Michigan CPL application issue

This is a discussion on Michigan CPL application issue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied for my CPL in early March and found out today that the Sheriff's dept is only processing background checks from mid Feburary. Now ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By eipo
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Michigan CPL application issue

I applied for my CPL in early March and found out today that the Sheriff's dept is only processing background checks from mid Feburary. Now the law here is a shall issue, with 60 day turn around time to get the background info back otherwise the board "shall" issue if all the other parts have been met. Here is also a 45 day time limit for the board to render a dicision once thy get the background check from the police. I was told that I can expect it in August if everything checks out. I applied on March 4th.

There is some question if these are business days or Calander days... But either way, it is very frustrating.

Do you know of anyone who has requested that a temp be issued based on the regulations? Or is just kicking over a beehive? I don't think it s worth paying a lawyer because I know it will be issued someday... But who knows when that some day will be.

What are your thoughts?

3 months is a little long. I only waited 8 weeks for mine. But I'm in Oakland county. I know Wayne (Detroit's county) has a 3-4 month wait. Ugh.

The West side of the state is can be very slow especially Kent county. I got mine in Genesee county last year within 2 weeks.

IIRC, you would fall under the timeframe of them being required to issue you a temporary CPL until they can issue you the permanent one. Good luck, though.

What county are you in? Have you checked Michigan Gun Owners
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwent View Post
    The West side of the state is can be very slow especially Kent county. I got mine in Genesee county last year within 2 weeks.
    Yep... I live in Kent County. I was surprised at how bad it is. Makes me wonder why it is so slow here but so fast in other places. Same background check system...

That is the reason for the question in the OP. The time frames are in place

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    IIRC, you would fall under the timeframe of them being required to issue you a temporary CPL until they can issue you the permanent one. Good luck, though.

What county are you in? Have you checked Michigan Gun Owners
    I posted a few questions in there regarding time frames and processes and it appears that no one actually knows of anyone who has ever been issued a temp for a new permit based on time limits.

There is also a debate on how the time limit is calculated... Calander v business.

You might see if someone there knows the state statutes really well....... we have one that says if days are specified, it is calendar days... unless specifically stated otherwise.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    (13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). If the concealed weapon licensing board denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol, the concealed weapon licensing board shall within 5 business days do both of the following:

From here.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425b

Your sheriff in Kent Co. is dragging his heels, as this is his way of protesting that which he does not approve, and that is the "Shall Issue" demand place on him by the state.
    If it takes him longer to process the application and get it to the board, he feels like he is smugly beating the system.
    Its not fair, but that is why they call it politics.
    MJClark likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Your permit should be in the mail soon! Expect around 80 days, little over 2.5 months is nothing to wait compared to carrying the rest of your life! I also live in west MI and applied Jan 23 and was holding permit first week in April. You have to remember once the FBI check is back it will be processed at the next gun board meeting, they only meet once a month which happens to fall on the first thur of the month. If your application comes back that Fri you wait another month. Be patient I know the feeling of checking the mailbox five times a day hoping it will magically appear but waiting is a game we all played and we know how you feel!

I had no idea it could take so long. I live in northern MI and it took between 1-2 weeks to get mine through the mail. Sorry to hear it's such a drag for you downstaters.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Ottawa county here. Applied in Mid March. They are saying about 12 weeks to get the license. Had a friend who just applied in Allegan county, only took about 4 weeks, and he has his CPL in hand. Seems Ottawa county is nguns "gun friendly" county.

Aspalmat if you look at the cpl reports by county you will see that Ottawa is also processing approx double the licenses then Allegan! So its not crazy with double the amount of work = double the wait time.

Angry Very frustrated with Ottawa County

This does not make sense in anyway, shape or form! I can go directly to the PD, apply for a purchase permit, get approved and make my purchase utilizing basically the exact same system to approve my CPL Application - why the lengthy delay in application times.

I feel so naked without my firearm and it's only been 2-3 weeks since my exp. date. Nothing's changed - no misd or felonies, no warrants, etc. Why the lengthy hold up in the process(applied early July)? Why is my constitutional right being withheld from me?

I recently aquired a new DL - NO WAIT. Instantly approved.

I hear other counties are very quick to return the application; denied or approved. Don't play the volume or population game with me. Large volume sale within some gun store or high volume PD's get instant approval, what's the difference?

Signed;
    Feeling unsafe and frastrated.

P.S. - There are no restrictions on the criminals in the area I live in - they're still carrying.

Distinguished Member
    Here in KY the legislature passed a law this year saying applications must be processed in 60 days instead of the 90 it was previously. Only problem is there was a 120 day backlog before they changed it. And there was no funding for additional staff to process the apps quicker.
    Filed my app at the Sheriffs office 8/2 and was told it would likely be November before I saw my permit. State didn't even cash my check till 8/23. Hoping that's a sign that at least the ball is rolling on their end.

LSS, we feel your pain. Tons of people across the country are flooding the system for permits. Not only did Sandy Hook and Aurora CO cause a panic rush on guns and ammo, but permits as well.

At least it seems you have a back door for a temp permit, most of us aren't so lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by colt38super View Post
    This does not make sense in anyway, shape or form! I can go directly to the PD, apply for a purchase permit, get approved and make my purchase utilizing basically the exact same system to approve my CPL Application - why the lengthy delay in application times.

I feel so naked without my firearm and it's only been 2-3 weeks since my exp. date. Nothing's changed - no misd or felonies, no warrants, etc. Why the lengthy hold up in the process(applied early July)? Why is my constitutional right being withheld from me?

I recently aquired a new DL - NO WAIT. Instantly approved.

I hear other counties are very quick to return the application; denied or approved. Don't play the volume or population game with me. Large volume sale within some gun store or high volume PD's get instant approval, what's the difference?

Signed;
    Feeling unsafe and frastrated.

P.S. - There are no restrictions on the criminals in the area I live in - they're still carrying.
    Not the same at all. I realize the frustration, but it is what it is.

OP that average turn around in the state is about 90 days. The west side of the state has been flooded with new applications. So they are falling behind a bit, to say the least. Be patient, it will arrive....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sponsored Links