Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

This is a discussion on Is It Just Me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live alone in a quiet subdivision with low/no crime (yeah, I know...) about 15 miles out of New Orleans (and its MAJOR crime/criminal problems) ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

I live alone in a quiet subdivision with low/no crime (yeah, I know...) about 15 miles out of New Orleans (and its MAJOR crime/criminal problems) surrounded by swamp. So I haven't really given a lot of thought to home carry.

But lately I think I've been reading too many "do you carry at home", "what do you carry at home", "man kills intruder" threads and it got my attention. An example of only crime reported in this parish (county) within 5 miles of my home was a female stop-sign runner who was DUI and holding some drugs. That's it. No violent crime in 2013 or 2012. OK, enough about that.

So I find myself keeping a .357 revolver in a Remora holster. I can lay it down, stick it in a waistband or move it around easily that way. I never felt a need to do this before. Yes, I keep a gun in a bedside holder (just in case .....) but not on or near me until recently. Do others find themselves increasingly having a weapon more close at hand? Am I paranoid?

Is it just me or is the increasingly violent world starting to really be an issue?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Its not just you, things are being brought to our attention must faster and greater with the popularity of the net. It is a personal choice to carry at home, one that I happen to agree with. You just never know, when your safe haven will no longer be safe....
    Aceoky, OD*, Taurahe and 3 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Just for the sake of the argument, according to the most recent news reports, violent crime has been declining dramatically over the past 20 years. So...I think there is a perception of the "increasingly violent world" that may not be founded in the facts. But then again, even though the statistics may indicate a far less violent country, individuals are not statistics, and we will act in accordance with what we perceive to be true.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

We live in an increasingly violent society, where the predator class is growing bolder. It saddens me that I feel the need to carry, for my wife to be armed to safely walk to her car after work. But I also refuse to become a victim, a statistic that people read about in the paper and think how sad it is he was killed for the few dollars he had in his pocket. Until we do something to reverse the moral decline of our country I will be ready to defend myself and my family.

I have my LCP in my pocket 24/7 while its legal to carry. Carrying a gun for protection isn't much good if its not around when it's needed. And if we knew when we would need one, we would most likely be somewhere else to avoid the problem in the first place. So no, it's not just you my friend. Nowadays it's best to be safe than sorry.
    Taurahe and sixgun like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I should give a source for my above comment. Note the following article in part:

Christian Science Monitor, Jan. 20, 2012

The last time the crime rate for serious crime – murder, rape, robbery, assault – fell to these levels, gasoline cost 29 cents a gallon and the average income for a working American was $5,807.

That was 1963.

In the past 20 years, for instance, the murder rate in the United States has dropped by almost half, from 9.8 per 100,000 people in 1991 to 5.0 in 2009. Meanwhile, robberies were down 10 percent in 2010 from the year before and 8 percent in 2009.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Even thou,it wasn't in my neighborhood,a couple of years ago,two ladies,had their door kicked in.This happened during the daytime.Any time,i'm outside or in,mine is close to me.It's like i said in another post,i had mine on,while i was cutting grass,this week.I told a friend of mine once,no one was ever robbed,or,attacked,until they were.
    Being cautious,doesn't mean someone,is just paranoid.

With the pill and meth addicts most places have in abundance (last I checked they move around same as us also) you can't be "too safe" my philosophy is simple enough, better to have and not need than to need and not have, IF something were to happen to my wife (or whatever) and I was not prepared and for no good reason I'd have a major problem living with that. I'd rather carry anytime I legally can and hope to NEVER need it.

No it' s not "just you' far from it

I carry every minute of every day unless I am in a location not allowed to by law. I avoid those locations but due to my business interests there are times when I have to leave my carry in the vehicle and go naked. Recently the security people made me leave my belt with them. That was not a pretty sight as I found myself walking the hall holding my pants up like a "gangsta" and I did not wear cool looking drawers designed for public viewing.
    ws76133 and NONAME762 like this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

I'm thinking about carrying at home as well but my wife and I don't want our young daughter exposed to guns yet. May just IWB my LCP in my pajama pants this week and see how well that works!

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    Is it just me or is the increasingly violent world starting to really be an issue?
    It's certainly not just you, no. Those news reports are real. And there are numerous other incidents that never make it to the news. Threatening others violently is seeming to be the new bloodsport in many places.

