pre-WW2 concealed carry

pre-WW2 concealed carry

This is a discussion on pre-WW2 concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im interested to know what concealed carry was like before the 1950’s. I hear stories where most carry guns were underpowered 38 special or 22 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: pre-WW2 concealed carry

pre-WW2 concealed carry

Im interested to know what concealed carry was like before the 1950’s. I hear stories where most carry guns were underpowered 38 special or 22 cal revolvers. I also hear that guns could be bought at hardware stores. did carry permits even exist?

I assume you mean a 38 special ... and I am curious... if it is underpowered, will you stand in front of one? I would not call it underpowered
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I assume you mean a 38 special ... and I am curious... if it is underpowered, will you stand in front of one? I would not call it underpowered
    yep 38 special

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by condition1blog View Post
    Im interested to know what concealed carry was like before the 1950’s. I hear stories where most carry guns were underpowered 39 special or 22 cal revolvers. I also hear that guns could be bought at hardware stores. did carry permits even exist?
    Concealed carry was illegal in many if not most states, including Texas. Carry permits did not exist in TX.

Yes, guns could be bought at hardware stores. The local gun shop, FFL, is pretty much the product of the 1968\
    Gun Control Act.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't know about the cc part of your question, but guns could be bought in hardware stores, dept stores like sears and through catalogs and shipped to your home.

I saw them sold in Sears and Models department stores in the 60's... I was in a small town on the Washington state coast a few months ago and the ACE hardware store had guns, rifles and ammo available...

Found a real neat website that has ads starting in 1900 for guns... Vintage Ad Browser
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

were semi-auto pistols expensive?

Word: "pre-WWII" would be the 1930's, not "before the 1950’s". You missed a decade there.

VIP Member
    The .38 Long Colt was in use by the military, who complained about it's stopping power. S&W developed the 38 S&W Special as an improvement. The different branches of the military used it before WWI until the early to mid 90's.

Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 it was common to find long guns and hand guns in hardware and department stores. Sears was one of the leading sellers of guns. Many businesses quite selling them because of the paperwork nightmare it became. Guns could also be ordered through their catalog sales. The GCA ended the mail order for all intent and purpose.

As for cost of guns, semi's or revolvers. You could buy a handgun for $20 or 30. But then that was also a weeks + wages in many cases.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    CC permit systems were pretty much brought about during the 1980's from what I understand. I first got my Indiana CC permit in 1988, and I know Indiana was among the first states to start the system. I also got a Utah non-resident permit a couple of years ago, just so I could CC in Ohio mainly, because our son and his wife live there and Ohio does not recognize Indiana's permit. I was amazed at how many municipalities made the carry of a hand gun illegal as far back as the late 1800's.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Taurahe. I hate that statement because it proves nothing. Will you stand in front of a pellet gun pointed at your eye socket? No. Of course you would not.

I would not stand in front of somebody firing ball bearings at me from a slingshot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Taurahe. I hate that statement because it proves nothing. Will you stand in front of a pellet gun pointed at your eye socket? No. Of course you would not.

I would not stand in front of somebody firing ball bearings at me from a slingshot.
    what I really meant by that was the prevalence or lack of hollow point +p+ ammo.

Compared with a typical high-powered rifle the .38 Special is underpowered. As a handgun cartridge it's fully adequate unless one deliberately hampers it with watered-down loads.

Potent .38 Special factory loadings existed as far back as 83 years ago. The .38-44 offered more pizzazz than current +P loadings and despite the ".38-44" terminology was nothing more than an ammunition variant of the .38 Special.

http://www.38-44heavyduty.com/

Even before World War II, Smith & Wesson advertised that their medium sized K-Frame .38 Special revolvers could accept the powerful .38-44 cartridge.

So did Colt in the 1930s, even recommending .38-44 for their D-Frame revolvers which included the Police Positive Special and Detective Special models. The D-Frame Colt is slightly smaller than the Smith & Wesson K-Frame revolver.

A vintage holster site
    Shoulder Holsters - vintagegunleather.com - California

Aceoky, Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The .38 Special has never been underpowered. It has its limitations, just as any other caliber does, but has always been an effective round. Many people are discovering what's old is new again.
    Yetiman and fredg53 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The only one I can think of is the Walther PP series which was made famous by the James Bond Character (PPK) But it has been in use since the 1930's.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links