Why doesn't the public trust us, Part II -- post S.649 failure in Senate

This is a discussion on Why doesn't the public trust us, Part II -- post S.649 failure in Senate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting question: In the nearly one month since the defeat of the S.649 bill in the U.S. Senate, have you noticed the public at large ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Why doesn't the public trust us, Part II -- post S.649 failure in Senate

Why doesn't the public trust us, Part II -- post S.649 failure in Senate

Interesting question: In the nearly one month since the defeat of the S.649 bill in the U.S. Senate, have you noticed the public at large generally improving their view of "gun" people and guns? What have you experienced, in light of the reduced media coverage, the back-pedaling of congress critters, the change in mood among people you personally know or have had discussions with? Consider pro-gun folks, anti-gun folks, fence-sitters and others you're aware of, on this question.

NOTE: This is sort of a "Part II" version of the thread posed by sideKahr before S.649 got all the heavy play in the media and before its trouncing in the Senate (Why doesn't the public trust us?).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I've noticed a change in the conception of what an 'assault weapon' is. I mean, people who're "pro" banning of automatic weapons have now realized that they were confusing what an assault weapon was, with an automatic weapon.
    Jaggyd33 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

DBS
    People have extremely short attention spans. They tend to get deeply emotionally entangled in the main issue of the day, and then move on as some new issue replaces it. If there is another horrible school shooting next week (God forbid), this theme will play out all over again.
    sparkykb likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think the public (and the media) has been focused on Boston, Cleveland, Gov. Christie's lapband, and that idiot girl in AZ. But fear not, some wack job will be along shortly to complete the circle.
    Spovik, Sister, atctimmy and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Keep in mind that S.649 has not been defeated.... Just amendments to it..... Senator Reid has stated he will be bringing 649 at a later date..... We are by no means out of the woods on so called common sense gun control legislation.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Keep in mind that S.649 has not been defeated.... Just amendments to it..... Senator Reid has stated he will be bringing 649 at a later date..... We are by no means out of the woods on so called common sense gun control legislation.
    Absolutely, on all points. S.649 is still alive. The votes were merely on a handful of mostly anti-gunner amendments to it. The liberty-haters are all still in office and they're getting heat to do something (even if it's pointless and ineffectual). Agreed, that we'll never be able to cease this fight against the destroyers.

The OP question, though, is simple: have we noticed much change in people around us, since the spigot in the media cesspool has largely been turned off?
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I havent noticed a change really, but than again all my friends are pro freedom, so im not really out and about with the riffraff to notice any change in public opinion
    NONAME762 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

to answer the OP question, no. The people I have surrounded myself with are all pro-freedom. I have managed to either cull the leftists from my life, or cause them be mute. I only have a few friends now, but they are real friends that think like I do.

Well the way I see it is... CCW applications are at an all-time high creating a huge backlog. The classes around here fill up quickly every time so there's more people joining the cause. Not to mention guns selling off the walls and a lot are for first-time buyers.

It's similar to the media saying "gun violence is terrible," (as if increasing) when the FBI statistics year by year show the exact opposite. People are buying guns and learning to defend themselves with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    CCW applications are at an all-time high creating a huge backlog. The classes around here fill up quickly every time so there's more people joining the cause. Not to mention guns selling off the walls and a lot are for first-time buyers.

People are buying guns and learning to defend themselves with them.
    I think that's what scares the hell out of the liberty-hater element in our Congress: that millions of more citizens are learning they don't kneed to walk in the mud and be victims; that they have the right and ability to learn the means of defending themselves; that they can do so despite a vindictive, short-sighted, would-be tyrannical few hirelings who would deprive of them of their every right to defend their very lives and the lives of their loved ones.

More power to the People. (Actually, no more power is needed. All that's needed is for the People to recognize they are the ones with the power ... not the destroyers ... and that absolutely no more power should be allowed to be taken by them (by the destroyers, that is).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Judging by the brisk business at my LGSs, I'd say more folks are seeing the light... or more of us are adding to our collections while we can. :)

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    It's just on the back burner.And like oldvet said some idiot will bring it to the forefront again.
    Either that or Big Brother Bloomberg will get on NBC and tell the public how smart he is and knows whats best for you even if he's not the Mayor of your city.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It looks to me like the antis and extreme leftists are engaging in a form of tactical retreat with the intent of coming at this again from a different angle. From the time I spent hanging out in their areas arguing about gun control following the Lanza shooting, I have learned a little bit about their tactics. First and foremost is what they call, "controlling the narrative" which amounts to changing the language and words used to further their objective. As a specific example, we will not see "gun control", but instead we will see "gun safety". The second thing I have learned is that they will ruthlessly use censorship to try to silence those who oppose them. Of course history has shown this to be a common and effective practice of leftist authoritarian regimes. Third, they really do believe that their side is winning and that they are gaining in support, even though I think evidence is to the contrary. To them the NRA is the symbol of everything that they oppose and their hatred of it is immense. They view the NRA as the front of their opposition and see it as representative of conservative middle aged white males and are gleeful of the idea that it is a dying demographic which ultimately means that they will win.

To the far leftist/Progressive/Anti, those who own guns are "gun nuts" and "freaks", who are a danger to society and it is simply a matter of time before you snap and shoot them. They also think that gun owners are moon bat crazy and plans to shoot at black helicopters with delusions of being Jack Bauer single handedly saving society during some fictitious great collapse that will never happen. They believe that the govt and the entirety of the military are on their side. They don't believe that the military is largely conservative and about oaths sworn to uphold the constitution, not Big O's executive orders. They completely fail to understand what is going on around them and their response is one of fear and in turn they attempt to mock that which they fear. They believe that if they can just "pass a safety law" that we will all be disarmed and they will be safe in society. They absolutely do not recognize the difference between criminals and armed citizens and to them the armed citizen is the cause of 30,000 "gun violence" deaths per year.

They really do suffer from mental illness.

I suspect that there has been no change at all. Even in the best of times - and prior to the immediate gratification associated with modern technology and the rapid serial (as opposed to multi-) tasking it requires - we are a society with a short attention span. Between then - the failure of the amendments - and now, each event that the media decides is the latest catastrophe grabs the attention in a mindless way.

Those who would infringe our rights know this and that is why, when a tragedy occurs, they run quickly tcapitalizeze on it before the next headline comes along.

So, no, I think there is no change. I think those who have an agenda aimed at disarmament are simply waiting until the next mentally ill, criminal commits another tragic act, until a new "gun violence" headline emerges, so that they can take advantage of it.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Well the way I see it is... CCW applications are at an all-time high creating a huge backlog. The classes around here fill up quickly every time so there's more people joining the cause. Not to mention guns selling off the walls and a lot are for first-time buyers.

It's similar to the media saying "gun violence is terrible," (as if increasing) when the FBI statistics year by year show the exact opposite. People are buying guns and learning to defend themselves with them.
    I agree 100%. I was always gun neutral if you will. But with all the BS going in the country, and the libtards wanting to take away every liberty, I decided it was time to join the club, and went and got my CCW permit. I carry all the time now. I just can't stand it when people try to tell me how to live my life, or try to deny my freedoms, so now i'm exercising them. And it feels damn good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links