't care about my safety in rest areas...then I will take my $$$ to Indiana.

'Nuff said...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is a bill in the State congress that is basically waiting for the new governor to take office, since Taft has said he would veto it. It is supposed to fix some of the problems like the open carry requirement, that was insisted on by the superintendent of the Highway Patrol. But that won't be passed or take effect until next year (hopefully.) As far as the rest stops go I know of gun friendly gas stations and truck stops, and if i have to stop stop there, but yes, Ohio is a major pain for moving a loaded firearm in a vehicle even with a permit, it is also a state where law enforcement must be informed if they pull you over, which i forgot to mention before, even though those of us with CHL have that tied to our liscense plates so they know when they run em. I'm pretty sure the duty to inform would apply to concealed carriers from other states as well.

Charge Admission?

I've done my best to understand the NC law on off limits carry where admission is charged, but... I'm not sure I know if it applies to me. I will be attending a convention for work. It does require a registration fee. It is a "private" convention. I did not personally pay the registration fee. Does this constitute off-limits? I know that most of you will rightly point me to a lawyer, but what are your opinions?

I'm also thinking of avoiding Ohio and West Virginia. WV does not have reciprocity with MI, and I don't think I want to open carry.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

My only travel tip for you while in NC is to enjoy the Barbeque. Smithfields is a good restaurant to start with. Anytime I'm down there, I make a pilgrimage to all of my favorite restaurants. Then when I'm back in Virginia, I make a pilgrimage to my local gym to work off the excess calories.

Links