License Check while CCing on a Motorcycle

This is a discussion on License Check while CCing on a Motorcycle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friday I the day off to go riding. I was carrying my S&W PC1911 in a DM Hubbard OWB Bodyguard and wearing a vest. Two ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: License Check while CCing on a Motorcycle

License Check while CCing on a Motorcycle

Friday I the day off to go riding. I was carrying my S&W PC1911 in a DM Hubbard OWB Bodyguard and wearing a vest. Two blocks from the house, I ran into a License Checkpoint (NC's way of of finding undocumented residents) manned by 2 town police officers.

I came to a stop, put the bike in neutral, and informed them that I had a CCW and that I was armed (required in NC). The older officer asked me for license & proof of insurance. The younger officer asked me where my weapon was and to keep my hands on the handlebars. I did as instructed & told him "4 o'clock, under the vest". He moved to my right side, placed his hand on his glock & informed me that he was going to disarm me (the older officer just crossed his arms and watched). I cautioned the young officer that the gun was in condition 1...he told me to keep quiet & that he knew what he was doing. After he took my PC1911, he made several comments about how "purdy" my gun was, but if I knew more about guns, I would own a Glock. He then removed the magazine and tried, unsuccessfully, several times to eject the chambered round. The older officer didn't say a word while he was smiling at the young officer fighting with my 1911 trying to get the slide open.

After several more fruitless tries, I finally told him how to disengage the ambi thumb safety & about the grip safety. At this point, the older officer was having a hard time trying to hold in his laughter.

After all of the paper checks, the embarrassed officer asked if he could look in my saddlebags. Although I had nothing in them besides a rainsuit, I told him "No, I do not consent to a search of any kind." He then had me pull off to the side of the road & shut off my engine. He then went into the "what are you trying to hide?" routine. I just took out my cellphone and as I started to call, he got sarcastic asking me if I was calling my lawyer. I placed my call & calmly explained what was happening, then handed the phone to the young officer.

After he hung up, he returned my weapon to me and told me: "Have a nice day." I don't know what was said on the phone. I guess I'll have to wait until tonight...when I have dinner with the Chief of Police.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

2. Remove Ads

Props to you for standing up for your rights in a respectable manner. As a fellow NCer, I'm curious as to what county this occurred in.

Did you call your lawyer or the CoP?
    perfection and fredg53 like this.

Apparently he called the Chief,I would have told him unless he had a reason to detain me I'll be on my way since I was only stopped for a valid license check and you received what u asked for,if we go any further u will hear from my lawyer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm curious as to who you would have called ifyou didn't know the chief. The older officer should have stopped the younger officer (I know I would have) from acting like a fool as many younger officers tend to do much of the time just like many civilians.
    Bad Bob, Keith44 and GhostMaker like this.

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?
    perfection likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Props to you for standing up for your rights in a respectable manner. As a fellow NCer, I'm curious as to what county this occurred in.

I am too. This behavior justifies an official complaint at the least. I had a problem with it when you notified him of having a lawfully concealed weapon that he immediately grabbed for his own.
    Keith44 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good for you for just saying, "No."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I agree.It was a license check.Not a saddle bag check.

I cant stand that mess. Im in Pineville and the LE here seem to be upset that people carry side arms. Its like there the only ones allowed to be armed 'protected', like I would depend on anyone but myself to protect the lives of me and mine.They of all people should know what kinda nut jobs are out running loose.
    Aceoky likes this.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
    In GOD, and GLOCK I TRUST.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

I'm glad we do not have to notify, in Georgia.
    Taurahe likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I had a young man pull out in front of me and my Big Dodge Diesel the other day and I clobbered him.
    When the LEO showed up I handed him my Drivers License & CHL at the same time.
    He spread them to see what the back card was (CHL) then handed it back to me without even a change in expression.
    He never even made any comments or indicated that it mattered to him.

As I was trying to exchange Driver Info with the Young Man his Mommy shows up and goes off on me about it being my fault because I hit him with my truck. Yea, but he pulled out in front of me lady! She refused to exchange the Required legal informatin.
    I backed off and went over to the Officer sitting in his car and told him about her attitude and that she was ticking me off.
    He said, I'll get the information for you and explain the LAW to her.

And he did!
    No mention ever about how, or where I was armed.
    I had a 45 tucked between the front seats and a LC9 in my front pocket.

Fort Worth Texas Cops BTY!

I carry a lefty handgun when riding my Motorcycle. The holster is a Side Gaurd SOB, Left cant, palm out.
    The hoilster is fitted for my Laser Equipped Sigma 40.
    I figure if I need to pull it I can keep my throttle open and draw lefty.
    Since I'm left hand dominant, it isn't a problem.
    Snub44, Bad Bob and Keith44 like this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    As a retired LEO I hate to hear things like this! This paints a bad picture of the 99.9% of the LEO's who work hard and put their lives on the line for the community they serve.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I hate it when people touch my stuff and I would have been extremely annoyed at the young officer trying to force the slide open (even though I'm sure it was doing no harm to it).
    Keith44 likes this.

...that is GOLDEN...that young man will tell his grandkids the story of when he found out he wasn't so cool after all...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Friday I the day off to go riding. I was carrying my S&W PC1911 in a DM Hubbard OWB Bodyguard and wearing a vest. Two blocks from the house, I ran into a License Checkpoint (NC's way of of finding undocumented residents) manned by 2 town police officers.

I came to a stop, put the bike in neutral, and informed them that I had a CCW and that I was armed (required in NC). The older officer asked me for license & proof of insurance. The younger officer asked me where my weapon was and to keep my hands on the handlebars. I did as instructed & told him "4 o'clock, under the vest". He moved to my right side, placed his hand on his glock & informed me that he was going to disarm me (the older officer just crossed his arms and watched). I cautioned the young officer that the gun was in condition 1...he told me to keep quiet & that he knew what he was doing. After he took my PC1911, he made several comments about how "purdy" my gun was, but if I knew more about guns, I would own a Glock. He then removed the magazine and tried, unsuccessfully, several times to eject the chambered round. The older officer didn't say a word while he was smiling at the young officer fighting with my 1911 trying to get the slide open.

After several more fruitless tries, I finally told him how to disengage the ambi thumb safety & about the grip safety. At this point, the older officer was having a hard time trying to hold in his laughter.

After all of the paper checks, the embarrassed officer asked if he could look in my saddlebags. Although I had nothing in them besides a rainsuit, I told him "No, I do not consent to a search of any kind." He then had me pull off to the side of the road & shut off my engine. He then went into the "what are you trying to hide?" routine. I just took out my cellphone and as I started to call, he got sarcastic asking me if I was calling my lawyer. I placed my call & calmly explained what was happening, then handed the phone to the young officer.

After he hung up, he returned my weapon to me and told me: "Have a nice day." I don't know what was said on the phone. I guess I'll have to wait until tonight...when I have dinner with the Chief of Police.
    Keith44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    As a retired LEO I hate to hear things like this! This paints a bad picture of the 99.9% of the LEO's who work hard and put their lives on the line for the community they serve.
    ...the rookie learned some stuff that day...'bout guns AND men...
    Keith44 and shadowwalker like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links