going to florida

going to florida

This is a discussion on going to florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey gang, newb here. first post, great site have referred to this forum a few times....i have a question. i live in southern california and ...

Thread: going to florida

Exclamation going to florida

hey gang, newb here. first post, great site have referred to this forum a few times....i have a question. i live in southern california and have a ccw. i will be traveling to florida this summer. i know fl does not accept ca permits. is there any way i will be able to carry my trusted friend with me when going to florida? i think i read somewhere that fl will not accept another states permit IF it is a non resident permit of the state they honor. meaning if i were to have a utah permit and if florida were to honor a permit from utah, they would not honor it bcuz i would have a utah non resident permit? is this true? if so what creative choices do i have in order to carry legally in florida? thanks in advance!!

This is true. Basically you are SOL. I say you move away from California. The best you can do is you can have your gun loaded and ready to go in the glove compartment or center console. Thats about it. Welcome to the forum btw.

thanks for the welcome ! thanks for the reply. would i have the choice to apply for a non resident florida permit? seems to my understanding perhaps that is the only way. i do believe they give non res permits.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull62 View Post
    thanks for the welcome ! thanks for the reply. would i have the choice to apply for a non resident florida permit? seems to my understanding perhaps that is the only way. i do believe they give non res permits.

You can do this but there is a backlog wait of about three or four months I think
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

.XX

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Thanks for th Florida CCW Site. I spend part of the Winter there and this will come in handy.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yes, OP, your only option to carry a ccw is to apply for a FL permit, but it will take at least 90 days. You can, however, have a loaded concealed firearm in a private vehicle provided it is "securely encased" and not physically "on your person." You can have it in a closed glove box, a closed console compartment, a zipped case, a snapped holster, or nearly anything else that requires you to open someting to access the gun. It does not have to be "locked" or unloaded. That applies only for vehicle carry and would do you no good outside of the vehicle.

Please see Fl Statute 790.001 (17) for definitions of "securely encased" and 790.25 (5) for specifics on carrying in a private vehicle without a permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, OP, your only option to carry a ccw is to apply for a FL permit, but it will take at least 90 days. You can, however, have a loaded concealed firearm in a private vehicle provided it is "securely encased" and not physically "on your person." You can have it in a closed glove box, a closed console compartment, a zipped case, a snapped holster, or nearly anything else that requires you to open someting to access the gun. It does not have to be "locked" or unloaded. That applies only for vehicle carry and would do you no good outside of the vehicle.

Please see Fl Statute 790.001 (17) for definitions of "securely encased" and 790.25 (5) for specifics on carrying in a private vehicle without a permit.
    I seen that earlier. So now that i might be able to pull this off seeing as how it might be possible to carry atleast in the car. Now the bigger question is if i take it with me as either checked in luggage or whatever it takes to comply with tsa rules. Will i get arrested at the airport for recovering my weapon. Gess i need to look into all this. Perhaps mail it too myself??? Really appreciate all the help :)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "Will i get arrested at the airport for recovering my weapon. Gess i need to look into all this. Perhaps mail it too myself??? Really appreciate all the help :) "

Anywhere but CA the answer is no, but CA seems to have its own rules for everything. Print a copy of TSA and airline rules for transporting a firearm in luggage and have on hand for the employee who doesn't know the rules.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links