First Hand Reasons for Carrying at Walmart

This is a discussion on First Hand Reasons for Carrying at Walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all joke about the 'Wally Walk', tonight I saw first hand exactly why you should carry there (and everywhere else). I don't often go ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: First Hand Reasons for Carrying at Walmart

First Hand Reasons for Carrying at Walmart

We all joke about the 'Wally Walk', tonight I saw first hand exactly why you should carry there (and everywhere else). I don't often go to Walmart, kind of like black tar heroin, I feel someone should limit their exposure for long term health reasons. Tonight I had to go to a 'supercenter' for a bulk quantity of eggs (I bake as a hobby, company anniversary is this Friday and I'm making a big cake for the staff), 60 to be exact, and I know Walmart sells them in that packaging. Of course, I was also going to check for ammo (none found FYI) and some Krylon for an experiment I'm doing (more on that in the guns forum). Well, I struck out on all three counts and left. This was the store at US75 and Spring Valley FYI.

As I'm walking out of the store (around 10pm) I hear lots of commotion and see about 150 feet away across the parking lot (by the other entrance/exit) two men struggling in the driveway. I start moving towards that area (I was carrying my M&P9c btw, 12+1 Gold Dot 124+Ps) and suddenly realize that there is a uniformed Dallas police officer struggling with a young black man wearing only basketball shorts. I immediately grab for my phone and dial 911 as well as head towards the struggle, another able bodied man also runs over and starts helping the officer. The criminal is able to knock down both of them, including punching the officer in the face at least once, get a facefull of OC spray at least once and a second spray on his torso, get loose and run off through the gas station and get into a pimped out Lincoln Town Car (blue candy paint, tints, chrome rims) and speed off across the lot and onto the US 75S (main highway into central Dallas) access road. The officer was bloodied but seemingly OK, I asked if he was OK and he said he was then he jumped into his pickup and sped off after them, tons of sirens ensued obviously as well. I don't know if they caught the guy.

Seeing no reason to stick around, I left and went to a second Walmart (still need my things) about 2 miles away (NW Highway). Nothing happened that I saw, I got my items and as I was leaving I heard tons of sirens again. My thought 'hey maybe they caught the thugs'...I came home a little bit ago and load up the DPD active calls site and see that there was a shooting called in roughly 3 blocks from that store at the time I was in the store...I don't know if it is related, but it is certainly possible.

Few things that have come to mind so far:

-Don't expect anything from 911, especially in Dallas, they are useless. I stated 3 times clearly what was happening and where it was, the dispatcher was clueless, after the 3rd time I hung up. DFW residents will recall the news stories just today even about the 911 incompetence, I have encountered it before tonight as well, it is scary how pathetic they are.

-I had on the exactly worst type of footwear to run anywhere, flip flops (it was 88 today). I was too far away most likely even in running shoes to join the fight hand to hand (which is really too bad because I'm a skilled fighter, I have been training and competing in Judo and BJJ for close to 15 years and have been in fights in real life before and done well).

-I did not draw my weapon, I was not in a position to do so. The officer certainly was seriously assaulted, but fortunately the guy wasn't trying to take his gun he was trying to get away. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done had he had or used a gun of his own or the officer's. I would rarely ever say it is OK to fire on a fleeing subject in the open at night but if it is a cop killer I don't care what the repercussions are, if he were shot in the back on church steps I don't think many would care.

-I don't have night sights on any of my CC guns, I'm going to change that ASAP. Had I had to use my weapon tonight I would have been in bad place sight wise with just white dots.

Sorry for the novella, but I feel it is important to share. I don't know if the shooting is connected to the prior assault, but given the proximity it is certainly possible.

2. Remove Ads

When asked about why 'night sights'? My response has usually been because of dark Wally World parking lots...just like you said.
    I should also add that you'll probably only need the front night sight...point shooting...or no sights at all if it's up close and personal.IMHO

Life is full of surprises and tonight you found one...glad you are unscathed.
    Hopefully they caught that dirtbag, if you hear about it on the news, please add to your thread.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing and stay safe.

For information purposes only, I have trijicons and Lasergrips on all of my carry guns.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Im never unarmed at home or out night or day. Know better by the school of hard knocks. Glad it turned out good for you and your safe.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Wally world never fails to entertain.
    Once likes this.

Cool

Yeah no ship Sherlock!!

Tho even if the BG had of shot/killed the Officer I think backshooting the BG would still land you in a world of ship.

I'm considering a new edc weapon. Several LCR's I've seen have built in Lasers and twixt my eyes and my age I think I'd be a fool not to get a mounted Laser. Glad to hear you're A OK.

Nice dirt bike Blake Man.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Walmart seems to be a lot less exciting in my neck of the woods (Little Elm). However, based on everything that happened it sounds like it is a good idea to carry at the Spring Valley and 75 area. Danged Garlandites (I grew up in Garland) and Richardson boys...

Quote Originally Posted by shaverdcfp View Post
    Walmart seems to be a lot less exciting in my neck of the woods (Little Elm). However, based on everything that happened it sounds like it is a good idea to carry at the Spring Valley and 75 area. Danged Garlandites (I grew up in Garland) and Richardson boys...
    Uhh, no. Try Five Points & Vickery Meadows, roughly 1-2 miles to the east of there. The Five Points area is generally considered the most dangerous area of Dallas north of the Trinity and probably #3 overall after Red Bird and Chaucer Place. I have a friend who is a DPD officer, he has told me that they have a standing order in certain areas that a minimum of 4 officers respond to calls in certain neighborhoods. Garland has it's rough spots, but it's mostly either illegals or white trash overflow from Mesquite (meth heads).

Also, I should mention that the initial location where I saw the officer attacked is not exactly the 'hood. The world headquarters of Texas Instruments is quite literally across the street.

VIP Member
    IMO night sights are a must. As for Wally World, it's a daylight/ early evening place, not late night/ early morning place.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You'd be surprised how well a dab of DayGlo-Orange paint on the sights stands out under parking lot lighting.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The flip flops thing is a really good point. Though guerillas have been doing just fine in thonged sandles for years, having a set of shoes you can run in (away or towards) is a very important part of EDC.

Not that I'm a great example of that all the time - especially when I'm riding my bike. I can't imagine trying to defend myself hand-to-hand wearing cleated bike shoes. Well, I can imagine it, but it's not a good picture.
    Taurahe likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverdcfp View Post
    Can you still NOT buy beer in Garland?

All you need is a nice right cross when going to Wally World:

Good thinking on calling 911.... if it had gone worse that may very well have been a life saver. I wont lie regardless of the situation, if I ever see an LEO struggling with anyone, I will assist him in restraining, and I will do it painfully for the BG. As an LEO, I would hope and expect the same. I have no problem getting involved to help and protect a fellow LEO, or anyone who needs it for that matter.
    Keith44, bigpapa and sigmanluke like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Good thinking on calling 911.... if it had gone worse that may very well have been a life saver. I wont lie regardless of the situation, if I ever see an LEO struggling with anyone, I will assist him in restraining, and I will do it painfully for the BG. As an LEO, I would hope and expect the same. I have no problem getting involved to help and protect a fellow LEO, or anyone who needs it for that matter.
    LEO helping LEO I understand. But should average joes jump in on something like that?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links