1911: Cocked and Unlocked...

This is a discussion on 1911: Cocked and Unlocked... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if anyone carries their 1911 cocked but with the thumb safety off. With the beaver tail safety there and if you kept the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: 1911: Cocked and Unlocked...

1911: Cocked and Unlocked...

Just wondering if anyone carries their 1911 cocked but with the thumb safety off. With the beaver tail safety there and if you kept the trigger on the heavy side, I'm wondering if that's safety enough. I know it's single action and all but asking anyway.

2. Remove Ads

Any single action pistol in condition zero is extremely dangerous. Period.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

A 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked, period. Carry cocked and unlocked, please do it far from other people.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    When I carry my 1911, I carry it cocked and locked. Better safe than sorry.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Emmmm, doesn't that thumb safety have something to do with the hammer not falling and the firing pin not hitting the primer in the event of the hammer falling by some quirk of fate. The Grip safety maybe just has something to do with the trigger pull and not allowing that to happen if its not made. I'm not sure, just can't figure out how anyone could carry a 1911 w/o the thing locked. I get confused like that a lot as I've gotten older. Maybe its because I've seen someone hit with a 45 acp and what it did. I'm afraid of it myself and would never carry it w/o full safe condition.
    bigmacque and Aceoky like this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

I'm looking to venture into the brave world of John Moses Browning. I have zero experience with 1911's but love how they look and their history.

So I'm guessing you just have to practice like crazy to make the thumb safety swipe a natural part of your draw stroke. Was wondering what the minimum you could get away with. Makes sense what everyone's saying.
    357and40 and USM1976 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I'm looking to venture into the brave world of John Moses Browning. I have zero experience with 1911's but love how they look and their history.

So I'm guessing you just have to practice like crazy to make the thumb safety swipe a natural part of your draw stroke. Was wondering what the minimum you could get away with. Makes sense what everyone's saying.

That is exactly right. Practice until it becomes automatic...
    rocky, ccw9mm, Bark'n and 6 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Don't carry it unlocked. The antis don't need the ammo, and we don't need to look bad.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar

I'm not going to tell anyone how to practice and carry their firearm. That's all on you. I will say, though, that thumbing the safety on a 1911 is quick and easy and doesn't take much practice to get used to it.
    accessbob likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

If you go 1911, get some .45 snap caps and dry fire practice. Practice draw, safety off and fire drills until it becomes routine. You should practice with any weapon you intend on carrying and you will be surprised how quick you pick it up.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Just wondering if anyone carries their 1911 cocked but with the thumb safety off. With the beaver tail safety there and if you kept the trigger on the heavy side, I'm wondering if that's safety enough. I know it's single action and all but asking anyway.
    That's freakin' nuts.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Get a 1911 pistol and take it for a spin. They're awfully easy to learn to love. The safety is no big deal with a bit of practice. Once your familiar with the routine you'll have a lot of confidence in the pistol. And you'll enjoy the most delightful trigger you can find on an automatic pistol. There's something to be said for that nice bonus. You'll never look at DAO automatics and their triggers the same way again.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

About two dozen times I'm almost made a similar post but always decided against it. But since someone else did, I'll play devil's advocate. Let's say you have a 1911 with a pretty heavy factory trigger- for the sake of argument let's say it's six or seven pounds. Okay, so you've got the grip safety and the trigger. Now let's say it's a one of the later series with a firing pin block. NOW...in reality, explain to me how this would be more dangerous than a Glock. It also has right around the same trigger pull but no grip safety.

To be clear I'm not advocating cocked and unlocked carry, but I think it's a valid thought experiment. Just what makes a cocked single action gun like a 1911 or BHP less safe to carry with the safety off than a striker fired pistol that's always "cocked" (or at least partially cocked)? Or is the difference just in our head, based on the visuals of the hammer being fully cocked?
    sensei2 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    About two dozen times I'm almost made a similar post but always decided against it. But since someone else did, I'll play devil's advocate. Let's say you have a 1911 with a pretty heavy factory trigger- for the sake of argument let's say it's six or seven pounds. Okay, so you've got the grip safety and the trigger. Now let's say it's a one of the later series with a firing pin block. NOW...in reality, explain to me how this would be more dangerous than a Glock. It also has right around the same trigger pull but no grip safety.

To be clear I'm not advocating cocked and unlocked carry, but I think it's a valid thought experiment. Just what makes a cocked single action gun like a 1911 or BHP less safe to carry with the safety off than a striker fired pistol that's always "cocked" (or at least partially cocked)? Or is the difference just in our head, based on the visuals of the hammer being fully cocked?
    If you get a 1911 with a 7 lb trigger pull, send it back to the manufacturer, someone screwed up royally!
    Tzadik, Ksgunner, Taurahe and 4 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    If you decide to carry a 1911 that way I'll send you my landline & cell phone numbers. Please give me a call if you're planning to be in my area. I want a heads-up so I can be far away from you, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links