Mayor busted for carrying on college campus and church - Page 2

Mayor busted for carrying on college campus and church

This is a discussion on Mayor busted for carrying on college campus and church within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can see this situation from two positions, on the one hand, from a constitutional viewpoint we should be able to carry in any venue.... ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mayor busted for carrying on college campus and church

I can see this situation from two positions, on the one hand, from a constitutional viewpoint we should be able to carry in any venue.... unless you are visiting an inmate in jail or a courtroom. On the other hand we should obey the law, (if a law is unjust or unwise we should work to change it).

I'm glad that in Missouri, while these venues are stated as prohibited they are none-the-less not criminal offenses but would amount to a non-criminal fine. The only time CCW would be criminal is on a public bus or where federal law provides for criminal charges.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I can't really blame him for breaking a unconstitutional law that infringes on peoples rights to keep and bear arms...

Although he is most likely a hypocrite who thinks he is special and can carry while others can't...
    Heh. Probably. And I agree very strongly with the top part.

if his weapon was truelly conceled then who would have known???? He either didn't properly conceal his weapon or told someone he was carrying,, either way it was a very poor move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    The only time CCW would be criminal is on a public bus or where federal law provides for criminal charges.

WTH?! On a public bus?!

I'm saying this for about the 100th time... We like to tout how we've had so many states enact "shall issue" (non-discretionary) CCW laws, but it is clear that in many states (not just a few, but many) we compromised the utility right the heck out of the licenses.

So, in MO, a person who wants to carry on his daily errands about town, but who relies on public transportation for whatever reason, is SOL, and carrying for him would be a crime?! That's absurd. Yet another example of how our supposedly wonderful CCW laws are really in a bad way in some states.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    WTH?! On a public bus?!

I'm saying this for about the 100th time... We like to tout how we've had so many states enact "shall issue" (non-discretionary) CCW laws, but it is clear that in many states (not just a few, but many) we compromised the utility right the heck out of the licenses.

So, in MO, a person who wants to carry on his daily errands about town, but who relies on public transportation for whatever reason, is SOL, and carrying for him would be a crime?! That's absurd. Yet another example of how our supposedly wonderful CCW laws are really in a bad way in some states.
    Doesn't make sense to me either. But this "public bus law" is an old law with lots of history. It just has not been repealed yet in Missouri. The good news (aside from this stupid law) is that CCW even in prohibited places (except Federal) is NOT a crime but could result in a fine (non-criminal slap on the wrist). I think that this makes bites alot less than making prohibited places criminal offenses or even felonies.... I am thankful for this here in Missouri... And we are working to make it even better over time...
    KJ

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Fine, it's not a crime, just a monetary inconvenience... BUT... do you lose your CCW permit over it? What about if you have infractions numerous times?

He broke the law so he needs to face the consequences.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Fine, it's not a crime, just a monetary inconvenience... BUT... do you lose your CCW permit over it? What about if you have infractions numerous times?

If you CCW where prohibited you will be denied access to the premises or may be removed from premises. If a police officer is summoned the following could happen:
    1st offense, you can be fined up to $100.00.
    If within 6 months, 2nd offense, you can be fined up to $200.00 and CCW can be suspended for a period of one year.
    If within one year (of the 1st offense), 3rd offense, you may be fined up to $500.00 and have your CCW revoked, not eligible to reapply for new CCW for 3 years.

Apparently, if you have a 1st offense it times out after 6 months and 2nd offense after a year, bringing you back to a clean slate.

The law clearly states the maximum that could happen, not what will, in all cases, happen.
    Last edited by Kankujoe; November 16th, 2006 at 03:34 AM.
    KJ

It's never been reported whether Mayor Melton actually HAS a CCW permit, or if he was using his "authority" to carry. Mississippi seals its CCW list to the public and the mayor has never publically stated, at least to my knowledge, that he actually has the right to carry concealed.

So if he didn't have a permit...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its all local politics , and the prosicutor only plead it out because he couldnt look foreward to a successfull prosicution , Likely he took a look and desided he did not want to chance a hung jury ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

You're probably right RR.

African-american mayor in a predominent A-A city with a A-A female DA. I don't think she ever would have gotten a guilty verdict on the felony.

Most importantly, saves the taxpayers a ton of money, the mayor can get back to work and the city can get back to business.

Fair deal? That will be debateable for some time. However, the mayor is trying to clean up Jackson, although a little overzealous. At the very least, he got an education in local politics and public opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links