Concealed Carry Permit Processing Times - With Poll

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Permit Processing Times - With Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I've had my WA permit for quite some time, but recently decided to branch out more and get my OR and AZ permit to ...

View Poll Results: How long to get your CC permit?

Voters
401. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome, under 1 month

166 41.40%
  • Meh, Between 1 and 3 months

167 41.65%
  • Argh, Between 3 and 6 months

45 11.22%
  • Aaah, Between 6 months and a year

17 4.24%
  • Holy Hell! Over a year

6 1.50%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Permit Processing Times - With Poll

Concealed Carry Permit Processing Times - With Poll

So, I've had my WA permit for quite some time, but recently decided to branch out more and get my OR and AZ permit to better cover me while traveling. I pretty much just used HandgunLaw.us to see which permits I could get that would cover me the best without spending a fortune.

Anyway, I was just thinking about wait times and figured I'd start a little poll about how long you had to wait for yours. Would also like to discuss which states are having the longest wait times and which are the quickest.

When I got my WA permit, it was simple and I had it 3 weeks time. We don't need a class to qualify, just go in for fingerprints and fill out the paperwork.

When I applied for my OR permit a couple months ago, they sent me an appointment date for August, which at the time was 6 months away. This is after taking the required class, writing the necessary letter explaining my reasons for needing to concealed carry, and sending in my paperwork. I will still need to be fingerprinted and background checked to get the permit, so I may get it by Christmas.

Shortly after that I took the class for the AZ permit, requested the paperwork, got my fingerprints done locally and then sent it all in. This was about 2 weeks ago, so I guess I'm just waiting to get the permit.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A pointless poll. Every state is different depending on how permits are issued. It is what it is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, thanks for your opinion, but I'm just curious what wait times are like around the country. I've seen several different discussions specific to individual states, just kinda wanted to discuss it as a whole. This isn't meant to be a scientific study to determine how long someone else's wait time will be.
    ex95B10 likes this.

I didnt think it a big deal just open carry. That was until everything went downhill. Took my class end of Feb. scheduled for July 10 to see sheriff for prints and to start Backgrounds.
    This is crazy. doesnt help I live in Mecklenburg County!!
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
    In GOD, and GLOCK I TRUST.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Here's how the process is going for me here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts (I voted 3 to 6 months, could argue 6 months to a year based on when clock started):

- Called to apply on 1/21 (here you have to go in to meet your local Chief of Police)
    - Given an appointment date of 4/28, just to apply!
    - Applied with fingerprints, pic, etc. on 4/28
    - I was told to expect a 3 month wait, so assume 7/28

And in MA, you cannot legally own ANYTHING until you have the license. No guns, no ammo, nada. I can't even shoot at a range unless I'm a guest of someone with a license. Oh, and getting an LTC here (our version of CCP) doesn't even guarantee you can carry outside of your home. It is up to the local PD/licensing officer to put "Restrictions" on your license such as Target, Sporting, Hunting, etc. Luckily my town is "green", meaning I won't have any restrictions.

Sorry to derail the thread, but if you start the clock when I first called, it's 6 months to a year. If you start it when I applied, then 3-6 months.

You're going to love this! I recently filed for my CCW permit renewal, the Clerk of the Court said it was taking the full 45 days. So, I thought I'd just sit back and wait.

Six, thats right Six days later (drop of at courthouse to my mailbox) the new permit shows up.

You got to love rural counties in Virginia.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

SD - temporary permit back from the sheriff in under a week, printed card from the state usually in 2-3 weeks. State law requires it be in your hands within 30 days.

AZ - my nonresident permit was in my hands 2 weeks after mailing, back in October. I've seen reports of it taking over 30 days lately.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Pro
    NH non-resident permit took about 30-35 days from time I mailed it until I had the permit in hand (earlier this year). I can't comment on Mass, as my last LTC renewal was over 5 years ago. Think it took about 3 months. I plan to do my paperwork 4-5 months ahead of expiration early next year.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

About 7 days to renew this time. I was told a routine BGC had to be done even tho I've had my CC close to 30 years. That's why it took 7 days. $32 for 5 years.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I voted "Less Than 1 Month" because there is no option for '10 Minutes Or Less'.

I LOVE Alabama!

Edited To Add: We don't have to show proof of training, either.
    alafan likes this.

State of Iowa shall issue. Walk into sheriffs office, give proof of taking cc class, give them 50 bucks for 5 yrs, fill out form while they run you through system, return form, get piccy taken, 5 minutes later out the door. Same day, takes 5-10 minutes.

NH - 2 week maximum shall issue. You can sue if it takes longer.

Original application took less than 30 days, each renewal took about 2 weeks. Missouri is friendly.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Ohio in my county was just over 3 weeks. I have heard other counties take the full 45 days

My permit was issued in 1791 and immediately took effect when I turned 16
    BenGoodLuck and pittypat21 like this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links