The virtues of a heavy wallet

This is a discussion on The virtues of a heavy wallet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had a uneventful but annoyingly simple mishap today. Changed my shorts before going hiking with a friend at Great Falls National Park. As ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The virtues of a heavy wallet

The virtues of a heavy wallet

So I had a uneventful but annoyingly simple mishap today.

Changed my shorts before going hiking with a friend at Great Falls National Park. As I was on the trail with my s&w on my belt I realized that my wallet with drivers license and carry permit were not in my pocket but in my other shorts half an hour away

Fortunately VA is an oc state and I was carrying owb so I just stuffed my shirt behind my holster and carried on enjoying the hike (and drove carefully on the way back ) but I was definitely nervous for a minute and a bit embarrassed by the mistake. In my defense I did just replace the wallet that I've been using for the last ~11 years to one significantly lighter and less noticeable in my pocket...

Anybody else ever forgotten their permit/wallet a long way from home while carrying, experienced a moment of concern/terror, and had to disarm, oc, etc?
    I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory;
    Psalm 44:6-8
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
    Matthew 5:9

2. Remove Ads

Yup. Left my wallet at the house once. Luckily its perfectly legal to carry in your car here, so when I realized it I didn't have to go back to the house right away. I just couldn't get out of my car with it on.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I have a front and back color copy of both my DL and carry permit in my glove box for this exact reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Yes, a couple of times. But, like you, being in an OC state makes it simpler to run afoul of the statues. (I, too, have a puny version of a "wallet," in addition to my customary "beast.") Though, it's simple enough to do the routine pat-down each and every time I suit up, verifying I have the keys, wallet, CHL, gun, spare mags, light ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    I have a front and back color copy of both my DL and carry permit in my glove box for this exact reason.
    Since my DL and CHL both have my home address on them, I don't leave such things in my car's glove box for this reason.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If I sit too long, my wallet makes my bum tilt, and it's bad for my back. So, I sometimes take it out and put it on my desk. The problem is that my security e-pass is in my wallet and that the bathroom is on the other side of a security door. So, last Saturday, I found myself calling security (embarrassed) having locked myself out of my office area by leaving my wallet on my desk when I needed to pee
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

When I was living in a tipi with friends in Idaho we had a gallon sized milk jug we used as a chamber pot so it was unnecessary to go outside after dark. A quart sized empty would do fine in an office setting I should think.
    iblearning likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I haven't done it in a while, but anyone who carries for any length of time will eventually do it. Being VA, and OC'ing most of the time I don't really sweat it. Now if you live where OC is with a permit only, then it could be a big problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Since my DL and CHL both have my home address on them, I don't leave such things in my car's glove box for this reason.
    Doesn't your registration and insurance card also have that information? Or do you take those in the house each day?

Where I live I don't know if a photocopy of my pistol permit constitutes a legal document. It would be interesting to check it out.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

ďYou can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.Ē - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    I hate carrying a wallet, especially a fat one, and try to avoid it as much as possible. I probably have left mine a few times, but never had any issues. BTW the NRA Store has some nice wallets, I needed a new one and bought one of theirs recently.

Jerry Seinfeld/strong: Your back hurts because of your wallet. Itís huge.
    George Costanza: This isnít just my wallet. Itís an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
    Jerry Seinfeld: Well, your friend is morbidly obese.
    George Costanza: Well, at least I donít carry a purse.
    Jerry Seinfeld: Itís not a purse, itís European.
    Attached Images
    GeorgiaDawg and TxTchRR like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Ohio requires two forms of ID, including ones's CHL at all times while carrying concealed. Yes, I have forgotten my wallet several times while carrying. I have photocopies of my DL and CHL in my truck and in the seat bag on my bicycle.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Doesn't your registration and insurance card also have that information? Or do you take those in the house each day?
    I don't leave identifying information inside the car, no; certainly not when it carries my home address on it. That includes the registration, insurance, my DL (of course), my CHL and anything else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't leave identifying information inside the car, no; certainly not when it carries my home address on it. That includes the registration, insurance, my DL (of course), my CHL and anything else.
    Here we are required to have registration and proof of insurance inside the vehicle. Being as I am married, and we have 2 cars and 2 bikes, we would have to BOTH carry copies of all the doc required, and photocopies of some are not acceptable. I must leave my reg and proof of ins in the car. I just lock the car and lock the glove box.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    If I sit too long, my wallet makes my bum tilt, and it's bad for my back. So, I sometimes take it out and put it on my desk. The problem is that my security e-pass is in my wallet and that the bathroom is on the other side of a security door. So, last Saturday, I found myself calling security (embarrassed) having locked myself out of my office area by leaving my wallet on my desk when I needed to pee
    Relevance? Do they throw you in jail for using the facilities without a license in Canada?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I don't carry a wallet. I have a card holder with my DL and CWL and some other cards in it I carry in a front pocket.

I have left it at home at least twice in the last two years in the summer when changing from work pants to shorts.

Wisconsin has legal OC, but we also have 48 hours to produce a concealed carry license. I am not sure what would happen to my fire arm if stopped without the licenses, but it probably wouldn't be great.

I wasn't really worried about it, as it wasn't any more likely than any other day to become an issue (other than Murphy's influence).
    NRA Life Member

GH
    I would have gladly helped you lighten your wallet. Anything for a buddy.
    CanuckQue likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links