The waiting game begins...

This is a discussion on The waiting game begins... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just dropped off my paperwork at the sheriff's office. She said that she was a bit behind, but that I could expect it to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The waiting game begins...

The waiting game begins...

Just dropped off my paperwork at the sheriff's office. She said that she was a bit behind, but that I could expect it to be ready within a week or so.
    Funny, just the thought of having it has changed my mindset and I haven't even strapped on for the Wally World walk yet.
    I have done all the "homework", feel comfortable with my pistol, and yet, I am still a bit nervous and excited about having this option available to me.
    A right, a duty, a responsibility... All these and more.
    I know you EDC guys say that it gets to be "normal" after a while, but I just can't see that far yet.
    Well, here it is....The waiting game.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Congrats on making the step and be thankful that it should only take a week. Many of us have had to wait months.

It's true that you get more comfortable with carrying after a while, and that, eventually, if you ever have to leave the house without your "partner", you'll feel naked.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Welcome to the forum and welcome to carrying. You will become more comfortable as time goes on. "A right, a duty, a responsibility", you have a good start.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Good opportunity for reviewing all of the statutes related to arms and the use of force in your state. Think through all of the basic situations you can imagine yourself getting into, while going about your business. Get it straight, in your head, how you believe you'd react to a situation that was brewing, one that was getting decidedly uncomfortable, one that blew sideways, whether you'd aid others, how you'd handle a home invasion, etc.

If you're able, carry around inside your home and on your property for the duration, to get you comfortable with the effort of gearing up, concealing, avoiding fidgeting, etc. Am assuming you've got a first-rate "gun" belt and decent holster that works for your clothing, mode of carry and lifestyle.

Congratulations on the CHL submission. Hopefully it'll all come back "roses."

If you're new to carrying and haven't done so already, pick up a copy of the Ayoob book, In The Gravest Extreme.

Welcome to DefensiveCarry, by the way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

Thanks, y'all.
    @ccw9mm - I just ordered a Foxx Hybrid holster. Heard a lot of good things about them. My carry pistol, for now anyway, is a full size Baretta PX4 9mm.
    I'm a big dude, 6'5 300lbs, so I don't see any issues concealing the full size.
    We'll see which one arrives first, the CHL or the holster...
    Thanks again. I'll keep you guys updated on the arrival of both.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhisatva View Post
    Just dropped off my paperwork at the sheriff's office. She said that she was a bit behind, but that I could expect it to be ready within a week or so.
    Funny, just the thought of having it has changed my mindset and I haven't even strapped on for the Wally World walk yet.
    I have done all the "homework", feel comfortable with my pistol, and yet, I am still a bit nervous and excited about having this option available to me.
    I know you EDC guys say that it gets to be "normal" after a while, but I just can't see that far yet.
    Interesting that you posted this today. I was just about to start a thread about the "carry mindset" and saw this. I submitted my paperwork just over a month ago. Here in NE they are authorized 45 days and have been taking every bit of it lately, so I've got a few weeks to go. I have a crossbreed IWB holster on order, but I've learned from the board that I won't see that for probably another month. Went out this weekend to look for other IWB holsters that may work and picked up a Tagua at the LGS, a Bianchi from Cabela's and a cheapo nylon thing from the sale bucket at Cabela's.

I tried one out yesterday while doing yard work, thinking that cutting the grass and edging while carrying should be a decent test of comfort and stability. I strapped on the holster and grabbed my Kahr from the safe. It was unloaded from it's last range trip/cleaning so I just stuck it in there and went about my business since the purpose of carrying around the yard was to test fit and comfort, not SD. That said, the fact that the gun was unloaded really started to bug me, to the point where I almost stopped what I was doing just to go fill a magazine. I ended up not doing that, but was painfully cognizant of the fact that I was carrying an unloaded weapon and I didn't care for it at all. It really was a different mindset. Nothing was different in my neighborhood from the last time I cut the grass, but I had a much different mindset and outlook.

I have to think that's probably a good thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhisatva View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Just remember, the right, the duty and the responsibility is to yourself and family, not the rest of the world. Everyone is responsible for themselves and shouldn't rely on others to do shoulder their responsibilities.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Congrats on making the step and be thankful that it should only take a week. Many of us have had to wait months.

It's true that you get more comfortable with carrying after a while, and that, eventually, if you ever have to leave the house without your "partner", you'll feel naked.
    +1

The first time I carried after getting my CCW was an odd experience, though it's become much more natural for me. If you have the time, I'd recommend finding a local place that offers some defense classes- they can teach you quite a bit how to react in any situation that you may face.

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. And congrats on the application. If it only takes a week, that is really great compared to what it use to take!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Congratulations and welcome. Yes it is a right, a duty, and a responsibility. When I applied for mine, the waiting period for Ky was 90 days (for background checks and training verification). As has been said, practice around the house and yard carrying (if legal where you are). There are many times I forget I am carrying, it has just become as normal as wearing a belt.

Yeah the first few times I felt like everyone knew I had a gun on me. Like everyone could see it and knew it was there. Now it's on from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I notice when I don't have it, not when I do. As already mentioned make sure you get quality equipment that you don't have to fidget with. You don't know how often you do different movements in a day until you carry with a holster that causes the gun to move and require readjustment.

If you don't know the drill, get ready to hurry up and Wait.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

You'll probably get yours before I get mine :( 75 days and counting here in the great commonwealth of Kentucky.

Oklahoma SDA (concealed or open carry permit)

Class on 2-16
    Sheriff office 2-18
    OSBI 2-28
    Check on OSBI 4-24 (56 days) on the website it says 60 days if there are no exceptions.
    Recieved on 5-10

Took 72 days, was issued on 5-8 so 70 days and two mail transit time,

I still have not decided on open or concealed I have holsters for both and both have advantages and disadvantages.
    I still have not carried but probably will in the next couple of days.

I can not take to work, Federal Enclave, can not even leave in car. So the 23 mile trip in the morning and evening is no carry.

Talked to security at work and obtained advice from them, I want to thank everyone here for all the information I have obtained through reading posts. I am so confused yet know a bunch more than before I started the process. From 1st firing of handgun to licensed to carry in just a little over 5 months. I know I need more training, more practice, hopefully I can find the people to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links