A few thoughts for new CCW permit holders

This is a discussion on A few thoughts for new CCW permit holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of posts here and on other websites talking about strapping on a gun and walking around in public. Most recommend wal-mart ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A few thoughts for new CCW permit holders

A few thoughts for new CCW permit holders

I see a lot of posts here and on other websites talking about strapping on a gun and walking around in public. Most recommend wal-mart aka wally world as the first destination. I've carried concealed for a couple years now, and want to share a few observations.

If your family (wife, children, parents, etc) can't tell if you're armed, you are doing it right. My personal goal was to carry around my wife and have her have to ask if I was armed. Since I can do this at will, I am confident that even a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) is going to be uncertain if I am armed or not. Your family will be your most critical observers.

99% of the "walmartians" will have no clue you are even within 10 feet of them. A few "shoppers" will look alert, and will be keeping an eye on their surroundings. Likely they are armed also, give em a nod, and keep walking.

In your car, or when seated at a restaurant consider where your gun is, how can you access it, and is it pressing against your clothing hard enough to print its outline.

I'm sure others have more to offer, so lets let them have at it:

2. Remove Ads

My wife and family would not even have to see me to answer someone asking if I was armed. Theyd just nod their heads and say " If hes still breathing, hes armed."
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If it is concealed it is irrelevant. A bulge is not a print. A bulge could be a fat wallet, a large object in a pocket, any number of things. To be concerned about people noticing an indescribable bulge would be paranoid.

Kind of funny... the last few times I've been out and seen a 'black, holster-looking' attachment peeking out on someone's hip, it has been a phone.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Kind of funny... the last few times I've been out and seen a 'black, holster-looking' attachment peeking out on someone's hip, it has been a phone.
    My experience also.

I have my cell phone on one side and my gun on the other. The cell phone is much more evident than my gun.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I'd say 99% of the "walmartians" around here don't really care if you're carrying concealed. More than a few are carrying themselves, or have a family member who is.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    All i've ever been concerned with,is can you see any part of the gun.So far as a bulge,i don't worry about it.Most people are to busy to pay any attention anyway.
    Ksgunner likes this.

VIP Member
    The vast majority of people are in such a Condition Oblivious you could walk by them with a slung AR-15 and unless you bumped them it would never be noticed. The same goes for printing, unless you are carrying a Desert Eagle under skin tight shirt 99.99% of the time you will not be noticed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Smile big, and nobody will notice your ugly shoes.

Can we add more advice for newbees to carry?

1. Remove the ammo from your gun and place in other room, have other member of house verify your gun is dry.

2. Dry fire practice with your gun toward the fireplace or safe direction in the following manner.
    A. Practice accessing your gun in holster through concealment and become good at instantly getting your grip, don't draw.
    B. Repeat but begin removing the gun from holster and coming up to low ready with finger out of trigger, repeat.
    C. Begin drawing and presenting the gun as if firing with finger always out and down frame
    D. Buy some fake ammo snap caps and start practicing dry firing so you reduce the wear and tear on your firing pin
    E. Practice mag changes by dry fire once, change your magazine (speed loader), dry fire once more and scan 360 for threats, repeat.

Repeat that thousands of times in 10-15 minute practice sessions. If the phone rings, doorbell, etc, reverify the gun is clear and ammo in other room before restarting. Never ever start practicing without checking over again, a couple times. And then still point in safe direction.

Next go on Netflix or have a friend order the "STREET SAFE" DVD they have. It's a little old with out of date hair styles and 80s look but a priceless 1 hour training DVD on avoiding crime, shootouts and how to escape them. It does NOT train you on gun use. It's all about showing how crimes develop on the streets and you can halt that process once you understand it. You may never actually need to use your gun after these skills are learned. Especially women.

I would also add one last nugget. Never walk a street, enter a situation, or area that you would NOT enter without a gun. Just because you HAVE a gun should never change this decision. Do not walk down that dark sidewalk with a gun if you would be too afraid to without the gun. Never assume the gun is actually going to help you. It's a last resort and you should assume in any gun shootout you will likely be shot at least once.

