Hard to detect plastic handgun ...

This is a discussion on Hard to detect plastic handgun ... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The gun design is supposedly available on the web. The fox article gives a few pictures and a video to watch. The guy only shoots ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hard to detect plastic handgun ...

The gun design is supposedly available on the web. The fox article gives a few pictures and a video to watch. The guy only shoots one round - holds together.

The other site has more information, a forum, discussion.

Will have to look at the legality of this. Given it is made of plastic - I would have to think size - reduced - would be the goal.

Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun | Fox News

or go to

defcad.org

Anyone have insight into this ...
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

More than likely there will be a quick jump to ban such weapons.... While the 3D gun is undetectable the ammunition isn't so while a criminal can get on an airplane with one they most likely would not get any ammunition on........

From the article:
    New York congressman Steve Israel has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns.

In a statement last week he said: "Security checkpoints, background checks, and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser.

"Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban on plastic firearms."

Here is there website:
    http://defdist.org/
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Wonder if Hi Point will pick up the rights to the design...

"undetectable plastic gun" sounds like the Glock story all over again.
    British by birth. American by choice.

My printers always seem to jam. I'd imagine that any gun I printed would also jam. Anybody know if they make a 3D-printable revolver?
    elmacgyver0 likes this.

VIP Member
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    they will probably be banned real fast. cool, but id rather have something more dependable than plastic.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

With the airport body scanners that detect a small piece of cigarette pack cellophane in your pocket and abnormal clothing tags this gun won't make it through security if those imbeciles at the TSA did their jobs right.

An all plastic gun just seems like a dumb idea to me tho since I enjoy living life with functional hands.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    This whole thing is a non-event. Anybody can make a plastic gun without a 3-D printer. Just looking across my desk, I see sufficient materials to do so.
    Sky Pilot, phreddy and pgrass101 like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The article I read stated that the inventor included one metal piece to make sure it was legal. Also, the new TSA scanners look for shapes, they do not detect metal.
    Last edited by phreddy; May 7th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

IMO this is ample evidence that no matter what the gun grabbers want to do folks who want guns will find a way , making a zip gun is easier and much less costly (and likely more safe as well)- just as no gun legislation would have had any impact on the Boston bombings, Tim McVeigh etc. etc. sooner or later they need to "wake up" and realize you can't legislate "away" those intent on becoming famous by taking out a bunch of folks in "gun free zones" by any means they think of
    84160 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    The only plastic that is needed around a gun is a credit card.
    Hopyard and lionround like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    If I remember reading correctly, the gun IS detectable by a metal detector. While the frame, grip and barrel are made of plastic, there is a metal barrel insert for the bullet to travel and the firing pin is metal as well. If I'm not mistaken the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 would make an "all plastic" gun illegal to manufacture.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    How do you ban one of these?

Do you ban 3-D Printers?

Do you ban the information (Files) that prints the gun?

They are not scared that these guns would find their way on airplanes, if they do, so what many pilots are armed! Plus there hasn't been a single forced cockpit breach since 9.11. I really don't think that you will see a passenger plane get hijacked anytime in the near future. Passengers will not let that happen since 9.11. Plane crashing exploding maybe, not hijacked.

What these stupid banners really are worried about is loosing control to their control system of registration in New York!

I think we should just ban New York!
    WHEC724 and 84160 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The gun grabbers are mostly concerned they can't abuse the Commerce Clause to restrict these IMO

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Not to mention that the 3-d printer costs $10,000; it would be much easier and cheaper to just buy a gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links