What is considered "concealed" and do I have to in PA

This is a discussion on What is considered "concealed" and do I have to in PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first question is what is the definition of "concealed"...particularly in PA? I often carry using an in the pants holster, in the small of ...

Thread: What is considered "concealed" and do I have to in PA

What is considered "concealed" and do I have to in PA

My first question is what is the definition of "concealed"...particularly in PA?
    I often carry using an in the pants holster, in the small of my back. Sometimes when i bend over or lean down, but shirt will pull up and get caught on the grip of my gun. Technically speaking is that no longer concealed?

Does it even need to be concealed or can I carry it in the open. the "or about one's person" confuses me and I wasn't sure what that really meant. Heres the law from packing.org

(a) Purpose of license.—A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one’s person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    You are going to get lot's of answers but to be sure just call your local Sheriff or PD. Bottom line to me is concealed is just that, sometimes it can't be helped as when bending down quick, etc but just be careful, be aware of what your doing and I don't think you will have any problems.

About one person means around you. Such as concealed in a center console in a vehicle.

Talk to your PD or a CCW instructor in your state. I know in NV and AZ concealed means with the grip covered.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    You are going to get lot's of answers but to be sure just call your local Sheriff or PD. Bottom line to me is concealed is just that, sometimes it can't be helped as when bending down quick, etc but just be careful, be aware of what your doing and I don't think you will have any problems.

Oh definatly, and i doubt i would open carry, even if I am allowed. I guess curiosity is this biggest motivator here.
    Even if Im not allowed to have the grip showing, I really doubt if I bent down at a store to get something off the bottom shelf and a LEO saw that I was carrying he would do anything about it.....other than make sure I have a permit....and alert me that my shirt was pushed up

Administrator
    I always felt that there was a certain amount of pride that goes hand in hand with carrying a firearm. I guess that means (to me) that if my intention is to carry my firearm concealed then it stays concealed without ever flashing it.
    Call it an experienced refinement of the Fine Art of Firearm Carry and part of that would be not ever flashing or over-printing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree w/ Qkshooter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

PA law does not address the notion of open carry so by default it is not illegal in the state of Pennsylvania, however, don't expect the local police to know all of the firearms laws.

Also, do not confuse the meaning of "open carry" and brandishing a firearm however.

The only place in the state of Pennsylvania that it is illegal to open carry is in a "city of the first class", which would be Philadelphia only.

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on the radio.

In Pennsylvania you can open carry, even without a permit. You only need the permit to carry concealed with the exception of Philly where you need it in any case.

In the Pocono area where I am, guns are not unusual and some people do open carry. I open carry depending what I'm doing such as in the woods, etc. I'm a beleiver in concealed carry though so as not to give the goblins any advantage.

I actually experimented with open carry in public one time a few weeks ago just to see what reactions there might be. All day long at Sheetz gas station, the supermarket and Wally World, only 1 person even noticed and that was at the local butcher shop where the guy working the counter liked my gun. No complaints and no hassles.
    I just wanted to try it but back to concealed for me. The main reason I tried it was I wear sweaters and such at this time of year and carry in a OWB holster currently but covered up and was wondering what reactions I might expect should my sweater be raised a little bit inadvertantly.
    I will say that OWB with a decent holster is very comfortable as compared to my el cheapo IWB. The OWB has 2 attachment points vs one for the cheap IWB.
    I'll have to try a good IWB holster, just hate to wait 3 months for anything but I now know there really is a difference in holsters besides pretty looks.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

I wouldn't expect the reaction of your CCW being shown to be the same as it would be for open carry. Open carry looks official to a lot of people. When you are caught revealing your CCW they are seeing something you are trying to cover up and hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    I wouldn't expect the reaction of your CCW being shown to be the same as it would be for open carry. Open carry looks official to a lot of people. When you are caught revealing your CCW they are seeing something you are trying to cover up and hide.
    thats a good point. Never thought of it like that.
    Either way im in no legal trouble if the grip where to be exposed.....which is nice to know...
    I think im gonna get a new holster that tucks my new gun down a little furthor.
    Im used to carrying a S&w 4043.....not the smallest, thats for sure. My new taurus PT145 will be here tomorrow....im sure that will be MUCH easier to keep hidden away

Assistant Administrator
    My thinking is that concealed is concealed - meaning no gun to be seen, tho slight printing is itself hardly likely to be noticed by the average Joe. Even if open carry is not illegal - no permit means no loaded handgun in vehicle.

There is a mention in the laws somewhere to the effect that if carrying concealed on your permit, an infringement would be taken as allowing that gun to be displayed. The interpretation of that however could vary enormously. A glimpse of grips, or base of holster etc however trivial could I imagine, be still taken as an infringement.

This could technically lead to revokation of the permit. Extreme situation I admit but - anyways - best IMO to make concealement a dedicated habit, and choose gear and dress to maintain such.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Definition of concealed: Hidden from common observation. I believe this is what VA uses, and it is pretty basic. So now we need to define common observation. As with so many laws, it is subject to interpretation. I cannot address PA laws.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links