Why does any state honor a MD permit

This is a discussion on Why does any state honor a MD permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be doing some travel this summer and was looking at handgunaw.us at the states I'll be in. I noticed that MD doesn't honor any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why does any state honor a MD permit

I'll be doing some travel this summer and was looking at handgunaw.us at the states I'll be in. I noticed that MD doesn't honor any other states permits, I won't be going to MD but will be very close. I know that FL doesn't honor any state that doesn't honor FL and quite honestly I think that is a good thing. I do see that not many states honor MD including all of the neighboring ones, I just don't see way any would until MD moves out of the dark ages.

Why would any state honor an MD permit? MD does not honor the Constitution; I know it's bad for those in MD that have a permit but I'm betting that most of those permits are held by politicians or high ranking libs. No proof, just my opinion since the most virulent anti's in this country seem to find a way around their own mess. The folks in MD that need a permit will rest in hell first.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Just look at how MD voted in the Presidential elections. While doing so, look at how the surrounding states voted. OK, look at how the entire NE states voted.

Now look at the gun control in those states. They are Democratic, anti gun, anti Constitution and extremely liberal. Democratic states might not want your guns but they do not want you to have any.

My money stays out of any anti gun state.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Mississippi honors all state's permits. I think that's a good law. I do not see a down side to honoring all permits. I think that's the way it should be and would rather hear folks supporting this type of law.
    Pro, MrsHB, Freedom Doc and 2 others like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I think you guys may have misunderstood what I was saying, because it looks like you are agreeing with me. What I was trying to get across was that that I don't understand way any state would honor MD. All states should drop them completely, well actually all of the states up there that are being so idiotic.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My state, NC, recognizes all other permits. It was part of the castle doctrine bill that was passed a couple of years ago. I think it is an attempt to set an example. Yes, there is a distinct correlation between blue states and anti-gun. Interestingly, there are also a growing number of Liberals who are pro-gun as demonstrated by the rise of places like The Liberal Gun Club, though many of are more Libertarian oriented minus the economics. I also believe that at issue is the idea that many D's who would really be don't care in terms of guns fall into the anti camp purely on the basis of opposing the R platform which they see as pro-gun.

It still comes down to one of the biggest and best things we can do to ensure gun rights for all, across the nation, is make gun rights a non partisan issue.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i have mixed feelings. i agree that if they dont honor your state that your state shouldnt honor that state, but i also think that if you can carry in one state you should be able to carry in all others. i live 5 minutes from the MD line in PA. i travel alot into MD when im working. i hate how i cant carry there. my uncle lives in MD and owns his own business and wanted a permit from there to protect himself when transporting money and goods. they basically want you to show proof that you carry X amount of dollars everyday and then prove why you need to carry. i hate their laws regarding this. since getting my permit i stay in PA as much as possible, i will avoid going into MD even though it is closer.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    The reason MD gets their permit honored is the same as CA and NY, some states honor ALL state permits.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    i have mixed feelings. i agree that if they dont honor your state that your state shouldnt honor that state, but i also think that if you can carry in one state you should be able to carry in all others. i live 5 minutes from the MD line in PA. i travel alot into MD when im working. i hate how i cant carry there. my uncle lives in MD and owns his own business and wanted a permit from there to protect himself when transporting money and goods. they basically want you to show proof that you carry X amount of dollars everyday and then prove why you need to carry. i hate their laws regarding this. since getting my permit i stay in PA as much as possible, i will avoid going into MD even though it is closer.
    I agree that carry everywhere would be best, however in the mean time I'm not sure I like the idea of states honoring those states that don't reciprocate. I realize that the pro gun residents of those states get the short end of the stick, but you need to apply pressure however you can.
    Keith44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I think you guys may have misunderstood what I was saying, because it looks like you are agreeing with me. What I was trying to get across was that that I don't understand way any state would honor MD. All states should drop them completely, well actually all of the states up there that are being so idiotic.
    Why? Just because MD decides the constitution doesn't apply to their citizens does not mean all states should take that view. What you are suggesting would only hurt the people of MD, not the state
    latentcarry and Pro like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Heck, if you can get a permit in Maryland, you probably have substantial reason to carry.
    afojc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Mississippi honors all state's permits. I think that's a good law. I do not see a down side to honoring all permits. I think that's the way it should be and would rather hear folks supporting this type of law.
    It should be a universal right to honor a CCW from any state IMO. A civil war was fought over "States Rights" and the right of the Federal Government to trounce on the laws of the individual sates subjectively. Funny that the Government that was willing to spill blood to enforce laws then is allowing the individual states to dictate terms to its citizens when it can't come up with a National code to enforce a Constitutional right.
    In their zeal to make something happen in regards to their inability to pass laws resulting from "knee jerk" reactions to recent incidents, we have come full circle. We are back to the Federal Government allowing states to enact laws that are totally unconstitutional and violate the rights of a segment of our society. The United States "is" has again become The United States "are".

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The 2nd Amendment applies to the whole country -- would you be asking the same question if MD required a permit for free speech?

I'm quite sure that there's a bunch of homosexuals in MD that would demand that other states recognize their marriage licenses, but could care less about your Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms.

VIP Member
    All states should drop them completely, well actually all of the states up there that are being so idiotic.
    To what end?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'll be doing some travel this summer and was looking at handgunaw.us at the states I'll be in. I noticed that MD doesn't honor any other states permits, I won't be going to MD but will be very close. I know that FL doesn't honor any state that doesn't honor FL and quite honestly I think that is a good thing. I do see that not many states honor MD including all of the neighboring ones, I just don't see way any would until MD moves out of the dark ages.
    Don't hold your breath...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links