North and South Carolina restaurant carry

This is a discussion on North and South Carolina restaurant carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be travelling through both North and South Carolina in month and a half or so and was wondering if any one knew the status ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: North and South Carolina restaurant carry

I'll be travelling through both North and South Carolina in month and a half or so and was wondering if any one knew the status of the bills introduced in these states that would permit restaurant carry?

Voting on NC's bill right now. I think SC passed the house, waiting on Governor signature?

Thanks very much. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Feel sure it will be (in SC) but it's not yet.....don't know how long it will take to go into affect once it's all signed by the Governor. Been busy with my daughter's wedding this past week so I had not even heard about the house passing it (above post) but that's great. I felt that it would pass but just didn't know it had.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

For NC it will be illegal until at least October 1 of this year I believe. That's the effective date in the bill if I remember correctly.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

The laws will FORCE food establishments to allow open-carry?

That violates private-property rights and the rights of businessman to decide who they will and and will not do business with.

No, the law will ALLOW CWP holders to carry concealed in restaurants that serve alcohol, provided that they are not posted with No Concealed Weapons signs (that must meet the regulations) and per several other stipulations.

As a business owner you can decide to restrict carry into your establishment. This bill will make possible for me to allow folks to carry in my restaurant, which makes me very happy!

Here is the actual legislation:
    2013-2014 Bill 308: Firearms - South Carolina Legislature Online

VIP Member
    NC has made a bit of progress as reported on tonight’s news.

House votes to relax gun laws in NC

State House lawmakers voted late Monday night to allow concealed weapons on college campuses, state property, greenways, bike trails, at sporting events and in businesses that serve alcohol.

Proponents of House Bill 937 says it protects and expands the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens while increasing punishment for those who use guns in the commission of crimes. It also requires more rapid reporting of mental health adjudications to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, in accordance with federal mandates.
    House votes to relax gun laws in NC :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's a hack job of reporting. I'm way behind on 937 but even I know it won't allow CC on campuses or state property. It's only a parking lot provision for those 2 areas. WRAL trying to rile up the antis again?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Just to clarify in NC you can carry in a restaraunt that doesn't serve alcohol. The county where I reside is dry so its kind of a non-issue in some of the dry countys.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Randalls View Post
    The laws will FORCE food establishments to allow open-carry?

That violates private-property rights and the rights of businessman to decide who they will and and will not do business with.
    Where did you even get this idea?
    Last edited by phreddy; May 7th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    From what I can tell, the SC bill has been referred to the House Judiciary committee. It has already passed the Senate. All I can say is keep asking up until your trip. It could get passed quickly in the House or get tied up. I suspect the Governor will sign it quickly once she gets the chance.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    NC HB937 needs to pass the 3rd reading and vote scheduled for today. There we objections and (anti) amendment proposals which were denied by executive order (tabled) without debate or vote.

It passed last night along party lines and should do so again today.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Just to clarify in NC you can carry in a restaraunt that doesn't serve alcohol. The county where I reside is dry so its kind of a non-issue in some of the dry countys.
    I never understood the concept of a "dry" country. Where I lived and worked in NC, a "wet" county, the folks in the dry county next door would load up a car full of passengers and drive over and each buy the maximum amount allowed to purchase by law. Then they'd drive away with the bumper dragging. All it accomplished was more sales tax for my county and less for the dry ones. Go figure.
    BugDude and oldskeetshooter like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I never understood the concept of a "dry" country. Where I lived and worked in NC, a "wet" county, the folks in the dry county next door would load up a car full of passengers and drive over and each buy the maximum amount allowed to purchase by law. Then they'd drive away with the bumper dragging. All it accomplished was more sales tax for my county and less for the dry ones. Go figure.
    Not to inflame/troll/bait/stereotype/whatever the subject but the dry county laws in the Carolinas are a hold over from the heavily Baptist circles (specifically Southern Convention) that are traditionally alcohol-free congregations/communities. A lot of these prohibitions would be considered blue book laws at this point, but there are a few counties that still enforce it for whatever reason. Like you said, makes no economic sense at all.

Back on topic:

Glad to have stumbled upon this as I had lost track of this bill. Would be great to finally be able to carry in a restaurant. Curious to know if anyone has any information on the final amendment that got tabled, referring the tougher penalties for those that drink and carry.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links