CCer's gun goes off,in mall in S.C.

This is a discussion on CCer's gun goes off,in mall in S.C. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is over a year old,but,involves no concealed weapons signs..I was going to email the writer, and ask him about this,but,he must not be with ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: CCer's gun goes off,in mall in S.C.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar

CCer's gun goes off,in mall in S.C.

This is over a year old,but,involves no concealed weapons signs..I was going to email the writer, and ask him about this,but,he must not be with that station anymore.Hopefully,he misquoted,the Solicitor's version of the no gun signs for S.C.

No charges filed in accidental shooting at Inlet Square Mall,Murrell's Inlet,S.C.
    Posted: 02.15.2012 at 12:39 PM Updated: 02.15.2012 at 5:50 PM,by Ryan Naquin

Just before a veterans pinning ceremony, a woman was shot in the leg when a gun went off inside another woman's purse.

The bullet went into the victim's right leg and lodged in her left leg.Police said gun discharged,when the woman placed her purse on the ground.
    "The woman actually came to us and said listen I think this is what happened and showed us her purse," said Sergeant Robert Kegler.

After presenting the details of the investigation to the 15th Circuit Solicitor's Office, both police and the solicitor's office decided not to file charges. Police say the woman had a valid CCP, allowing her to have the gun.Horry County Deputy Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said the signs posted outside of the mall,aren't legal. Below,is the law,by the Solicitor,according to the reporter:

" To be legal, the signs need to be, between three and a half to five feet from the door. The one's at Inlet Square Mall are too far away".

The so many feet from the door,is a law,i've never seen,for S.C.

The no gun signs,,were the same in 2011,2012,and no different now,i thought..The signs for S.C.must be a certain size,certain writing,and on every door entrance,according to the S.C. Law Enforcement Division.

Thankfully the lady was ok. It probably wasn't what she had planned that day,ugh.

No charges filed in accidental shooting at Inlet Square Mall - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

that would suck...

thats why a purse is no place for a gun without some special thought to holstering the firearm.

One of the first of many rules I learned about CCing is.... get a good holster that covers the trigger.
    Sister, USM1976, ccw9mm and 11 others like this.

Obviously she'd just thrown it in her purse with no holster and one of the myriad objects in there with it snagged the trigger.

Idiot.

I dislike the concept of "purse carry" anyway.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    That's not good.You just never know..I was curious what kind of gun,she had..I searched google,never found out.
    I've had my CCP,since 2007 and the thing with the sign having to be so many feet from the door,is one,i've never heard of either,Mandpgrl.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Some people just aren't smart enough or responsible enough to be allowed to CC.

Of course, the same could be said for driving or other activities that require some semblance of common sense and judgement in order to be done safely.
    GeorgiaShooter and Bonernor like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    That's why if she is going to purse carry, she should get a 'gun' purse. There are a lot better selection and styles available than just a couple years ago.

Gun Purses

Amazon.com: concealed carry handbags
    Aceoky and ConceaMilwaukee like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Bad situation that could've been prevented. I'm just glad it didn't turn out worse than it did.

I don't want my wife to carry in her purse. If she's going to carry, it should be on her body somewhere.

If someone wants or needs to carry in a purse, they should have a dedicated pocket or section in that purse for the gun where objects can't work their way into the trigger guard or up the barrel.
    perfection likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    If somebody takes your purse, your gun is gone. I do sometimes carry in my purse (actually live not far from where this happened) but the gun is holstered where the trigger is covered and the purse is wrapped around my body (cross over my shoulder to the other side).

If they will ever make a gun purse that is not leather, I'd be interested but I do not do leather clothing and such.
    Last edited by Sister; May 15th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Similar incident occurred in a Houston suburb some two years ago. In other articles, this particular man was said to have forgotten he has the dierringer style handgun in the pocket of his jacket. The elderly woman was not as stable as this article indicates and was hospitalized for sometime.

HPD: Woman shot in rear after man accidentally drops gun inside restaurant | khou.com Houston

The civil liability is very high while carrying a firearm. Criminal charges could have been pursued, but the DA's Office declined in the Houston case.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I very rarely ever use a purse.I keep mine in a holster of some kind,and purse to small for that..A lady had a purse,with the strap over her shoulder one day,not long ago.A man came up behind her,and was trying to get a hold of the strap.He didn't,but,she was lucky.Maybe,a wake up call for her.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't know where they came up with that distance, it isn't what the law states. The law states at the entrance doors, if no door then it says must be posted around the premises however it doesn't give a distance. The closest thing I saw was specific height placement.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

DBS
    It actually amazes me that with the millions (literally) of CHL holders out there, NDs don't happen more often. In some states, including mine, the bar to get your permit is set pretty low.

In fact, the local paper just reported that VA is experiencing a flood of non-resident CHL applicants because we honor online CHL classes.

Yeah considering a couple hundred thousand people a year die from doctors making mistakes, this is not even on the radar as a widespread issue. However, what a total idiot this woman must be. Likely NOT a revolver either. DAO triggers dont just go off ratting around a purse. Wish they stated the model firearm for reference to the operation of it. Can you imagine someone going condition 1 with a Glock and just dropping it into a purse. You could also have a 1911 style with the safety knocked to the off position then be vulnerable I guess. Either way it requires a couple of levels of negligence and immaturity.

Quote Originally Posted by DBS View Post
    It actually amazes me that with the millions (literally) of CHL holders out there, NDs don't happen more often.
    Pretty good evidence to anti-gunners that gun owners, and CPL holders in particular, are generally very responsible people and not a bunch of rednecks swigging moonshine and popping off rounds into the air every few seconds.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links