Carmike Theater in Edinburg TX.

This is a discussion on Carmike Theater in Edinburg TX. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well came to see Iron Man 3 with the missus and the local Carmike theatre was plastered with no ccw signs at all the entrances ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Carmike Theater in Edinburg TX.

Carmike Theater in Edinburg TX.

Well came to see Iron Man 3 with the missus and the local
    Carmike theatre was plastered with no ccw signs at all the entrances and ticket booths. First time I see them at any of the local theatres. Luckily Texas is very specific in wording and letter size requirements for what constitutes a "legal" anti ccw sign and since none of these signs met those requirements I quietly ignored them. Oh they also have, we have the right to inspect bags and purses, signs up. Nobody is enforcing those either. Idiots.

2. Remove Ads

Thats the Theatre I normally go to,In the past they never had any signs,and on weekends they have an armed off duty Hidalgo County Sheriff for Security,I've always carried there in the past,might have to let my money do the talking and go to Tinseltown Theatres in Mission,or they are Opening a new one in Pharr at El Centro Mall
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    It sounds like you two are neighbors. I used to hang out in the valley in my younger days.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

The Carmike in Traverse City, MI had them up last time I was there too. I complied and took my business to their competitor.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    ... Carmike theatre was plastered with no ccw signs at all the entrances and ticket booths.
    That should keep you safe! Don't you know the criminals will see that sign and go elsewhere...?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Marcus theaters up here has been smart so far and not put up signs.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Oh they also have, we have the right to inspect bags and purses, signs up. Nobody is enforcing those either. Idiots.
    They're not looking for guns- they're looking for recording devices. Bootlegging/pirating movies with camcorders in the theater is pretty big business. It happens to be a crime, and one you can face some serious penalties for.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

My daughter went to the movies here at a Carmike. They were checking all the carry in purses. Who knows what for???? Didn't check any pockets or any guys since they usually don't carry purses.

I hope these geniuses realize the Aurora shooter came in the back door and did NOT sneak his weapons in!
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

The concept of posting gun buster signs ANYWHERE in the borderland is mind boggling to me...

Sometimes when i see the 30.06 signs places I get tempted to start carrying a ruler with me to measure the font and see if it's in compliance.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Carmike didn't have any signs here last week.

And no, Carmike does not have the "right" to search handbags; you may "allow" then to in order to gain entrance onto its private property--your call, not theirs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Several places have the no guns signs up. I am sure criminals are going back to the car to leave their gun there:-)

If it is not a legal sign - disregard

I lived in Mission when I was a kid and last year we visited there on a singing concert tour. I was amazed how downtown McAllen looked more like Mexico than America.

Remember the signs have to be in English and Spanish unless they have changed the law.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    The concept of posting gun buster signs ANYWHERE in the borderland is mind boggling to me...

Sometimes when i see the 30.06 signs places I get tempted to start carrying a ruler with me to measure the font and see if it's in compliance.

No need to carry a ruler. Just keep a spare quarter in your pocket. The quarters diameter is .955 of an inch!
    MJB_17 likes this.

Using Texas as a location to launch a corporate "NO CCW" policy is like trying to ban pro football...in Pittsburg. The Texan movie-goers who take it seriously will go elsewhere. And those who don't will laugh loudly & boldly at the thought of being patted-down. I can just see a pimple-faced movie usher firmly insisting that a Texas hard-ass open his jacket & submit.
    That'll be more entertaining than the movie.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Using Texas as a location to launch a corporate "NO CCW" policy is like trying to ban pro football...in Pittsburg. The Texan movie-goers who take it seriously will go elsewhere. And those who don't will laugh loudly & boldly at the thought of being patted-down. I can just see a pimple-faced movie usher firmly insisting that a Texas hard-ass open his jacket & submit.
    That'll be more entertaining than the movie.

That very issue happened to me back when the Texas CHL laws went into effect. I went to Astro World with my family, and when I went through the metal detectors the alarm went off. I was stopped by some 16/17 year old kid who said he had to use a wand on me because of the alarm. I refused, and I pulled my police identification card. He told me quite frankly that it was agaisn the law to carry a firearm into an "amusement park"...I looked at him and said, "Really ? No kidding." I asked for a supervisor and was directed toward another person whose mentality was questionable, too.

He, too, told me that I could not come into the park with a concealed handgun. I questioned him and asked if they had off-duty police officers working security, and he replied "Yes". I said I am an off-duty police officer as well from Houston. I carry a handgun all the time (in those days were were required to carry 24/7). He refused and said, "not here".

It ruined our day, but when I returned to work Monday, I let some people know about the incident. Within fifteen minutes I get a call from the Chief of Police's office...realize this is a department of 5300+ officers, and everyone in the chief's office wanted to know what was happening.
    I explained the contact again. By that afternoon ALL off-duty police permits to work Astdro World were revoked by the police department and the sheriff's department. It hit the news and within hours, there were numerous telephone calls from the owners of Astro World, who were in New York, at the time. The issues was settled within the week and the park had security again by the weekend.
    steadfast and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links