Automobile carry with valid permit

This is a discussion on Automobile carry with valid permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may be a dumb question, but I've been looking at the laws for states in the south east as I'll be doing some travel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Automobile carry with valid permit

Automobile carry with valid permit

This may be a dumb question, but I've been looking at the laws for states in the south east as I'll be doing some travel this summer and a lot of them aren't really to clear to me.
    Does anyone know of any states in the south east that DO NOT allow me to carry concealed on my person while in my car?

Many Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Since the laws vary by state your best bet is to research the laws of each state you will travel through.

Here is one of the best research sites to start with. Handgunlaw.us
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Unless,i'm not understanding something,that's what the permit allows you to do,(have it on your person,at least in S.C.,anyway)if you are in a state that honor's your state's CCP.I would do what msgt said.

In Georgia, vehicle carry is looked at like just like carrying in your residence. No license needed. Open or concealed is ok. Condition 1 is ok. You're good to go in GA.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida says . . . never mind.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    A little more information on SC. Without a permit, you can have a gun in your console, glove box, or other latched ( does not mean locked) container just not under the driver's seat.

If you have a permit that SC recocognizes, you can carry on your person in the car.

I have checked hangunlaw.us as well as the states websites, however some of them are not exactly spelled out. I do appreciate all of the valid answers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I have checked hangunlaw.us as well as the states websites, however some of them are not exactly spelled out. I do appreciate all of the valid answers.
    Well here in North Carolina the vehicle carry law is so vague I doubt even the state attorney general could give a definitive answer.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the permit allows you to conceal a handgun on your person, what difference would it make if your person were inside or outside of a vehicle? What state issues a permit that doesn't allow that?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ky you can carry open and in the car open view. Concealed in car legal without permit ONLY if it is in a factory installed console or the glove box no where else. Example in factory console no permit legal. Under seat no permit going to jail. With permit any where you want in the car

This may be a dumb question, but I've been looking at the laws for states in the south east as I'll be doing some travel this summer and a lot of them aren't really to clear to me.
    Does anyone know of any states in the south east that DO NOT allow me to carry concealed on my person while in my car?

Many Thanks
    If you don't already have a FL CCW, I'd suggest getting one. It simplifies carrying in other states to a non-issue. FL is quick & easy. All states in the SE will honer a FL permit and you could have it in hand by the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    If you don't already have a FL CCW, I'd suggest getting one. It simplifies carrying in other states to a non-issue. FL is quick & easy. All states in the SE will honer a FL permit and you could have it in hand by the end of the month.
    I do have a FL CCW, but I doubt I could get on by the end of the month or even next month with the current wait times.
    Thanks "msgt/ret" that's exactly why I'm asking this question. On this point the away in FL is fairly clear. I haven't spent as much tie reading the other states laws, but from my limited reading and lack of a as degree they don't seem to be so clear. Add to this (no offense meant) the lack of training in some PD's in this area and I think the whole thing is a bit of a jumble.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    South Carolina will NOT honor a FL state permit that the person issued the permit is not a resident of. It will honor resident Florida Permits only. They will have to match the drivers license. A moot point for the OP but an important distinction for maybe others reading this.

This goes for any "non resident" permits in SC with the exception only of its own. SC issues a non resident permit to anyone who owns property in SC and it does honor that one.

However SC's car transport is very lenient. As has already been addressed. All I can add is that you can also specifically have it in your hotel room or rented house as well without permit. Those are considered your residence.

I do have a FL CCW, but I doubt I could get on by the end of the month or even next month with the current wait times.
    I am sorry, flphotog, and I am probably being dense, but I don't undertstand.
    You do or do not have a valid CWFL?
    If you do, handgunlaw.us will tell you which states honor the FL CWFL.
    Then, the only issue will be to read the summaries on handgunlaw for the states in which you will be traveling, then follow their laws.
    I print out the summary from handgunlaw.us and take it with me when I travel.
    I review it frequently while in a particular state.

I hope this helps.
    Aceoky and Mark IL NM like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Not a problem miklcolt45, it's just like msg/ret said earlier. I know which states I can carry in, but the vehicle carry laws are a bit/very vague in some states. About the only thing that is spelled out is if you have to notify on contact with a LEO or not. Other than that they talk about what you can and can not do if you don't have a valid permit. I guess that leaves it that if you have one ad it doesn't say you can't you are OK. That's fine until you get stopped (not that I'll go out of my way to get stopped of course) by an over eager LEO who doesn't know or in some cases care about the law. Then you have a problem at least until you hopefully can get a supervisor on the scene.
    Last edited by flphotog; May 8th, 2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: selling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links