Do CCW's try spotting other CCW's?

This is a discussion on Do CCW's try spotting other CCW's? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's not polite to stare but knowing what I know now about various concealment areas and methods, I involuntarily find myself scoping out people with ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Do CCW's try spotting other CCW's?

It's not polite to stare but knowing what I know now about various concealment areas and methods, I involuntarily find myself scoping out people with tell tale signs of CCW - Vests? Loose T-shirts? Light jackets when it's warm outside?

And if I spot a guy printing I take notes on what not to do.

In your view, is that wrong? Should we mind our own businesses? And do bad guys scope out for CCW holders in the same way?

Thoughts on the subject!
    redsaber75 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm already fairly well-versed on what not to do. Concealed carry is still rare in Ohio, so I spend very little contemplating it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Oh, there are tons of ccw holders who spend their time trying to spot every bulge and print.

Personally, I'm too busy living life and going about my business. My radar focuses on suspicious behavior, and people who look out of place. If I spot something which goes on my radar, I will likely scrutinize the potential nogoodniks more closely, but I get bored trying to look for people's hidden guns.

But for some people, looking for hidden guns, is almost an obsession. I suppose if I were a police officer working in an urban setting, I may look harder for guns.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do not. I'd say never but I try never to say never.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Can't help but notice belt clips, especially when someone is wearing more than one tactical clothing article. I draw the line though at trying to ID Smartcarry wearers.

And yes, I've learned from watching others, particularly to do so with confidence as about half the time I notice someone carrying it's due to them touching their gun or tugging their shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm already fairly well-versed on what not to do. Concealed carry is still rare in Ohio, so I spend very little contemplating it.
    It gets less rare every time I come to Ohio and Im from Ky LOL. Was just there this past weekend. I know im legal there but didnt realize cc was that rare in Ohio.

As to the OPs question, nah I dont unless somebody does something to catch my attention to the point that Im aware specifically of that person. Then I will try to figure out if they are armed or not. Otherwise I dont just check for it on folks.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    It's not polite to stare but knowing what I know now about various concealment areas and methods, I involuntarily find myself scoping out people with tell tale signs of CCW - Vests? Loose T-shirts? Light jackets when it's warm outside?

And if I spot a guy printing I take notes on what not to do.

In your view, is that wrong? Should we mind our own businesses? And do bad guys scope out for CCW holders in the same way?

Thoughts on the subject!
    is it wrong?? no, just don't announce when you think you've spotted someone. It could be an LEO just getting out of uniform and wanting a quick pit stop to pick up something for supper.

Mind our own business? Yes, to a point. Be alert enough to see trouble coming, be suspicious of those who deserve special attention. (the ones who set off the radar due to actions, dress, or what they say or how they say things.) Otherwise don't try to scope out every person you cross paths with, most are just doing their own thing, and do not intend to harm anyone.

not being a bad guy, or someone who interacts with bad guys on a regular or even an occasional basis I can't say for certain what they do. One interaction I have had with a bad guy who decided I wasn't worth the effort, was for him to walk a half circle around me, glaring at me and sizing me up the entire time. Hee Hee he outweighed me by at least 50 pounds, and was about the same height as I am, but walked away in a huff none the less. This was a couple years before I decided to go for a CCW. I am certain he was unarmed, and equally certain he wanted an easy victim. It seems to me that as long as you project a willingness to resist harm, most criminals will seek out easier victims or softer targets.

Ok lets have it, how wrong is my thinking??

Never had an inkling to know if someone else is carrying........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Some not all by any means BGs will have second thoughts if their would be victim doesnt show the fear they think they will.
    They have normally picked you because they think you are somehow weaker or in a vulnerable position, and lack of fear at times will make them wonder if theres a nasty surprise in store for them even if they cant quite figure out what it may be.

Not armed themselves if a BG does make you as armed he probably will seek out another target unless hes high desperate or hardened felon of some kind and then all bets are likely off.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sometimes I do if I'm bored, mostly just to see if I can spot it. I've yet to see any. My wife spotted a guy one evening in Steak n Shake with an IWB holster at 4:00 but his shirt was tucked inside of it. More OC really, but not super obvious.

Lots of folks are "people watchers" and I think most of us do it occasionally. To me it's all part of SA to be scanning the people around me. The things you mention (eg a jacket in 100 degree weather) can be red flags, especially if that person is acting funny.
    squid86 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Beyond noticing things due to general situational awareness, no. Got better things to do than stare at a bulge in someone's pants.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I attribute it to situational awareness too. I've found that I start scanning for hidden guns once a guy gives me a weird vibe. Either acting funny or dressed inappropriately as some of you have mentioned. The sheepy kind I almost ignore - you know when someone's autopiloting right past you.

Yes, I do I know in our church there are several that carry but I don't know who, so I find myself looking to see if I can spot them.
    In restaurants I keep an eye open for suspicious people. I am not paranoid but cautious.

Yes, I usually look for printing on good looking gals. I guess, if I would admit it, I check out all of them. One time while studying a gal for CCW in a restuarant, I stuck the straw to my drink up my nose. My wife asked if I had started drinking through my nose.
    mrm, wrearick, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links