letter to politicians, please help again (long)

This is a discussion on letter to politicians, please help again (long) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I previously posted the first of these two letters asking for help in what you thought, I again am posting this letter, and one other ...

Thread: letter to politicians, please help again (long)

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

I previously posted the first of these two letters asking for help in what you thought, I again am posting this letter, and one other version, slight difference, but I wanted to see what the collective CC thought.

This is intended to go to politicians and to hopefully "kick start" a realization that their is in fact a positive side of gun ownership, and that we are not the bad guys.

Please let me know which one you like, and any suggestions you might have.

I'm not planning on winning the war with this, I just don't want to sit around and wait, maybe if we are lucky, the seeds we plant today, may shape the decision makers views for tomorrow. That's what this is about.

Letter # 1
    Dear, Xxxxxxx

I would like to ask for a minute of your time to inquire about your thoughts on firearms ownership in America. There are as many arguments for and against firearms as there are people you might ask, but this letter is focusing on handguns in particular. I am a proponent of law abiding citizens lawfully owning handguns, and believe that contrary to the portrayal in the mass media, the benefits of handgun ownership out weighs the negative stories we see on TV and read about in the papers. It is true that guns have been used in some very despicable manners, including murdering children in schools, and while playing in their back yards, but they are also used every day to protect the innocent, these stories don’t carry the “shock value” thus are not portrayed with the same level of notoriety that the “slayings” receive, if they even make the news at all.

We have been taught since childhood that the Police will be there to protect us, yet they have no responsibility or liability for the safety of the individual citizen, (Warren vs District of Columbia)I do believe that they are our best “front line” defense against the criminal element, but it is proven in the papers every day that they are unable to protect us from murder, or prevent assaults, and rapes. It is my opinion and an arguable one, that there is no better tool for a citizen to use to protect themselves from the attack of a stronger person, or multiple aggressors than that of a handgun. How many women in this country could fight off a rapist that is twice her size? And being raped could as easily today become a death sentence, with the spread of aids, and other catastrophic diseases yet to be discovered.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this issue. Please in the future when considering bills, amendments, and other legislature, consider the positive side to firearms and the loss of personal protection to the law abiding citizens of this great country should actions be taken to remove them. Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely

Mike Xxxxxx

Letter # 2

Dear, Xxxxxxx

I would like to ask for a minute of your time to inquire about your thought on gun ownership in America, and your plans for the future, as it regards to the ownership of guns by individual citizens in America. There are as many views on the subject of guns as the number of people you ask about them.

As a parent in America today, I accept the responsibility of the safety and welfare of my family. That includes everything from ensuring that they have a roof over their heads and food on the table, to making sure that the environment in which we live is free from danger. That includes the proper care and storage of medicines, chemicals and of course firearms. I firmly believe that this way of thinking and acceptance of this level of responsibility towards ones family is the norm in our society. As with all aspects of life, there are the few that make the rest look bad. Please don’t judge the many on the misdeeds of the very few.

Responsible gun ownership is in my opinion, fundamental to the security of ones home, and surroundings when outside of the home. I make this statement for three primary reasons, First, criminals will always have weapons, be it guns, knives, sticks or shear size and numbers. How many men or women in today’s society could successfully fend of an attacker twice their size? Secondly, the police can not be everywhere all the time, It can take only seconds to become overwhelmed by an attacker. Thirdly, Police are under no obligation or hold any liability to protect us the citizens of America. Case in point,
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

So unlike the parent of a child, the laws of America are written so that we the citizens are ultimately responsible for our own safety. Please keep that fact in mind when considering any legislation that is aimed at limiting or even worse, removing from the average American Citizen, the ability to properly protect their family’s and themselves. Contrary to what the mass media would like you to believe, we are not the enemy of peace in America.

Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely

Mike Xxxxxx
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I admire what you're trying to do, but neither of these letters is going to help, because both of them are way too long. Even a generally pro-gun politician isn't going to take the time to read all of this. Anti-gun politicians aren't going to get past the first sentence. To get the attention of a politician you need to be extremely brief.

Example:

Violent crimes happen every day in America (our city, our state, whatever, depending on the politician you're writing to). The police cannot be everywhere, so each citizen must be prepared to defend themselves when necessary. For that reason law-abiding citizens must have the right to arm themselves against criminals.

I would like to know what you plan to do to accomplish this.

Sincerely...

Don't expect a real response, though. What you'll get will be a form letter that only very vaguely explains that politicians views. When politicians get letters like this they tally whether it is "pro" or "con" and then they send a prepared response. If the politician is generally anti-gun, but gets a lot of letters from pro-gun constituents, then he'll use that information to spin his campaigning and know to be careful not to be too out-front in pushing gun control laws.

Sorry, but that's about the best you can hope for.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That is a VERY good point; and the brief, terse letter has a lot going for it. In fact, I would favor using that one for the intended application.

Sponsored Links