Concealed carry on PA campus

This is a discussion on Concealed carry on PA campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all, My daughter attends a state university here in PA. Up until Monday they had a weapons policy that prohibited firearms every place on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Concealed carry on PA campus

Greetings all,

My daughter attends a state university here in PA. Up until Monday they had a weapons policy that prohibited firearms every place on campus. The policy was revised to allow CC if the student has a current PA LTCF and has been granted an exception to the policy by the campus chief of police for "compelling reasons" (that term has yet to be defined). Further reading of the revision stated that CC in not permitted in academic, administration or residence buildings. Only permitted outside of those buildings. Does anyone know of universities with similar policies? This seems to defeat the purpose of CC on campus in the first place. Gun lockers, similar to those in a court house might be the answer but then everybody would see you using it defeating the true concealment factor. Just curious. By the way this is a very liberal faculty and I'm surprised a revision was even considered in the first place.
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I bet "compelling reasons" means no unless your daughter has at least a restraining order issued against someone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My "best guess" is nothing will be "a compelling enough" reason......... I can see no real benefit to this change either they trust a permitted carrier or they don't this "here but not there" is not only confusing (and likely would be an enforcement nightmare) but seriously dangerous IMO to anyone permitted to carry by disarming in public (or not going armed at all to avoid that) IF anyone really does "get permission" at all (which again I'm doubting unless they're "certain folks")
    ccw9mm and phreddy like this.

So basically, it's like your wife saying "you can have sexy with anyone... Unless they have perfect vision, glasses or are blind..." That eliminates 100% of locations!
    sdprof likes this.

Or like having a drivers license that's only valid on certain roads.
    Aceoky likes this.
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

So , with permission, she can carry on the grounds, but not in the buildings, where if she were under protection, she would most likely be assualted walking to or from her vehicle, where she had to leave her gun because its not allowed in the buildings?
    Sounds like a big load of bull hooey to me. It is a feeble attemp to passify cc'ers while not actually doing much of anything useful in any fashion....
    Aceoky, ccw9mm and sdprof like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Agreed Taurahe. As I said the faculty is very liberal and I know most of them were horrified when the president of the university sent out the initial memo announcing his plan to change the policy. The national Students for Concealed Carry on Campus group was lobbying for the change.
    Security at this school is not good. There have been several room invasions and armed robberies on campus since January. Only 2 perpetrators have been arrested so far (both on the football team I might add).

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    But how can there be armed robberies when there are no guns allowed??????
    Aceoky likes this.

Like the restrictions in many places, it looks like one can CC, but the roadblocks make it difficult if not impossible, to do so in practice.

Like the way some localities prohibit CC on public transport. Sure, you can CC in our city, but you can't get to work, or shopping, or ....
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

she can carry on campus in PA anyways its not illegal...dont ask dont tell..
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    she can carry on campus in PA anyways its not illegal...dont ask dont tell..
    Its not illegal by law but each school sets their own policies. If she gets caught carrying on campus and their school policy says no weapons then she will be dropped from college, do not pass GO do not collect 200 dollars. I am a current PSU student and I actually did an argumentive paper on allowing students to conceal carry on campus this last semester. On PSU property, including parking lots we were not authorized to have a firearm.I hope this is true so iI can at least have it in my car.

When doing research for my paper I did find that some schools allowed this. They had lockers setup to allow students to store their guns while going to class. Then they could get it back when transiting campus. This is at least a start in the right direction.

Tommynoll1991, where did you find this info because I would love to read over it. I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

i know people who carry on campus here in GA even though its against the law...heck over half of the guys on campus are carrying knives over 2 inches and if you arent licensed its a felony but a person with a weapons carry license its only a misdemeanor...
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

The latest info is you can carry on campus with an LTCF as long as you don't enter any buildings. BUT, if you are granted an exemption from the campus police chief you can carry in any buildings, class rooms, dorms etc. I'm advising the kids to take their LTCF, NRA training certificate and transcript with a 3.7 GPA or above to the chief when they apply for the exemption. That might make the chief realize they are very serious about CC on campus, have training and are there to excel in academics.

If it Kutztown University being discussed here, I find the policy a bit hazy on whether carry is prohibited in the buildings, for those who are given the exception to policy by the campus cop.
    See here: http://www.kutztown.edu/admin/AdminS.../A%26F-030.pdf

To me, if I'm granted an exception to a policy that normally prohibits carry in the building, that means I can carry in the buildings.

But it's that "...for compelling reasons related to their personal safety..." clause that sticks in my craw. We ALL have a right to self defense, any time, any place.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

DBS
    This is not uncommon. For instance, I believe my alma mater, Michigan State University, currently allows CC on campus but not in buildings. I now live near Old Dominion University, and they recently banned all CC anywhere on campus.

It used to be the case that the schools could set restrictive policies which in reality meant very little unless you were a student or faculty member, in which case you got supremely screwed if you got caught (expelled or fired).

Now, however, at least in Virginia, college Boards of Directors have learned that if they change their rules from "policies" to "regulations" they actually carry the force of law for all comers. I'm not an attorney and don't understand the details, but I know this is now it works.

Be very careful when planning to enter a college campus--know the rules (or "policies" or "regulations" or whatever the hell) for that particular school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links