Start looking at other people and detecting if they carry. There's a long list somewhere of things to detect, and it's very accurate. I can tell just how someone walks, adjusts, wears their clothes and gear. Trust me, not everyone is oblivious.

I wish others here would add some more advice along these lines.

For me, the wallmart walk was not about testing my concealment (primarily), but more for getting over the initial nervousness of carrying in public, training myself to have confidence that I can go about my day without constantly brushing my arm against it.
    thebucketeer and Aceoky like this.

Spovik makes a valid point, Walmart is a good way to get the confidence that you aren't being eyeballed by every patron you walk by, but if you want to test concealment go visit some friends or family, most of the time they are closer to your proximity, will either hug you straight away or when you are parting ways and are (usually) more observant of your behavior and what you do with your hands/arms while just having a normal conversation. Unless you are CC by way of OWB under a shirt you are not really going to print enough to be noticed. Bending or stretching will be the only way you'll show and most of the time it's going to be some little kid standing near you that will notice. If someone does spot a bulge then they are either carrying/do carry or they are looking for it. It takes a while to get used to having a heavy object in your belt, but most people are either too busy, way too oblivious or have their head way too far up their own......well you know.......to even be bothered with the fact that you have a pistol with you.

I am new to CC. Took class in Feb, got permit in April. Carried for the first time in public in May (stupid IL).

To prepare myself, I first read up a lot on what to expect. I also got my carry holster quickly after taking my class. I carried my gun around the house (full mag, empty chamber) and yard every chance I got for a few weeks. Then switched to loaded. I did not tell my wife or kids and went about life as normal, wearing whatever I wore while out in public. Everything from hoodies to t-shirts.

After about a month of doing this, and no one point it out, I asked my wife if she had noticed I had been carrying for the past month in the house. She said "carrying what?" She and my daughter had bumped my gun a few times, but were none the wiser.

Carried for the first time in public in May. Took my daughter to the Doctor, went to lowes, clothes shopping (it was the wife's b-day), lunch and a few other places. I made a conscious effort to not tug at or pull my shirt. I did initially have the "everyone is staring at me" feeling, but that quickly lessened. (dont know that it went away) I did find myself more aware of my surroundings than I normally am, and I usually consider myself to be pretty aware of what is going on.

I think carrying around the house before hand, without telling anyone, and having no one notice, helped a lot. Also helped a lot to be aware of what other first time carriers go through.

BTW, I carry my full size px4, IWB.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40CalCenterMass View Post
    Spovik makes a valid point, Walmart is a good way to get the confidence that you aren't being eyeballed by every patron you walk by, but if you want to test concealment go visit some friends or family, most of the time they are closer to your proximity, will either hug you straight away or when you are parting ways and are (usually) more observant of your behavior and what you do with your hands/arms while just having a normal conversation. Unless you are CC by way of OWB under a shirt you are not really going to print enough to be noticed. Bending or stretching will be the only way you'll show and most of the time it's going to be some little kid standing near you that will notice. If someone does spot a bulge then they are either carrying/do carry or they are looking for it. It takes a while to get used to having a heavy object in your belt, but most people are either too busy, way too oblivious or have their head way too far up their own......well you know.......to even be bothered with the fact that you have a pistol with you.
    We were recently visited for a week by our Massachusetts anti-gunner relatives. We didn't talk guns while they were here. When they left, they asked my wife if I still carried a gun and when I did so. When she told them that I was armed at all times during the week they lived in our house, they were surprised. I think concealment worked!
    Aceoky and thebucketeer like this.

Ruger & 3speedHolster.jpg DSCN4581b.jpg

Not a conventional carry system (3speed Holster).
    It was three weeks into wearing it that my wife finally asked me, If I was concealing my gun. when I told her It's been everywhere with us for the last three weeks, she just rolled her eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links