What used to be a deterrent to many, now simply isn't sufficient. And with our all-expenses-paid crime "schools" (aka, prisons), recidivist felons are coming out increasingly capable, increasingly violent, and increasingly contemptuous of both our laws and the ability of the average citizen to withstand what they're willing to do.

Some steps and questions to ask yourself:

• Evaluate everywhere you go, everything you do, with respect to its risks.
    • Imagine what could easily happen is any one of the basic crimes you read about in the newspaper were to occur to you.
    • How would you deal with the various situations?
    • What if it happened at night, away from your car, away from others, at home?
    • Is your home basically secured, hardened, to a degree that works for you? Will it buy you sufficient time and flexibility to get through a situation at your home?
    • What if it was a violent, quickly-moving attack on you?
    • What if the assailant(s) used a seemingly-benign entry point to get inside your defenses, ie the very popular "got a smoke?" question?
    • How quickly could you distinguish between a casual, benign situation and one that's got every mark of being an assailant "interviewing" you for your weaknesses? IOW, how good are your people-watching skills, your awareness skills.
    • What is your defensive mindset, if any, and where are the holes in your mindset that'll help you survive a situation?
    • What are you actually capable of doing on your own behalf, to survive such situations?
    • What tools are you prepared to have on your behalf, to survive such situations?
    • What changes in your lifestyle, gear, clothing/shoes, habits, movements, schedules are you prepared to make in order to improve your odds yet retain the lifestyle you want?
    • Are you capable of doing focused training to work through your deficiencies, including force-on-force evaluations of your preparations?

Lots of questions to think through. There are plenty more, beyond this, but this might get you started.

Suggestion on some reading material that might help:

• In The Gravest Extreme, by Ayoob.
    • The Truth About Self-Protection, by Ayoob.
    • The Gift of Fear, by De Becker.
    • The Combat Perspective: The Thinking Man's Guide to Self-Defense, by Suarez.
    AR15VSCoyote and MrsHB like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...what parish do you live in? is yours a gated community?
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    I live alone in a quiet subdivision with low/no crime (yeah, I know...) about 15 miles out of New Orleans (and its MAJOR crime/criminal problems) surrounded by swamp. So I haven't really given a lot of thought to home carry.

But lately I think I've been reading too many "do you carry at home", "what do you carry at home", "man kills intruder" threads and it got my attention. An example of only crime reported in this parish (county) within 5 miles of my home was a female stop-sign runner who was DUI and holding some drugs. That's it. No violent crime in 2013 or 2012. OK, enough about that.

So I find myself keeping a .357 revolver in a Remora holster. I can lay it down, stick it in a waistband or move it around easily that way. I never felt a need to do this before. Yes, I keep a gun in a bedside holder (just in case .....) but not on or near me until recently. Do others find themselves increasingly having a weapon more close at hand? Am I paranoid?

It's not just you. I live in Livingston Parish (a rural, low crime area for those of you non Louisianians), but I work in Baton Rouge. To be more specific I work in 70805, one of the most dangerous zip codes in the nation. I have personally witnessed 2 cars driving down the road in front of my office trading gunfire between them. Violent crime here has exploded since 2005. When this kind of garbage is going on in your area, being on higher alert seems like a natural reaction to me.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't live in a high-crime area, either, but sometimes that's where the criminals choose to go because people are less prepared and/or cautious.

I recently started carrying a gun on me at home. I'm glad I got the Remora holster, since it makes home carry so much easier when I'm in sweat pants or basketball shorts or something casual that doesn't use a belt. Part of the reason was the greater consideration for home invasion, but most of it was because I just had a little girl and didn't want a gun sitting around on the ottoman or table or somewhere out in the open.

Paranoia and preparation are not the same thing. Someone who is prepared plans for the worst. Someone who is paranoid expects it.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I live in the City. Violent crime may be down overall but what there is is moving closer to where I live. I usually don't carry in the house but there is always a gun or two within easy reach.

When I take trash out to the dumpsters in the alley behind the house I always carry, most of the violent muggings and attacks around here occur in alleys. The local youth also enjoy playing "The Knockout Game", a group of them pick someone at random and beat them senseless. A man died after such an attack recently.

I also carry if I am working in my garage which is at the back of my property, off the alley, for the same reason as above.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links